How long will you wait for a guitar?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was looking at Raines website the other day https://www.mattraines.com/online-shop/ ... de-archtop

Twelve months to make one after you order. I've seen other custom shops where the wait is nine.

My first guitar I saved for six months. It was a Gibson ES 335. I did a lot of borrowing friends guitars in that six months. It was a great guitar that was way to heavy and big for me. There were other instruments I waited over a year for (like my ztar)

I'm in a save and buy mode. I want desperately to rebuild my collection. I had 20 went down to four then three, Bought 4 sold one of the new ones.
I'm hoping January I can buy another.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

A "new" something always brings some extra focus for a while exploring it - guitars, synths or whatever.

I waited for a year - not because it was a queue, just because prices were on the way down on pre V-class Taylor I had my eyes on. Shops are eager to make room for new stuff - as we are too.

So it brings that shimmering sound that my Martin does not have - just as a 335 brings something that LP doesn't have etc.

As when experimenting with sounds of the electrics - every sound inspire to something different when it comes to music.

And then how to get the most out of it as recorded - the last year with a lot of acoustic playing big nice reverbs and see which ones work better - is also part of it.

Master your tools kind of. :)

How do you know that this guitar has the sound you want? It hasn't been built yet! And how do you know that there are no other guitars that sound like it, of those that you can buy right away? You haven't tried all of them!

I mean, what part is hunting for the sound, and what part is pure elitism and credit card wankery?

If you are involved with the design then you should already know the characteristics of the instrument being designed. However most of the time the guitar has already been designed and a prototype has been built it's just up to the luthier to assemble it.

The rest is listening to the sound. Let's say you buy a Victor Baker. You should already be aware of what the pups sound like in the context of the body shape and woods.

Take...Victor Baker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dfCDJN0Zmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARs43G-oMNA

Or Slaman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkN0GWEqT4

Once you've played enough guitars and watched enough videos you should know the sound you are going to get. A strat isn't going to sound like a paul or a jem.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I don't think I'd spend €€€€s on a custom acoustic, and I know I would never do it for an electric.
Acoustics are harder to get 'right,' especially if there's no CnC involved. It is more of a crapshoot than for electrics, imo.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I would rather have quite a bit more disposable income before I considered a custom made guitar, but don’t know I would want to be on a long waiting list for one.

If it includes saving, many years. I've been saving for a Lowden acoustic for two years already, and I'm still saving. Maybe next year. :) Custom orders normally take around four months from the order date. I am happy waiting as I know it will be worth it!

I bet it will be amazing!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Cheers. I still intend to visit Coda in the UK, when I am a bit closer to having enough dosh. They usually have about 50 Lowdens in stock. I need to try a load to really hone in on the size/shape/wood combo and various options. Or you never know, I might actually prefer the sound of a Martin sitting near them. ;)

You're totally right about it being a crapshoot though, custom acoustic guitars. That is THE one big problem. If you order a custom guitar, you don't get to play it first... I also really like the look of Brook and Turnstone guitars in the UK (Turnstone would make me an all Yew guitar!!!), tiny one or two luthier run businesses, but again, mainly custom only, with at least a one year wait list.

I keep changing my idea week to week about what I want, but the last few days have been dreaming about a Lowden F50C with Madagascan RW back and sides, and an Alpine Spruce top, with various custom options (cutaway, bevel, figured maple neck etc.)

If I save enough to be able to afford a custom guitar, then go and try a load, if I DON'T fall in love with one in the shop/on the day/off the shelf, I can still order a custom... ;)

Sounds like the best plan. Play as many as possible, find one that you don't want to leave the shop without. Unless you want custom inlays (my brother had his initials at the 14th fret on his custom), then yep, try before you buy. Even so, it's easy to get into the 6k-10k range wtith Lowdens. Too easy, sadly.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Yes, for sure. Things like the bevel and shallower neck profile I want to be able to try before committing, as I could save a fair bit if I don't feel they are necessary. Am looking at 35 and 50 series custom Lowdens right now, although will try their lower range too (again, could save a fair chunk if I love them), but right, looking at between £5k-£8k.

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:55 pm ....but right, looking at between £5k-£8k.

$3k is the most I've spent on a guitar. I spent stupid amounts on my studio back in the early 90's Shameful stupid amounts.

so far 5.5 years roughly.

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 pm so far 5.5 years roughly.
This could be a good story......

tapper mike wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:34 am I was looking at Raines website the other day https://www.mattraines.com/online-shop/ ... de-archtop

Twelve months to make one after you order. I've seen other custom shops where the wait is nine.

My first guitar I saved for six months. It was a Gibson ES 335. I did a lot of borrowing friends guitars in that six months. It was a great guitar that was way to heavy and big for me. There were other instruments I waited over a year for (like my ztar)

I'm in a save and buy mode. I want desperately to rebuild my collection. I had 20 went down to four then three, Bought 4 sold one of the new ones.
I'm hoping January I can buy another.

Paging 'cptgone', paging 'cptgone' - I've been waiting 6 months now, and I'm worried.

viewtopic.php?f=298&t=529401&start=210

As for the 335, this was a good little mini-documentary I watched tonight - A short history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkzyOkJS6dk

And this is Robben Ford, rocking a 335, with Larry Carlton's son on bass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61jK5BjYBz4

Larry is one of the major proponents of the 335 as you probably know. And he said it good in that interview - basically the 335 is one of the most versatile guitars you can get. I think he also said he doesn't own any other guitars - just that one! :o

It's just a great guitar for blues, for jazz, for rock. What else is there?

Its size puts some people off, and I can understand that. It can be a bit unwieldy depending, but if like me you're just playing sitting down these days, I find it ok. It's certainly not 'top-heavy'. :lol:

I won't be buying any more guitars for a while. Hopefully I can get the ones I have set up and good to go. Maybe one of those Bigsby's you can take on and take off without too much hassle, either on my 335 or LP.

I'm low end. But I'm also happy with what I got. I'd never wait for a guitar to be built for me, or built in a factory. You either got it in stock or you don't. But sure, if you got the time and patience and cash, go for it. If you know what you want. And even if you're willing to take a flyer... :tu:

Return to “Guitars”