Your favorite strings!

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On the success of the picks threads, I wanted to know what string/gauge, and type you use? Acoustic is fine here.

I am using 9-42 EB's currently electric, but I've also used 9-46 D'addario (spelling?) as well. I'd prefer a higher gauge but I have CTS, so I want to be careful.

old
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Whatever sort it came with....

I did change the ones on the Variax a bit back actually - some Elixir ones or other, 10 gauge I think it was. Have lasted f**king ages. :love: For the acoustics last time I changed them it was some cheapo Harley Benton branded ones I got off ebay as a bargain. Funny colour, but seem ok.

On the bass VI (in Fiesta Red) not a lot of choice - it's either pay ludicrous money, or use the D'addario ones.

Hink wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:52 amold
Ewwwwww.

Elixir nano PBs on my steel string acoustics. Various gauges.
Daddario .010-.046s on my electrics. Pyramid flatwounds on my Gretsch 12er.
Savarez 500ARJ on my classicals.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Monels or Daddario NBs (both 13s) on my spruce/hog acoustic. Way prefer the sound of these to "regular" 80/20 or PBs on this guitar, and they keep their tone a lot longer too, especially in the bass, it's much tighter.

Daddario Chromes (12s) on my Tele. Only used flatwounds on electric for about 15 years now, just prefer the vintage tone and smooth feel.

La Bella Flats on my Jazz Bass. Again, only used flats on bass for about 15 years too.

Depends. Some guitars (particularly acoustics) really benefit from a new set of strings, and some benefit from the strings being aged.

There’s a big difference in changing the gauge of the strings (and obviously after a new set up after changing them), but one thing I also do is consider the string gauges individually as it’s sometimes beneficial to exchange one or more strings for a gauge that better suits the instrument. The G on a standard set and the low B on a 7 string are the ones I’m most likely to consider.

Brand I’m not too concerned about, but I might be a bit more picky about acoustic strings.

I have a set of elixir on my acoustic. They are old as anything but still sound pretty good.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Anyone use Tapewounds? I'm thinking of putting them on my box.

Mostly D'addario xl's on the solid bodies and Chromes on the hollow body.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Been using GHS Boomers on my guitars for well over a decade. Currently 10-60 on the Strat in Drop C. Wanted to put the same thing on my Chapman but the other day I got to experience (on a friend's guitar) what new D'Addario NYXL strings are like and I'm considering getting a set of those to try, especially since I'm getting annoyed at the huge spread from the 10-60 set so I'll probably try something like 11-56 or such.

On my (4-string) Bass, I've found that I'm quite happy with D'Addario EXL160BT, which is a 50-120 set, also in Drop C.
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:02 am Elixir nano PBs on my steel string acoustics. Various gauges.
Question: Do they not suffer from the worn out/unraveling thing? That's what my problem is they get grooves and unravel and they it's like "hey, I paid a fortune for these and now I've got to replace them"

Chris Walton wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:38 pm Been using GHS Boomers on my guitars for well over a decade. Currently 10-60 on the Strat in Drop C. Wanted to put the same thing on my Chapman but the other day I got to experience (on a friend's guitar) what new D'Addario NYXL strings are like and I'm considering getting a set of those to try, especially since I'm getting annoyed at the huge spread from the 10-60 set so I'll probably try something like 11-56 or such.

On my (4-string) Bass, I've found that I'm quite happy with D'Addario EXL160BT, which is a 50-120 set, also in Drop C.
When you say "drop C" do you mean only the C is dropped or is it a whole tone down and THEN drop the C??? I hear people talk about drop C all the time and I don't know what that means.

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:39 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:02 am Elixir nano PBs on my steel string acoustics. Various gauges.
Question: Do they not suffer from the worn out/unraveling thing? That's what my problem is they get grooves and unravel and they it's like "hey, I paid a fortune for these and now I've got to replace them"
Nope. Saw that with the polywebs many years ago, but I've never seen it with nanos, and I use them extensively. Thing is, none of my acoustics get played on its own. I choose one depending on mood or whatever, so I never play the strings down to the point of degradation. I can tell when they've gone off, though, which is usually the point where I change them. Generally, I leave a set on for 3-4 months, sometimes longer.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

whatever they have in the shop.
used to be a choice between ernie balls and dadarrios. but the local guitar/music shop is closed now, so ill be finding out what they have on the market if any of mine break.

never really found myself noticing a huge difference, but then im shite on geetar :D

Ah, I see.

Return to “Guitars”