All things pedal related.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

codec_spurt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:01 pm Just unboxed the MS-50-G.
I recorded the Zoom unit through my Fender Mustang I amp and in to my Zoom H2n recorder:
https://soundcloud.com/codex_pert/zoom0018wav
In reverse?
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:28 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:01 pm Just unboxed the MS-50-G.
I recorded the Zoom unit through my Fender Mustang I amp and in to my Zoom H2n recorder:
https://soundcloud.com/codex_pert/zoom0018wav
In reverse?
Not sure what you mean.

It's a volume swell, bit like 'violining' (riding the volume knob to ease off the attack on the initial transient).

It's just the guitar going in to the pedal going in to the amp. Pretty basic.

The volume swell makes it sound a bit 'reverse' maybe. Is that what you mean?

codec_spurt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:10 pm It's a volume swell, bit like 'violining' (riding the volume knob to ease off the attack on the initial transient).
The volume swell makes it sound a bit 'reverse' maybe. Is that what you mean?
Yep, that'll be it.

Is that reverb from the MS-50-G?

Uncle E wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:41 am Mosky makes some cool analog multi FX pedals. One of them even has a power supply built-in to it. I ordered a bunch of them years ago when Mosky first started and was really impressed. Their version of the OCD is more accurate than most Chinese clones I've tried.
I don't know what an OCD sounds like, but this Mosky Obsessive Overdrive sounds lush, amazing, really nice through a Laney LC30 II.
It's become no.1, move over the Mooer Hustle Drive.
I now understand why an OCD pedals are desirable.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle E wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:41 am
Is that reverb from the MS-50-G?
No. It's the reverb from the Fender Mustang amp.

The effect I'm using on the Zoom is the 'SlowATTCK'

This effect slows the attack of each note, resulting in a violin-like performance.

There's a list of its presets here:
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... nglish.pdf

It's like the 3rd or whatever preset in the list. Which makes sense.

So no reverb on that one from the pedal.

The Fender Mustang reverb is pretty good. It's basic. But it really does the job.

The delays are mediocre and the other fx are too. But the amp shines where it needs to. A decent Fender amp sim would need a decent reverb sim and it does not disappoint. Not out of this world, but definitely adequate.

It’s very smooth in your recording.

Those Zoom pedals are freakishly awesome value. I imagine you could do some seriously out there things stacking them.

Picked up a Green Rhino the other day, and it’s actually my first ever TS! Figured I might want one at some stage, and I like how this one sounds, so.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:40 am It’s very smooth in your recording.

Might have told a lie. I only plugged this unit in and messed with it for about 2 minutes.

I just turned it back on to check and step through what was on there, and there seems to be a stack of about 5 FX units (I think you can stack up to 6 - DSP permitting).

The first one was indeed 'SlowATTCK'.

The next one was 'Squeak' - Simulation of the popular Pro Co Rat famous for its edgy distortion sound.

After that there was 'LineSel' - Sound input into the LineSel effect is sent directly to the OUTPUT jacks when OFF and to the next effect in order when ON.

Then, 'GraphicEQ' - This unit has a 6-band equalizer

And finally 'Delay' - This long delay has a maximum length of 4000 ms.

So maybe what you were hearing in the 'smoothness' was the included delay. I switched it off and it definitely misses something. There is still reverb coming off the amp of course, but both combined together do make for a nice solid sound. I think maybe that is what you were hearing. It's not an obvious delay.

The slow attack thing provides the initial envelope shaping. The distortion and EQ add a bit of heft on top. The delay puts the icing on the cake.

I could reset it to the factory settings - https://seventrumpet.com/factory-data-r ... om-ms-50g/

But for now I'll just go with what I got and mess some more. Like I said, I only used it for a few minutes. Take this all with a grain of salt. The documentation is good but rather terse.

In all likelihood though I was probably wrong when I said it was just that one effect. The presets are made up of up to 6 effects. So I think the FX chain I just described to you is probably the one. It sounds the same, and it's the first one on the pedal, so...

This is a deep unit. As I said before, I can see why non-nerds would get very frustrated with it, but for those willing to spend a bit of time, I think this might just be as close to DSP heaven as you can get for 90 bucks!

But don't discount that bit of ambient roundness the Fender Mustang amp's reverb gives off - it's very basic, but very nice!

Also keep in mind this was both mono in and mono out, apart from the stereo recording (technically) by the ZoomH2n, which would have recorded in stereo, a mono speaker out of the Fender amp. But it wasn't stereo out from the pedal, is what I'm trying to say. But guitar amps are always mono, even when they have two speakers like my old 2x12 amps (Peavey Classic being one). 2 speakers, but both chucking out the same signal. And those amps had a very nice Spring 'verb in them, too!

I'll report back more when I get some time to play with the new presets I bought and when I get to mess with them a whole lot more in PC software for organising them. It'll be a bit of a learning curve, but I'm sure it won't be that daunting.

kvotchin wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:20 pm Those Zoom pedals are freakishly awesome value. I imagine you could do some seriously out there things stacking them.

Picked up a Green Rhino the other day, and it’s actually my first ever TS! Figured I might want one at some stage, and I like how this one sounds, so.

Hopefully they get a firmware upgrade. I know the MS-50-G got a massive upgrade to the MS-70-CDR's reverbs and delays. Nearly 200 FX!

These are just black box DSP machines with CPU's inside to power them, via the standard 1/4" jack. The quality of the coding provides the sound and the quality of the GUI abstraction provides the usability. I would say after only spending 2 minutes with the thing that they got the first thing a lot more right than the latter. But I'll figure it out. This isn't rocket science.

A lot of DSP knowledge is being pushed in to a small space here, so there is bound to be a bottle neck. What you save on financial outlay and physical space, you will have to pay back with some effort to get out of it 'what YOU want'. But then again, the presets might just be all you need - there's certainly enough of them.

Looking forward to hooking up my true stereo MS-70-CDR pedal after this little beast. I bought them as much for their small size and to just be 'aux' FX sends for my new little mixer. You just can't get physically smaller. It is impossible. Not if you want to use fingers to control them anyway. Lowest price, smallest physical footprint, not too much of a headfuck to operate. Solidly built. Still being developed in the DSP department with free updates to the firmware.

Winning!

How are they with noise? I've found that some low-priced digital pedals have weird noise, not the white noise hiss of some analog pedals but something else. Eventide and Strymon pedals do not have this issue but Line 6 and VHT pedals do.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:19 am How are they with noise? I've found that some low-priced digital pedals have weird noise, not the white noise hiss of some analog pedals but something else. Eventide and Strymon pedals do not have this issue but Line 6 and VHT pedals do.
So far, it's hard for me to say, just messing about for a bit and going through a slightly noisey amp anyway.

I know a few people have said they don't like how the pedal works on bypass and to get a true bypass setup if they are wanting to use the pedal like that. I really don't know. I'll figure it out. I guess that's a different issue. I don't think it was noise they were complaining about but loss of signal.

I found this true bypass pedal in the UK - https://www.brightonion.co.uk/mini-loop ... ct-reviews

I've probably read about 200-300 reviews of this pedal and then just gave up! There are many more on line. Amazon and Sweetwater are good resources and can be trusted (to an extent). Overall this pedal gets about a 4/5 rating. Its biggest criticisms being its complexity, not its robustness or sound (though the bypass problem has been noted).

With regard to noise, I also remember people saying that using the USB connection to power it is not good and makes it noisy - best way is batteries or a proper PSU. So that is something to consider again.

Plus the pedal has a built in noise suppressor that is supposed to work quite good. I heard a few people complaining about noise, but others saying it was just the algorithms they were using and to chain in the noise suppressor to cancel it out.

I've read a lot of reviews of this pedal. I don't think it's perfect. I doubt it is high end signal to noise ratio, but it seems to be workable from most reports. Just use a proper PSU and the onboard DSP noise suppressor and it will probably be ok.

ZNR - ZOOM's unique noise reduction cuts noise during pauses in playing without affecting the tone.

Anyway, I'll put it through some real world environments in the next few days. I actually don't mind noise at all, but I am, however, extremely sensitive to it.

Out of the many reviews that I read, noise didn't seem to be a problem, though the slight dulling of sound in bypass was frequently mentioned. This isn't uncommon though for some pedals.

The used EHX Good Vibes I bought arrived, and I like it. Just gave it a test ride with fuzz from my EHX Attack Decay, a little voltage starved overdrive from my EHX Germanium OD and low gain Rat in front of it. Seems pretty versatile, with the chorus/vibrato toggle switch. Little downside: comes with a 9.6V adapter, may sound less good on 9V.

cptgone wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 am Little downside: comes with a 9.6V adapter, may sound less good on 9V.
No man!

You got to go with dat brown sound!

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... lting+amps

Somebody cloned Audiority's Big Goat ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv-94O_uE_Q

Return to “Guitars”