All things pedal related.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tech, eh, whatever next?
https://youtu.be/xi4gHziKntg
Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

I'm a floorboard guy myself. I've had my Boss GT8 since 2005. I just find them easier to work with then individual pedals. I have been playing more with the idea of getting some pedals for recording though just for some more variety.

a lot of my pedals I built, my favorite is a ts clone with boutique mods :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I started with individual pedals, moved to multi-FX units, then back to pedals.

I much prefer the configurability of individual pedals, and while FX boards have improved greatly, I often find they have a gap in the kind of sounds they produce where I struggle to dial a particular sound in.

I’m firmly in the individual pedals camp. Though I do have one multi-fx in that pile. That ever-growing pile. :D

Is anyone playing pedals only, without an amp/cab?

(Listening through normal stereo speakers, or headphones.)

perfumer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:03 pm Is anyone playing pedals only, without an amp/cab?

Sometimes, but usually running the pedal chain through my Tech21 SansAmp pedal then into my mixer.

Most of my noodlings use a Harley Benton American sound into a DI, sometimes an overdrive before it, using monitors or headphones.
I have a Boss GT-8, but find that pedals give me a more of a natural sound.

Just ordered a Compressor. Items I might consider, fuzz, Suhr Riot clone, treble booster, Rat clone and a OCD clone. Never been a pedal person.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

perfumer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:03 pm Is anyone playing pedals only, without an amp/cab?

if you have a mixer you can go straight in, or if you're using your audio card.
just be sure to have the right input ins/line engaged.
then gain stage as normal.

ISTR reading that Hendrix did that on an early cut, just going through a Fuzz Face... "Purple Haze," maybe?
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

https://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/ is a rather good forum for discussing, well, DIY pedals.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Jafo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 pm https://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/ is a rather good forum for discussing, well, DIY pedals.
There's also
https://www.cheaperpedals.com/
https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/
These caught my attention below.
Another TS clone, Biyang OD-8 X-Drive Overdrive, with added features.
Caline CP-12 Pure Sky Overdrive sounds decent.
youtube.com/watch?v=EDpQfAruBWw
K&B Range 2 Treble Booster.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Sometimes, but usually running the pedal chain through my Tech21 SansAmp pedal then into my mixer.
I use to hear people talking about using pedals direct and wonder how...I kept trying different pedals in the 80's and 90's with no satisfaction, the sound is cold, harsh and brittle, it lacks any character whatsoever (for me anyhow). Then in the late 90's I went into daddy's junky music in nashua nh after buying my akai dps12i and bought a sansamp gt2...wow, one of the biggest jaw droppers for me tone wise ever...but it's an emulator and has basic speaker emulation.

I also bought my Marshall 9000 tube pre-amp there...had it well over 20 years and still I never use it (it does work well with my tube power amps but it's the least convenient of my amps to set up and often overkill). It was actually after giving up on finding any way to direct record with the Marshall that I tried the gt2. The gt2 also makes an ok od but typically I decided that most direct tones from devices sucked for me.

Of course that was before IRs, the line outs out of amps leave a lot to be desired to imho, but with an IR they are much better. I dont use it as my main track but I have used my track from line outs with an IR getting interesting results. (again, I record 5, 6 or 7 tracks for every guitar take from different sources)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:53 pm a lot of my pedals I built, my favorite is a ts clone with boutique mods :tu:
The Ibanez TS9DX modded with the correct opamp and capacitors is my current favorite TS. The Suhr is also very nice.

Return to “Guitars”