Pick your PICK!!

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:00 pm
Mats Eriksson wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:42 pm All extreme ones, everything in between too, I don't use one pick...it should be the thinnest thinnest to the hardest heaviest:

Or these, stone picks, as hard and heavy as they come:

Neither of them can sound like the other. No matter how you twist and turn them or attack them to the strings. The super-soft green Sharkfin for strum (especiallu 12 string acoustic), and the stone pick for shred, metal, and specieal weirdo Adrian Belew effects. And of course, its Apex use, making an electric gutiar sound like a bagpipe...
what about the "jellyfish"? :hihi:
once tried playing a 12 string with a brass pipe screen
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

were you high? :lol:

i have some stainless steel magnetic screens for my magnetic pipe :)

vurt wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:02 pm were you high? :lol:
no vurt, I wasn't high :roll: ...that was the one time I did something silly not high :hihi: :dog:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:09 pm i have some stainless steel magnetic screens for my magnetic pipe :)
I didn't say it worked well

Hink wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:09 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:02 pm were you high? :lol:
no vurt, I wasn't high :roll: ...that was the one time I did something silly not high :hihi: :dog:
:hihi:

Hink wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:10 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:09 pm i have some stainless steel magnetic screens for my magnetic pipe :)
I didn't say it worked well
my magnetic pipe and screens do :D

but id imagine a bit of tangle rather than jangle?

Jellifish? I tried it in th early 90s I think...
I think the same as this guy about it. From 1:55 on...

https://youtu.be/XmJkKiUNll4?t=115

I tried all those that are designed at niche playing techniques, and I've dodged them big time. The STYLYS pick if anyone remembers them.
And some F1 formula ...F-1 picks, that you stuck your ordinary pick into and played normally. It was clumsy and unwieldy and should be viewed as ergonomic.
As well as these posh Blue Chip picks that are made of some lubricating material but never wears, and it costs a fortune. Can't get my head around these. Same thing with Gravity picks and V-picks. Don't get the idea, but alas I don't side with Robert Fripp who once told us that everyone ele are using the wrong pick. He used some shady brand with a even triangle sharp edges.

I think ike this: A pick is like a pencil/pen. There are tens of thousands different colors, shapes, but they still en up a pen/pencil. You hold it and write with is as you like. You don't become a Shakespeare just because you have a special pen or pencil. Same with picks. Pick your choices. I don't mind.

I don't favor one pick at all. However, I do have favorites. The stone picks aren't consistent in any way or form. And you can't put a brand on it. If you drop, lose or break one, it's impossible to get the exactly same shaped pick again, and you have to start over. I do own one stone pick called the MIN'D pick which was tear drop shaped. I used to own the wholesale agent in Sweden, who had about 200 of them in stock. I said I try blindfolded and if I can pick one that feels and sounds and plays EXACTLY as the one I got, 'll buy it. But no. It was like winning a big lottery. So that MIN'D pick is my favorite and I play the most expressive and best with that one, but...it never leaves the door. I am too afraid to lose it or break it or have it mislaid somewhere. In fact it is the only material thing I would get very upset of if something happened to it. So I take it out only now and then, and thought that I can't rely on honing my playing with a pick that can't be replacable. I got numerous other stone picks that I bring out, but nothing like that one. I've collected so many variants of stone picks that I don't even tell my friends which one's the hardest to replace AND being my all time favorite pick.

So I resorted to Jim Dunlop Red jaz II Eric Johnson signature. Just like in the old days... :wink: for bread and butter in between playing. Cookie cutter...

Leap series picks by Bog Street are really comfy to hold. Not cheap but worth a try.
https://bogstreet.com/

I remember those sharkfins. They come in a few thicknesses. They take a little getting used to but for strumming can be quite nice, and as someone mentioned, they are good for pinching out some extra harmonics too when doing pinched harmonics. Good picks to have in the toolbox.

I'm as fickle with my picks as anyone can be. Lately, my new squeeze is the blue dunlop 1mm. Usually I prefer the slightly thinner Reds and Yellows (0.50 and 0.73mm respectively). Most the time I'm happy with an Orange (0.60mm).

I use the jazz picks too, sometimes. I know people prefer them for lead work but I'm happy thrashing with the aforementioned picks. Fenders are good but I tend to rip them. But still that 'tortoiseshell' has a sort of spring and softness to it that I like, both tactile wise and tone wise.

It's true that the pick can really make a difference to tone, just like strings - it's probably the no.1 factor, apart from your pups and how they are wound. I've got a super bright Squier Strat (but a lovely tone) and it was only after playing that recently, I realised how dull and rounded off my Aria Pro II strats sounded. Might need some new pups for them. Perhaps a pot change will do.

I don't really fuss with pups, I just buy another guitar and hope for the best. Ceramic pups sound just as good as Alnico, sometimes.

As for picks, I tried the Billy Gibbons Mexican Peso trick, and the Brian May old 'sixpence' trick, but it didn't work for me. I don't like using metal on metal. But I'm happy to use wood, plastic, anything really...

Sometimes I will change picks 2 or 3 times in a session and enjoy and be able to use each one, finding and making the most of the differences in each. It's one of the wonders of the guitar for me that this very cheap and readily available alternative is on hand to exploit at will and on a whim. But sometimes I'll just use the same pick for a year until it wears down. Doh...

I also like to alternate between using a pick and finger playing/slapping. I can move the pick to the back of my hand like a magic trick and play with my fingers, then move it back to forefinger and thumb to pluck with again, all in a split second. Quite a few guitarists can do this, it's nothing special, but it does take a bit of practice. Of course, there are certain styles of playing you just can't do when 'nesting' a hidden pick in your palm, but it's a versatile and handy thing to be able to do, if you can.

I like to play with the fingers. I really love it. But my nails are weak, or rather I have one weak nail. My index finger (right hand of course). It's genetic, nothing I can do about it. It always rips. Not good.

For those that want to strengthen their nails and protect them when doing fingerstyle I have a couple of tips:

1: Use a thing called 'magic' clear nail varnish.

https://www.amazon.com/Nail-Magic-Harde ... B0015358TE

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... V2W_ldpVw4

2: Take Vitamin B7 (Biotin). It's a harmless vitamin that probably doesn't do any good but it is supposed to strengthen hair and nails. Might work. Doesn't cost much and no health risk.

I never could get on with those 'false nails' kinds of picks you put on your fingers and thumbs, but I like the idea of them. I'm kind of used to slapping and popping so I just wreck my cuticles as I go along. What I'd give for a super strong set of nails on my right hand. And while we're at it, a longer 'small' finger on my left hand, like Paul Gilbert or Guthrie Govan (dem boys are freaks! :o ). I'm kind of deformed in the pinky department, almost.

But never mind all that.

One last 'pro-tip' that you may or may not know when it comes to being able to hold on to a pick so it doesn't slip out of your fingers - actually, two tips - but the first one is not mine, it's from Rick Parfitt from Status Quo:

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index ... ic=39478.0

Rick would get his guitar tech to drill holes in all his picks, apparently. Great idea. Works.

And the way I do it, and please be careful here, is to take a very sharp razor blade and score the pick like a tic tac toe board - does the trick. But be extra careful as it's easy for the razor blade to 'drift' and end up cutting your fingers. Do it slow, do it deliberately, do it sober!

Even then after scoring the pick (or drilling holes), you will find that it smoothes off. So do it again if you have to...

All in all though, I'd be happy with a small selection of Dunlops in the 0.5mm to 1mm range.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/prod ... /tortex.do

and a few good razor blades...

codec_spurt wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:07 pm All in all though, I'd be happy with a small selection of Dunlops in the 0.5mm to 1mm range.
if you like Tortexen, the Clayton Ultems are a nice variation. a bit more snappy imo.

another way to do good pick grips is 3m safety-walk: http://www.bangzero.org/qbz/grips.png

[+spelling edits]
Last edited by bangzero on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Obviously a professional at work.

It's good to see that others are finally starting to take this seriously.

:help:

codec_spurt wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:07 pm they are good for pinching out some extra harmonics too when doing pinched harmonics.
I learned, or more accurately became more acute at pinch harmonics by practicing them without a pick at all :)

Return to “Guitars”