Pick your PICK!!

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jacqueslacouth wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 pm I like to use those little plastic bag tags that hold bread closed....at least I always know where I can find one.
I read an article claiming that they were great for keeping your straps on your guitar. Nowhere near as good as the rubber washers from Grolsch beer bottles. I've seen music stores selling similar size washers without the crappy beer, so I'll try those the next time I need strap locks.

Back to picks, I use the pink Delrin's. They feel good, sound good, and if I drop them I can find them easily.

I do not always use a pick, but when I do, it's Tusq. Stay picky, my friends.

(Although there have been several other suggestions that seem worth a try.)
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I just use whatever the shop has on the counter when I buy some strings. Not often, these days.
However, I got into the appalling habit of putting a kind of saw tooth edge on them ( :scared: ), not too much, or they'll snag the strings. Really brings out the harmonics. :shrug:

Depends on the mood I'm in. I get around pretty good with just finger tips (can't keep a nail to save my life) My old teachers used to cringe at the tone always offering me a pick. I tried various finger picks. No matter what I cant switch to tap with them which annoys me to all hell as I combine fingerstyle with tap for almost all of my jazz arrangements.

When I use a thumb pick it's a Fred Kelly slick pick. They don't wear down like dunlops and you can alternate pick at medium tempos due to the design. I usually clip them a little and file. You can use the thumb straight or thumb and index finger for a better grip. They do straight alternate picking fine and upstroke (YM) playing but it gets too tight for downstroke (EJ) Which... I love the bouncy feel of downstroke playing.

After that it's mostly dunlop Jazz iii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtK3dB7aLwM
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

I forgot thumb picks, as I only ever use them when I’m playing banjo. Still struggling to find one I really like, but so far the best I found is a tortoiseshell pattern Dunlop, which is not too bad.

All extreme ones, everything in between too, I don't use one pick...it should be the thinnest thinnest to the hardest heaviest:

Those one feels like playing with a plastic bag and flexes almost as much. :wink:
Or these, stone picks, as hard and heavy as they come, flexes nil:

Neither of them can sound like the other. No matter how you twist and turn them or attack them to the strings. The super-soft green Sharkfin for strum (especially 12 string acoustic), and the stone pick for shred, metal, and specieal weirdo Adrian Belew effects. And of course, its Apex use, making an electric gutiar sound like a bagpipe...
Last edited by Mats Eriksson on Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

croppick.jpg
-u
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

I exclusively use Fender Hello Kitty picks.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Clayton Ultem Teardrops, .56/.72mm: more percussive, dynamic attack on acoustics than others i've tried.

ProPik Finger-Tone: the cutout puts the picking edge closer to the natural fingernail and at a better angle for me.

ymmv. enjoy!

Jafo wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:01 pm I do not always use a pick, but when I do, it's Tusq. Stay picky, my friends.

(Although there have been several other suggestions that seem worth a try.)
Haha! Very nice.

He's a hubba DADDY!

Dunlop Primetone Clear .73 large size, as my all rounder. Dunlop Tortex red .50 for percussive/clicky strumming. Dunlop original Jazz III for fast picking solo stuff. I can do just about anything with those three, but I tend to try them all when recording, as the pick and age of strings make even more difference to the sound than the mic position, mic, preamp etc.

Currently loving the Thalia wooden picks. Though expensive and don't last long.

https://www.thaliacapos.com/collections ... gJqBvD_BwE

I'm not that picky about what type of pick I use; chances are good that I'll have lost it the next time I want it. Most of the time I'm using my fingers.

So, I've decided that the Fender Mediums suits me the best. I have gotten to where the flexibility is appealing (where at first I wasn't sure) but the more I've played the more comfy I am with that.

But they don't "sound" the best. The stiffer picks have more tone.

This has been fun (though I'm out 20 bucks :scared: )

Mats Eriksson wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:42 pm All extreme ones, everything in between too, I don't use one pick...it should be the thinnest thinnest to the hardest heaviest:

Or these, stone picks, as hard and heavy as they come:

Neither of them can sound like the other. No matter how you twist and turn them or attack them to the strings. The super-soft green Sharkfin for strum (especiallu 12 string acoustic), and the stone pick for shred, metal, and specieal weirdo Adrian Belew effects. And of course, its Apex use, making an electric gutiar sound like a bagpipe...
what about the "jellyfish"? :hihi:

Return to “Guitars”