The Great Guitar Debate: Purchasing Online vs IRL

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aloysius wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:48 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 pm Another way I bought a guitar was on Craigslist. Sometimes people want to meet somewhere public rather than give their home address, but it’s a great way of looking for a deal. blah...
sounds well dodgy. are you sure it wasn't stolen?
I think it’s mostly because people here are paranoid about strangers coming to their house. I see a lot of Craigslist listings that only provide the approximate area.

The last guitar I bought I met the guy in a Lowe’s parking lot where he probably got picked up by at least a couple of security cameras, and he seemed genuine about his paranoia.

It's actually one of the things they recommend. I've done about a dozen deals. Software, hardware. You have their text number if it's stolen (one of the first things you'd check)

I met a guy in a neutral location once (a busy pub). he was trying to sell me a laptop. I decided not to buy because some of the software on the computer was illegal. I could only assume that the laptop was too. When I tried 'phoning his mobile number after the meeting, the number he gave me kept showing up as different numbers on my device each time I tried to call. I can only assume he was digitally hiding his real number too.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I bought two guitars through Craigslist, and both of them either went to lengths to concoct a detailed back story or they were genuinely selling a guitar they were just not playing.

One of them was a teen who turned up with his dad to oversee the deal, and the other one was a guy who told me about his dream to learn and then realizing it needed much more of his time than he had, left the guitar sit unplayed for a year before he decided he should probably just get rid of it.

Had anyone even hinted it was stolen I wouldn't have got involved.
Last edited by Forgotten on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

I provide receipts if needed, though it's a copy and I black out any juicy stuff (man, the deals I give :lol: )

I don't let anyone come to my flat either, although I see many people on eBay Classifieds here in Germany won't ship and will only sell if you go to their place to try it out. Must be a cultural thing, because I've known a number of people back in Montreal who've been robbed in these situations. Still, better safe than sorry. I don't want strangers coming into our home with all my guitars hanging around all over the place.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I live with my parents, so it's just not doable.

Aloysius wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:48 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 pm Another way I bought a guitar was on Craigslist. Sometimes people want to meet somewhere public rather than give their home address, but it’s a great way of looking for a deal. blah...

sounds well dodgy. are you sure it wasn't stolen?
One of my closest friends makes his living buying and selling synths. He always meets people in a highly visible public place. It’s safer for everyone that way, aside from not being able to test gear before buying.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I've had people bring their laptops to test stuff.

Almost everything I see on craigslist is junk. Same with Facebook Marketplace with the rare exception of items well beyond 50 miles. What's more if it's a current guitar it's usually $20 lower than new.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I bought a few things on craigslist (chicago), mostly inexpensive guitars and video/photo gear. Never had a real problem but I've met a lot of people on the paranoid side. Can't say I blame them because I've also met a couple of the type of people that give cause for paranoia. I don't really sell much because I honestly don't want to deal with it. But buying has been ok.

tapper mike wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:50 pm Almost everything I see on craigslist is junk.
I'd say I agree with that, but there are some bargains once in a while.

I picked up an older Squier Strat (not sure which year, but older headstock shape and full thickness body) for $80, and a $250 Schecter for $100. Both were sold by people who had them for a few years and just didn't ever learn to play and decided they just wanted rid of them.

What I have more of a problem with on Craigslist is that 99% of the instruments I see are over-priced for used instruments, and sometimes people will just not negotiate down to a reasonable used price. I find places like reverb.com are much better for prices and the gear is in much better shape.

The two guitars I got on Craigslist were exceptions to the rule though, as both were in good shape and reasonably priced for used instruments.

So is da everyone is supposed to be the same'es???????????????????????????????????

:lol:

Here's a thing.... 90% of my online guitar purchases were right as rain. That's a good track record.

Here's another thing though. I just went into a small brick and mortar. Put $100 down on a mint condition 2018 Joe Pass Epiphone Emperor Pro II with case. They are doing a full setup for me and the out the door price is less than I could buy it new.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

... out the back door?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Guitars”