Real Cabinet vs. Cab Impulse Response - Can you hear the difference?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!

Can you spot the real setup?

Example A
15%
Example B
50%
Example C
4%
Example D
12%
I can't hear a difference at all!
19%

Total votes: 26

RELATED
PRODUCTS

IRs are a great tool for many applications regarding audio recording and mixing.
Technology in Digital Audio Recording and Mixing has come a long way and can only get better and better.
I could not hear any difference between the Example clips. At all!

in this example i hear not the correct amp. they sound all good enough for me. maybe there impulses are really better as the rest, or they fake the video and all examples are from real speakers record. but there can test some free ir. so i try them out and compare
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

I went the other way.

I was using a Marshall 1974x Cab sample/emulation in Nebula 3 back around 2007-2009, and i got to like it so much, I went out and and purchased a real Marshall 1974 cx, which is the cab extension with the celestian greenback but without the amp, and somewhere along the way i liked that so much, i went out and got another; so now i have two.

I guess sometimes emulations can be helpful when deciding to purchase the real hardware.

hard to hear the difference but can you feel the difference when playing guitar?

mattaudio wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 pm hard to hear the difference but can you feel the difference when playing guitar?
Some say yes, some say it's only because you got told to feel/hear a difference. I personally think differences are bigger when you play the guitar, but I'm not quite sure if it's really because of static IRs or because there is some much more going on in a real setup that's only there when playing (like your position/movement, the room, speakers getting warm over time, ...).

I could hear the difference in B before seeing the results and it turns out I was right. For me I hear slightly more dynamics. And for me that translates to more feel. That being said, in a recording we compress and reduce a lot of those dynamics anyway, I don't think anyone would notice the difference in a mix whatsoever, but I definitely can feel the difference while playing...and that has been experience with my own rigs as well.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Still can't hear anything.

XxEDxX wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 pm
mattaudio wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 pm hard to hear the difference but can you feel the difference when playing guitar?
Some say yes, some say it's only because you got told to feel/hear a difference. I personally think differences are bigger when you play the guitar, but I'm not quite sure if it's really because of static IRs or because there is some much more going on in a real setup that's only there when playing (like your position/movement, the room, speakers getting warm over time, ...).
volume too, you tend to push it a little more with a cab (personally) also for high gain playing the feedback element still is missing so far.
it could well be placebo, but placebos work.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:35 pm Still can't hear anything.
turn your monitors on :shrug:

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:32 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:35 pm Still can't hear anything.
turn your monitors on :shrug:
Lolz, yeah I just can't hear it. For those of you who guessed it right, I guess my ears aren't very good (or you just got lucky) :hihi:

I didn't guess the real cabinet, but it also wasn't my favorite, even though the differences were minimal between these choices. Any of them would be fine. I think the use of IRs is totally fine.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Return to “Guitars”