Favourite Alternative Tunings?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:40 am
Forgotten wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:28 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 pm I picked up an acoustic a few times but much prefer electric guitars. They're completely different worlds.
I think there are some open tunings that sound awesome on acoustic though - I love to pick in open D and just figure out some variations on the open chord. Conventional open chords aren't easy in open D, but that just makes it easier to get something really different out of it.

conventional chord strumming on acoustics is for sitting around campfires and singing kum ba yah :hihi:
Pretty much... :hihi:

Forgotten wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:59 am
Unaspected wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 pm I picked up an acoustic a few times but much prefer electric guitars. They're completely different worlds.
I think there are some open tunings that sound awesome on acoustic though - I love to pick in open D and just figure out some variations on the open chord. Conventional open chords aren't easy in open D, but that just makes it easier to get something really different out of it.

conventional chord strumming on acoustics is for sitting around campfires and singing kum ba yah :hihi:
:x

Layering and percussion you heathens.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 am
Forgotten wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:59 am

:x

Layering and percussion you heathens.
boy your camp songs are much different than ours
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:00 am

boy your camp songs are much different than ours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZj130-uzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

It would appear so.

:hihi:

Hink wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:07 pm no favorites but sorry dude, I dont consider drop d alternate per se, just modifed.

https://soundcloud.com/hink/accoustic
Dude :D , that's just semantics. If a tuning is modified and not standard, it is, by definition, alternate.

Stills used EEEEBE for Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. I have yet to try it. It's funny, looking back, trying to learn songs in standard tuning that aren't played in standard. No wonder I couldn't get things to sound exactly right.

Keef uses open G, as well.

And how the heck can you tune a G string down to D without it flopping around?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 am And how the heck can you tune a G string down to D without it flopping around?
On my 7 string I tuned the B down to an A and had to increase the gauge of the string to do it, but that's probably quite a jump up in gauge to make that drop.

432Hz on all five strings.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

what's so bad about a floppy g string?

i use whatever its tuned to when i pull it out* of the gig bag....

*easy tiger

i keep meaning to find out the tuning for one finger barre chords, but i havent done it yet

one of these days :hihi:

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 pm what's so bad about a floppy g string?
I have no answer to that. :lol:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

AnX wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:57 pm i keep meaning to find out the tuning for one finger barre chords, but i havent done it yet

Just tune the low E down to D - instant powerchords on bottom 3 strings. Metel... :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:03 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:57 pm i keep meaning to find out the tuning for one finger barre chords, but i havent done it yet

Just tune the low E down to D - instant powerchords on bottom 3 strings. Metel... :hihi:

when you say bottom strings, do you mean the top strings that sound low, or bottom strings that sound high? i dont even have the last two high strings :lol:

AnX wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:06 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:03 pm

when you say bottom strings, do you mean the top strings that sound low, or bottom strings that sound high? i dont even have the last two high strings :lol:
:lol: I mean the 3 thickest ones!

Return to “Guitars”