12- it's 6 better..

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Often, when I'm playing a guitar in my dreams, the neck goes like that. I dunno if that's something Freudian or not. All I can say is, it isn't easy to play! :(
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I had an acoustic 12 for a year or so; liked the sound, but found it a bit limiting - great for first position chords, but not lending itself much to anything more technical; could well be I just had a shitty 12, but there it is.

For a long time I kept a second acoustic in Nashville tuning, which to me was a decent compromise between getting near a 12 string sound, but keeping the playability a bit.

Posting this reminds me, I have a spare acoustic in the attic, I might have to dig it out and string it up in Nashville tuning again.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

I have a couple of 12 acoustics, and a Rick'y electric... but I like my 8 strings better, mandolin, mandola and bouzouki, as they are unison strung. Octave pairs do jangle nicely though ... but the Rick has the pairs the other way up from "standard" which where the Byrds (etc) sounds come from.

I get 'close enough for Rock n' Roll' with my Gretsch 12er to the Byrds' sound, even though it is strung normally.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:34 pm I get 'close enough for Rock n' Roll' with my Gretsch 12er to the Byrds' sound, even though it is strung normally.
Tambourine Man type of 12-string sound could be very believable with a EHX POG2 octaver. Two octaves up and down with 4 faders, various envelope stuff for more like organ sound getting rid of attack etc. 8 presets you recall.

It tracks polyphonic real well too in my view, but does maybe not replace a real 12-string.

TobyB wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:25 pm I have a couple of 12 acoustics, and a Rick'y electric... but I like my 8 strings better, mandolin, mandola and bouzouki, as they are unison strung. Octave pairs do jangle nicely though ... but the Rick has the pairs the other way up from "standard" which where the Byrds (etc) sounds come from.
Ah, you lucky bleeder. A 12-string Ricky is my dream. Well, that model Tom is wearing on the Damn The Torpedos cover. One day... I love that extra weight in the jangle :)

12- it's 6 better..
Nope....just six more innit? This one goes to twelve....LOL!! :D
A 12-string Ricky is my dream.
You and almost everybody that ever wanted a 12 string electric.
I get by with my blue sparkle Dan-O 12. It's jangleriffic!!

I also like the sound of a mandolin but I can't wrap my head around
those pesky upside down mando chords.......So I got one of these
instead:

Last edited by CapnLockheed on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

nice loons :tu:

CapnLockheed wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 pm
12- it's 6 better..
Nope....just six more innit? This one goes to twelve....LOL!! :D
A 12-string Ricky is my dream.
You and almost everybody that ever wanted a 12 string electric.
I get by with my blue sparkle Dan-O 12. It's jangleriffic!!

I also like the sound of a mandolin but I can't wrap my head around
those pesky upside down mando chords.......So I got one of these
instead:

Don’t think of them as upside down chords - just think of it as an instrument with strings tuned a 5th apart.

Upside-down chords _can_ be a way to 'see' the template of shapes at your disposal on a mandolin, it's a kind of good discovery place to start, but yeah, the shapes are all bit 'longer' and feel like they spread in the opposite direction to guitar chord shapes. At some point, it's a good idea to look at a chord chart for mando.

Even so, some of them don’t look much like an upside down version of the guitar chord at all. Barre chords for example - you’re barring G chords on a mandolin, which is pretty difficult on a guitar, whichever way up they are.

12 string Ricky...I don't think my hands would like the string spacing. Also, I had a cheap clone, and getting the strings on was a PITA. Looked similar to the Ricky headstock. Which was one reason why I chose the Gretsch. Easy to thread the strings at the bridge, and all tuners freely accessible.

One thing people should consider if they do get a cheap clone, is to invest in flatwound strings. Roundwound strings on a 12er are somewhat cacaphonous, whereas flatwounds give the sparkle and better focus.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:21 pm Often, when I'm playing a guitar in my dreams, the neck goes like that. I dunno if that's something Freudian or not. All I can say is, it isn't easy to play! :(
that neck is almost as warped as mine!
nit my guitars! mine! :cry:

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 pmnice loons :tu:
LOL!! :D :D :D As to the Mandolin it's not just the chord shapes that turn me off.....it's also that teeny tiny neck/fretboard. Just not comfortable for me.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

the blue sparkly danny is nice too.
may look in to one, they're nice and light and i love my 6 string. wasnt sure qt first coming from lifelong humbuckers, but got to love the sounds and the weird neck profile :love:

Return to “Guitars”