12- it's 6 better..

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not seeing any luuurve for the jangle angle here...

Is it because 12 strings (or is it in fact not a 12 string guitar, but a '6 pairs of 2 strings guitar', as some nugget on here kept suggesting.. :hihi: ) aren't much cop for the metel/blues rock widdly-diddly? Whilst I love a bit of chugging rokk bombast as much as the next axe wielder, sometimes only the jangle will do.

Is anybody (apart from Bombadil..who I know is a fellow devotee) out there.....?

I've been thinking about getting one for years. Played quite a few but never actually bought one...one of these days...

I do play mandolin though - 8 strings not 12, but still paired strings (all unison). Not really quite so jangly, but definitely a good complement to the 6 string.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:48 pm I've been thinking about getting one for years. Played quite a few but never actually bought one...one of these days...

I do play mandolin though - 8 strings not 12, but still paired strings (all unison). Not really quite so jangly, but definitely a good complement to the 6 string.
I do like a bit of mandolin myself (only ever played it on one song I think though..must remedy that). I've got some cheapo one (no brand name on it as far as I can see) and I once took it into work to lend to a colleague for some recording. He put it in his rucksack with the head sticking out and him and another lad went into the pub next to our office for a pint, and I said I'd see them in there shortly. Being in a dodgy area the pub was raided for stolen goods, and the conversation was;

'What's that then?'

'It's a mandolin'

'Is it your mandolin sir?'

'No, it's Benny's'

One can only assume it was the shock of the raid. Surely he can't have thought I'm on first name only terms with the local rozzers? :o

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:00 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:48 pm I've been thinking about getting one for years. Played quite a few but never actually bought one...one of these days...

I do like a bit of mandolin myself (only ever played it on one song I think though..must remedy that). I've got some cheapo one (no brand name on it as far as I can see) and I once took it into work to lend to a colleague for some recording. He put it in his rucksack with the head sticking out and him and another lad went into the pub next to our office for a pint, and I said I'd see them in there shortly. Being in a dodgy area the pub was raided for stolen goods, and the conversation was;

'What's that then?'

'It's a mandolin'

'Is it your mandolin sir?'

'No, it's Benny's'

One can only assume it was the shock of the raid. Surely he can't have thought I'm on first name only terms with the local rozzers? :o
:hihi:

Even though my first guitar was a 12 string, it was only ever strung with 6, because my brother told me 12 would be too difficult for a beginner. I didn't actually get to play a 12 string until 3-4 years after I started playing, and it wasn't my own, either.

The acoustic 12er I have is an embarrassment of riches. I really don't need such an expensive 12er, but GAS is a bitch, and this guitar called my name. I know I'd regret selling it, but I could probably get more for it than I paid. It is a custom Lakewood, and I recently saw a 6 string with this wood combo selling for €2800. I could probably get that for this.

I've had an:

Aria (my first, bought off said 'brother' for 50CAD in 1974).
Norman B-20/12. Sold it for food when I was an impoverished student.
Takamine G335 or something like that. Gave it away when I got a;
Seagull S12. Sold that when I bought my current 12er.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Toying with both a 12-string and a mandolin, but more because it'd be cool, not because of any real need. So maybe at some point when I feel the urge to splurge... I spent quite a bit of cash at the end of last year, so probably won't be any time soon.

thats 8 too many strings for me :hihi:

i have one.
several of the strings are in tune :)

Electric or acoustic?

12 strings are the grand pianos of the guitar world. Or, so I've read.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

acoustic.
but im not a hippy as it was a gift :hihi:

Bombadil wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:40 pm
so pages double neck would be an imperial grand?
what about that stupid heart shaped thing vai had. fret-wanker.

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:37 pm
And what does that make Bill Bailey’s guitar?

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:39 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:37 pm
And what does that make Bill Bailey’s guitar?
full orchestra including conductor.

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:35 pm acoustic.
Rats. Saw my set up... :dog:
-Henry A. Wallace

Bombadil wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:28 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:35 pm acoustic.
Rats. Saw my set up... :dog:
keep yelling y'all, im telepathic :P

Return to “Guitars”