Gibson Les Paul Studio 2016 Mini Review

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:05 pm
Hink wrote:as someone who is very outspoken about Gibson...
That’s an understatement - I recall one time after a comment about playing guitars around a camp fire you suggested that Les Pauls could be used to keep the fire burning... :hihi:
and SG's make awesome canoe paddles
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

My SG Classic is actually a goodun. :P And it was only €860.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Hink wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:45 pm
That’s an understatement - I recall one time after a comment about playing guitars around a camp fire you suggested that Les Pauls could be used to keep the fire burning... :hihi:
kiss my skinny hairy arse mofo.

vurt wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 pm
mark the spot, you're all hairy arse :clown:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:44 pm
:lol:

it's the skinny, flat bit with the centre parting :hihi:

vurt wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:06 am
it's the skinny, flat bit with the centre parting :hihi:
your head?

Re Gibson.

It's not just the recent Gibson controversy. It's every Gibson controversy and they have been at it for...Forever.

Let's talk about Epiphone. In the Northeast two brands were synonymous with high quality ornate guitars. Epiphone and D'angelico. Gibson didn't even rate. Gibson was larger and bought Epi. Fired all the employees and shipped of production to Kalamazoo. They also lowered the standard for materials downgrading the product. Hundreds of jobs that could have been kept and Gibson would still have made a good sized profit. Even at Kalamazoo the workmanship continued to be good and the price point was acceptable to most buyers. (50's, 60's and early 70's) When Epi's were outsourced Gibson set the bar way way lower for the production quality. It's not just wood and wire it's also workmanship and design. The whole "Lawsuit Era" was a result of Gibson pulling production from Japanese builders for making the Epi's too good and in comparison to Gibsons far cheaper at sale. Once Gibson moved offshore operations from Japan to Korea. Japanese manufacturers (fgn) began producing high quality knock offs. It was at that time "Ibanez" a brand name that used locations like FGN to launch their own brand (long before Fender shipped production to Japan)

All along the way I'd yet to play a single epi that came close to a Gibson unless some tech, luthier. Spent serious time installing a new nut, leveling the frets, replacing the tuners, changing out all the electronics and more.

And oddly as I look for a new jazz box... The Joe Pass Emperor is on my list as it's the only one that's under a grand (US) and is still playable.

Gibson has had a long long history of... using Ivory from Elephant poaching for bridges and nuts. Clear cutting forests for Rosewood, Mahogany and Ebony and Korina.

I love ebony fretboards. But to be honest Richlite and Carbon Fibre are better, and more sustainable. I seriously doubt anyone would know the difference unless it was told to them. I love mahogany but nato is actually better. Same tone without hollow spots no cooking required.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Richlite fretboards never felt right to me. There was some strange squeaking, and it seemed to drag on my fingers. So, I'd probably know the difference. Interesting background on Gibson, though.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

My Take

Gibson always inflated the price beyond it's production value. And they did that with the help of endorsements (even long before the LP) Gibson would have special rates on prices for those who were a-listers that weren't endorsers and would give ghost builds away for advertising to A list guitarists in order to market the product to the rest of the world especially during the jazz era. There was a time in the jazz era where you couldn't even sit in unless you had a gibson. This carried on for many years. Even during the 80's and 90's

Gibson shot itself in the foot with the ES-175. Gibson used to try and force other brands out of larger retail stores. The stores would reply when you build something affordable we can sell we'll offer you more space on the showroom. The result was the 175 a "student" guitar built to a price point. Originally one pup, laminated. These became popular with teachers who would keep the guitar in store as a second guitar. Then someone had the bright idea to take one out on stage. Laminate tops don't project well acoustically and they are less bright punchier than solid tops. But they also have a tendency to last longer and suffer less from sag.
Anyway eventually guitarists started taking them out to gigs for safety. You don't want something bad happening to your super expensive guitar at or after a gig, Well it caught on mostly because the laminate top did a good job (at that time) for rejecting feedback. Gibson shot up the prices there after and in much later years even opted for a solid top. Nonetheless "it's a Gibson" Gibson was the apple of it's day. You don't have a "real" smartphone unless it's an iphone yadda.

Gibson CEO's past and present have always railed against inexpensive guitars as driving the market, it's share of the market and it's profitability down. Thank goodness no other manufacturer bows down to that crap.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I bought a discounted b-stock Epiphone Les Paul Studio Worn Cherry, a great deal but not quite as good as the one OP got (I paid approx. €255 for a guitar that seems to have been sold at €390 until it seemingly sold out, in these parts).

My first Les Paul, but not my first HB solidbody.
Its sound amazes me, I've been playing without effects or amp sim, simply enjoying the warmth.
Plays well (high action though), looks great. Not very heavy either.
The pickups are probably Alnico 5.
The guitar is rather loud acoustically, for a solidbody. I wonder if it's hollowed out.

I'm not sure it's really a Worn Cherry finish though, the pics on Epiphone's site make me wonder if I was sold a Wine Red instead.

I had a WR SG Junior, preferred it to 'heritage cherry.' Enjoy your new guitar! :party:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I just got a Epiphone Les Paul plus top pro for my home usage - all other guitars are in the studio. It’s very nice and the Gibson has serious competition here. More soon.

A little update regarding my discounted b-stock Epiphone Les Paul Studio:
- turns out it's a Wine Red finish, not Worn Cherry
- it suffers bad fret buzz on an open string (G)

Not being well, I let the legal 30 day money-back period (Belgian law) pass before complaining.
Still, Muziker got me sorted just fine. Kudos to them!
I was offered a choice, I decided to keep the guitar and receive a handsome compensation in real moneys.
I would have preferred the Worn Cherry finish, but that guitar is sold out here, it seems (except for the cheaper version, which is less good looking anyway).

Later that evening, I got an idea for a quick, simple fix - and it seems to largely do the job.
I simply cut a tiny piece of string to put in the nut, so that it elevates the troublesome string.
(On Youtube I found another possible solution: fill in the troublesome nut sleeve with instant glue and fiber, but that sounded a little scary to unhandy me)

Yeah, G string buzzing is common on LP's in general and... many Epi's I'm experiencing something similar on my Epi Joe Pass. The 1st fret is sinking it may have to be pulled up. I'm compensating by raising the action. I just don't trust myself with trying to reset the fret.

I was watching a video on the lastest post chapter11 Gibson Les Pauls. Not favorable.
Then I went back and looked at older Epi's from the last 30 years of production. Honestly the JP leads the pack and the rest such as the Epi Premium ES 175 get buried in the dust.

I belong to a few archtop groups on FB, It's funny the fanboi issues that arise from Gibson / Epi owners. Sometimes I just want to hand them another similar style guitar from other manufacturers such as D'angelico or Guild or Eastman and say... Now try this.

Return to “Guitars”