Interesting guitar tuner video

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:34 pm
tapper mike wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:42 pm My guitar is out of tune. Funny wasn't that way when I bought it.

Believe it or not there are "players" who bring guitars into stores simply to have a tech tune them. If I had to do that I'd charge $10 a string.
Just about every guitar hanging on a wall isn't in tune when you first play it. That's why I insist that a good tuning is part of the setup.

@vurt.. depends on the shop. Don't go into any shop where Mike might be working! :hihi:
they were in the one store that I was in the guitar department, each in a different tuning but they were in tune :lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

BertKoor wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:44 am You guys obviously sit alone in bedsit studios. When playing in a band a tuning fork won't suffice. Because it needs silence. Electronic tuners can cope with other bandmates (drummers: looking at you) that just won't ever shut the feck up.
Imagine if we started a thread of Youtube clips of influential guitar recordings where the damned thing wasn't completely in tune. :P

I grew up listening to and learning from some of those recordings, and still enjoy their wonderful imperfections, but your point is well taken and one wouldn't want to encourage youngsters to do anything other than devote themselves to trying to generally be well tempered and not piss off keyboard players or any others playing less troublesome instruments. :hihi: :ud:

tapper mike wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:42 pm Believe it or not there are "players" who bring guitars into stores simply to have a tech tune them.
I believe it. I've seen so many bands over the years where one member is tuning an instrument for one of the others.

More than once I've seen it in print (and corroborated by Tommy Ramone) that neither Johnny nor Dee Dee Ramone could tune their guitars and both relied on either Tommy or one of their roadies to get the guitar and bass in tune with each other.

On the flip side of that, when I worked in a theater we had two pianos that would sometimes be requested by touring acts. If they were needed we would get a tuner in to ensure they were in good shape the day before the act arrived. One time a musician came in, played for a few seconds and said it wasn't tuned to concert A. The tuner came back in and said it was very fractionally out, but he had tuned the strings that needed tuning rather than checked that it was tuned to A440. So it was probably close enough for most acts to have never noticed it, but this one guy could hear the fractional problem right off the bat.

Hink wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 pm
tapper mike wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:42 pm My guitar is out of tune. Funny wasn't that way when I bought it.

Believe it or not there are "players" who bring guitars into stores simply to have a tech tune them. If I had to do that I'd charge $10 a string.
Just about every guitar hanging on a wall isn't in tune when you first play it. That's why I insist that a good tuning is part of the setup.

@vurt.. depends on the shop. Don't go into any shop where Mike might be working! :hihi:
they were in the one store that I was in the guitar department, each in a different tuning but they were in tune :lol:

I used to bring a tuner into Meijers and Walmart during the holiday season and tune the guitars. The staff looked at me like I was crazy.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:37 pm
Hink wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 pm

I used to bring a tuner into Meijers and Walmart during the holiday season and tune the guitars. The staff looked at me like I was crazy.
that was the first store I worked at in a trendy neighborhood on the subway line outside of Boston. It's a mom and pop chain with 4 stores, I was almost always alone in the store and we really weren't busy. We had teachers that came in, but they went downstairs and I never saw them. I mostly sold to street musicians though and college kids, I also did guitar work, set ups, pup changes, mods..typical stuff. But mostly I would take a few steps down the basement stairs with my one hitter then jam.

The boss who was the worst boss I ever had and one of the biggest assholes I ever met got really pissed off one day when he discovered my guitars. He came to each store just to rant, he was an absolute bully and if I didn't go to mars music I would have surely knocked his lights out eventually. He started bitching about my guitars yelling about how they should be in tune, I walked over, picked up the guitar, played it fine, hung it back up and said it's in tune...the asshole threw a clipboard at me :lol:

He's the same jerk who got mad when I bought the Warmoth strat in pieces, of course I put it together but he said if it didn't sell I was paying him for it. I payed 75 dollars when I bought it for the store, that was 20 years ago and it's still the sweetest guitar I have ever played (still playing it), with a wizard neck profile, emg 81 and an emg 89 (89 bought for that guitar), hardtail, and a straoblaster pre-amp clone...I'll never get a better deal

ftr I paid him under 100 but I also bought a pup for it so I dont recall my exact cost.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

you want funny looks from staff?
take a clip on tuner to the kitchen department and search for pans or bowls that are tuned to d :lol: :oops:

vurt, you make life interesting, that's for sure.

I saw this the other day, quite interesting. :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daw93bRHe4Y

Last edited by The Noodlist on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:28 pm vurt, you make life interesting, that's for sure.
i was buying the pans for percussive purposes, or at least trying to. it isnt that i think bolognaise tastes better in a pan tuned to d or anything :hihi:

Don't knock it until you've tried it!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Rhodes were notorious for tuning issues. They'd always be in the shop being serviced. You'll hear a lot of detuned rhodes sounds in lesser known Doobie Brothers tracks.

Arp 2600's were also crap for staying in tune. Most synths took up to a half hour simply to "boot" into a usable sound and then the tuning would go way off as they heated up during the last set or two. Olberhiems had little tuning per voice dials that had to be adjusted with a screw driver. They'd leave the factory out of tune and few ever actually took the time to tune them properly.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Bombadil wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:00 am Don't knock it until you've tried it!
Screen doors on submarines.
Don't knock it, keeps the fish out.

A plugin version of Polytune also comes with the hardware purchase, which is a bonus.
Polytune has the same accuracy as Sonic Research Turbo Tuner in strobe mode ± 0.02 cent accuracy, great for setups.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I can't imagine needing the Polytune. Which is why I bought the Uni. Pretty satisfied with it. I've been tuning guitars one way for 45(gasp!) years, now. Polytune would probably confuse me.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”