Interesting guitar tuner video

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know, how boring right? But they do provide some insightful thoughts and kinda prove them right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJAdXGwztU

I always tune to the more powerful Sonic entity in the room. I just tune to the bass player. I let him or her deal with the drummer. As long as I am in tune with bass player, I don't give a shit anymore .
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

I use a bunch of different tunings, I make mental roadmaps for tuning the ones I use the most, I find it easier and accurate to dial in many by ear. For instance open D, DADF#AD, once I have the low D I tune the D's to it (what could be simpler) then the low A between the two D's by playing all three and bringing the A in (it's either there or it isn't so again, simple), tune the other A to that and then do the F# while playing a D maj on the lower 4. One of the things I like about using different tunings, there is a certain sweetness and character to each that stands out but is masked by even the slightest out of tune string.

I honestly think that focusing on alternate tunings since the mid 90's likely created the most sweeping growth in me as a guitarist. It improved my ear, it change everything about how I looked at scales, modes, arps, by making me think more in terms of intervals as opposed to note names and spelling. Fine tuning on the fly is also a cinch for me though I have zero need for such a skill, if it's out of tune I stop and redo the take.

I still have my korg something 30 tuner, I actually bought it to tune my dulcimer but I can put it on my iso cab and I dont have to plug it into use it. I do use it in my tuning process (often with lessor used tunings) but honestly my fine tuning is all by ear, just in a slightly different way than some other people.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I just thought it was interesting how all the different tuners worked. The affordable Korg was the best and the way over-price Boss Waza craft was way too fiddly.

fork off!

i tuned my guitar once.

true story.

vurt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 pmfork off!
:hihi:

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner for me the last fifteen years, I stopped looking when I found that.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:56 pm Image
My Boss SE-70 includes a tuner but that's only convenient when it's on and the guitar is plugged in. My tuning fork, on the other hand, might be slightly off after all these years but it's always at the ready and doesn't require a mic, pick-up, electricity or a Youtube demonstration on its use. :hihi:

You guys obviously sit alone in bedsit studios. When playing in a band a tuning fork won't suffice. Because it needs silence. Electronic tuners can cope with other bandmates (drummers: looking at you) that just won't ever shut the feck up.

Also I had several tuners, bandmates also, and tuning difference was never an issue. But yoy get to know your gear, like better set the G just off what the device says. Could be an intonation problem on the axx as well.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

vurt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 pm i tuned my guitar once.

true story.
I insist that mine are tuned before I buy. Then I don't have to do it.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

My guitar is out of tune. Funny wasn't that way when I bought it.

Believe it or not there are "players" who bring guitars into stores simply to have a tech tune them. If I had to do that I'd charge $10 a string.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Bombadil wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:47 am
vurt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 pm i tuned my guitar once.

true story.
I insist that mine are tuned before I buy. Then I don't have to do it.
good tip. does it cost extra?

tapper mike wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:42 pm My guitar is out of tune. Funny wasn't that way when I bought it.

Believe it or not there are "players" who bring guitars into stores simply to have a tech tune them. If I had to do that I'd charge $10 a string.
Just about every guitar hanging on a wall isn't in tune when you first play it. That's why I insist that a good tuning is part of the setup.

@vurt.. depends on the shop. Don't go into any shop where Mike might be working! :hihi:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”