Something new for guitar coming soon from IK

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 am
reggie1979 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:54 am Very funny guys, please keep this going :hihi:
Do we have to?
I was simply trying to be a decent dude. I know you have no sense of humor but it's not meant to be anything negative.

I'm really trying here. I'd expect the mods to understand, but doesn't seem like it.

Queen will forever hold a special place* for me, and I couldn't be happier to see Brian May's setup get modeled well.

*it involves a romantic interest and a simple comment, "Oh, so you like T-Rex and Bowie. Have you heard this? It was 1973, and this was Queen's debut album. Keep Yourself Alive was revelatory. The rest of the album was only baseball-bat-to-the-head-stunning. :hail: KYA was more than a song - it was a statement.

..not that my thoughts matter at all..but if you do the math, you'll determine I can also say, "Get off my lawn!" with authority! :wink:
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

Yeah, it's cool alright.

gnu23 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:43 am Queen will forever hold a special place* for me, and I couldn't be happier to see Brian May's setup get modeled well.

*it involves a romantic interest and a simple comment, "Oh, so you like T-Rex and Bowie. Have you heard this? It was 1973, and this was Queen's debut album. Keep Yourself Alive was revelatory. The rest of the album was only baseball-bat-to-the-head-stunning. :hail: KYA was more than a song - it was a statement.

..not that my thoughts matter at all..but if you do the math, you'll determine I can also say, "Get off my lawn!" with authority! :wink:
pretty much, I had been playing guitar for a couple years by then and came from a slightly different angle but pretty much the same, game changer for me. Same way too, a friend of my sister let me hear it and as soon as I could scrape up 5 bux I was off on my bike to buy it...fan ever since, but she described it as acid rock before she brought it over :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

gnu23 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:43 am Keep Yourself Alive was revelatory. The rest of the album was only baseball-bat-to-the-head-stunning. :hail: KYA was more than a song - it was a statement.
That was the first Queen song I ever tried to play. I figured out how to play most of it but just could not get the sound right, or even anywhere near to it. Admittedly, I was working with a Strat copy and a mid-range Roland transistor amp, but I knew while I was working on it that it took something really special to get that sound.

(I think this was all around 1980 or 1981).

Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:56 am
gnu23 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:43 am Keep Yourself Alive was revelatory. The rest of the album was only baseball-bat-to-the-head-stunning. :hail: KYA was more than a song - it was a statement.
That was the first Queen song I ever tried to play. I figured out how to play most of it but just could not get the sound right, or even anywhere near to it. Admittedly, I was working with a Strat copy and a mid-range Roland transistor amp, but I knew while I was working on it that it took something really special to get that sound.

I was trying with an Alamo El Dorado with action so high if I had it today Nik Wallenda would want to film a reality show of him walking along the strings
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:02 am
Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:56 am

I was trying with an Alamo El Dorado with action so high if I had it today Nik Wallenda would want to film a reality show of him walking along the strings
:hihi:

Mine was a MIJ Satellite Strat copy. I bought it after going to the guitar store with a friend who played pretty well, so he gave me the run down on the quality of the guitars before I bought it. It actually played a lot better than it sounded - the pickups were just really vanilla sounding single coils, but I could get reasonable tone from the amp (a Roland that cost more than the guitar did - I got it cheaper than sticker price because of damage to the cab, but it was fine other than that).

Bit of a tangent, but I eventually got a friend whose dad had a small workshop at home to recut the body and pick guard so I could put another couple of pickups in there. I managed to get a DiMarzio Super Distortion really cheap (which I put in the neck position), and a no-name humbucker in the bridge position. I had a pretty decent range of sounds after that, but could still get nowhere near a Brian May sound...

mine probably wasn't all that bad when I got it, but :roll: well I've been me a long time :hihi: ...I got it home, played it, went to my friend's house and we took it completely apart...probably should have waited until I had a clue...that was even before I went to the tech high school for machining/tool & die making :oops: :oops:

Warren Huart (Produce Like a Pro) did a video about AmpliTube Brian May. He's a huge Queen fan, so this wasn't a surprise on that front but he surprised us with the video itself yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctp0EGc7Uwc

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:09 pm Warren Huart (Produce Like a Pro) did a video about AmpliTube Brian May. He's a huge Queen fan, so this wasn't a surprise on that front but he surprised us with the video itself yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctp0EGc7Uwc
You can tell he really loves it. I don't blame him a bit. Can't wait to begin my Queen tribute CD. :lol:

Return to “Guitars”