The guitar that got away.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's also gear that got away from me because I let someone borrow it and didn't get it back.

The one thing I really regret not getting back was my Kimbara Fuzz Box. It's pretty rare to find them anywhere for less than $300 now, but think I paid something like $30 for mine in about '82 or '83.

Forgotten wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 pm There's also gear that got away from me because I let someone borrow it and didn't get it back.

The one thing I really regret not getting back was my Kimbara Fuzz Box. It's pretty rare to find them anywhere for less than $300 now, but think I paid something like $30 for mine in about '82 or '83.
Nm. Just found info . Apparently not that much.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

When I think of the SG that got away...1992, at least where I lived, had not really developed the 'vintage' craze, so the guy offered it to me basically to get rid of it.

But we had a mutual friend...

One day, say around 1981, I went over to his place and he had a Strat on his couch. I plugged it in, and played it for a while. It is probably the best electric guitar I ever played, certainly the best Strat, to this day.

It was a 1957 all original Strat. A bit beaten up, but in good overall shape. Someone dropped 10 C notes in front of him not long after, and he took the money. Again, this was long before 'Vintage' prices.

He still kicks himself. :dog:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

OMFG....I regret having to sell some favs more than not pulling the trigger. At least if you didn't buy it you didn't love it and lose it. And then there's the ones that got stolen. That really hurts. There are so many that got away I could be typing for a LONG time.
But I guess if I had to pick the one I miss the most it would be my '68 SG.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Not a missed purchase...
but one that got away...
1967/8 I bought a SH Vox Teardrop... sold in 1971 for an Italian semi acoustic jazz...

I still have teardrops...
but not the guitar>>> :cry:

Bombadil wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 pm When I think of the SG that got away...1992, at least where I lived, had not really developed the 'vintage' craze, so the guy offered it to me basically to get rid of it.

But we had a mutual friend...

One day, say around 1981, I went over to his place and he had a Strat on his couch. I plugged it in, and played it for a while. It is probably the best electric guitar I ever played, certainly the best Strat, to this day.

It was a 1957 all original Strat. A bit beaten up, but in good overall shape. Someone dropped 10 C notes in front of him not long after, and he took the money. Again, this was long before 'Vintage' prices.

He still kicks himself. :dog:
57 was a vintage year for strats. That's why they made the AVRIs of them
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Played one of these 10+ years ago, and still regret not dropping the cash on it. USA Jackson Super Lightweight Soloist (SLS). One of my local music shops at the time, now out of business, sold a handful of US-made Jacksons back in the early-mid 2000's. I went back to the store to play it over and over again, and it was gone within a week or two.

Incredibly low action, ridiculous tone. It sounded like a big beefy Les Paul with a fraction of the weight and looked a thousand times cooler. The sharkeye inlays are so badass.

They're almost non-existent these days on the used market. I don't think very many of them were made.
Last edited by Tappistry on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telecode wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:06 pm
Forgotten wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 pm There's also gear that got away from me because I let someone borrow it and didn't get it back.

Nm. Just found info . Apparently not that much.
Basically a Superfuzz, but the Kimbaras have the same components as the original Shin-Ei builds. I had the FY-2, but I think they also made a fuzz-wah version

Fender made a short run of jaguar thinlines, and I always regretted not getting one at the time.

welcome to KvR :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

That's what happened to my Recording King guitar. Worked with the guy for four years. Reliable trustworthy. Lend it to him for two weeks. He gets into an argument with the owner at work. Walks never to be seen again.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:58 am

That's what happened to my Recording King guitar.
One of the newer ones or an original?

Newer one. Did a mini revew in the original "Your Next Guitar" thread.

The thing was... The only time I'd play it was outdoors during summer. Once summer ended I almost never played it indoors.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Well it doesn’t make it any easier old or new, but I can’t imagine how I’d feel if it was one from the ‘30s that would be so much more rare.

My one that got away I had...but sold to a pawn shop in L.A. (at the time favored my SG) to get a "month's rent down" for an apartment in Koreatown, 1989. When I was living in NYC, I bought, brand new from the factory - ordered from Manny's, a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe - left-handed, around 1982. I still sometimes will peruse eBay to see if "my" Les Paul is up there, but I doubt I'd ever buy it for the price it'd sell for...still makes me cringe. :dog:

Return to “Guitars”