The guitar that got away.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Two seeks ago when I was out looking for a keyboard workstation. I happened across a Gibson es 140 copy.

For those who don't know... This is similar to an Ibanez George Benson. A 14 inch body with "Les Paul" type specs but with a full hollow body and P90's.

I had my heart set on the Korg Krome. I got it and it's fullfilled my expectaions but.... I couldn't stop thinking about the little box.

So this time around I had another rare big paycheck and went to see if it was still available. Sadly no it had been sold the day before.

What once in a lifetime guitar did you regret not buying?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

A couple of guitars...

One I did own for a while - a dark cherry red Les Paul custom, which from the serial number was a '74 (it had a one piece mahogany neck so that ties in with the date). It was used when I got it, and it had been set up with an incredibly low action but with no issues from it being so low. Despite a few dings and some minor aesthetic stuff, it was in great playing shape. Unfortunately I got an offer for it at a time when I was really desperate for cash and sold it...I had only owned it for about 2 years and of all the guitars I have ever had it is probably my favorite.

The other one was something I saw in a pawn shop around '82 or so. Not sure of the exact model, but it was a 6/12 string Ibanez double neck with a beautiful walnut finish (probably a copy of a Gibson 1275). I loved it because I was starting to play gigs around that time and it would have been great to incorporate 12 string along with 6, and my buddy knew exactly what it was and said it was a great guitar and a great price (it had been in the pawn shop for months unsold and the price kept dropping). It was just around the time we were finishing high school and didn't have the money to spend, so money ended up being the reason I didn't get it. Looking back I don't know how much I would have played it, but it looked and played so good that I sometimes think if I had bought it I would still have it today.

i was going to buy the guitar that was used on one of my favourite albums, during debates about meeting the studio it was in burned down.

A 1963 SG for 250 CAD back in 1992. A friend was quitting playing and moving to Vancouver. Sadly, I was an impoverished student at the time, and couldn't scrape that together. Probably worth $$$$s, now.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
โ€œDarkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

A Westbury Deluxe in perfect condition and setup, sold in the early 90's, around this time I was experimenting with, well, you know. Similar to the one below. Played like dream.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMCnv9KWre0

Nothing to do with guitars, but it's a great song (from a great album).

When MARS Music was going into bankruptcy they were selling one of those "smartwood" Les Pauls. I had tried and liked that one, but thought "with the shaky job market, better not". But I should have.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Forgotten wrote: โ†‘Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:31 pm A couple of guitars...

One I did own for a while - a dark cherry red Les Paul custom, which from the serial number was a '74
Had one of those but mine was a 78 back in 90. Loved it, played it out regularly in my blues band but it was so heavy I could only go through 6 songs before switching to my strat.
Stolen one night when I was packing up the rest of my gear at a gig.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I loved this PRS that had bats as inlays on the neck/fret markers, but I don't regret it, since the neck was just way too wide for my hand.

Also don't regret because it was expensive as all get-out, but this is a gorgeous piano: https://www.classicfm.com/discover-musi ... heliconia/

I was looking for a great-sounding Fender Precision-style bass geetar, had tried many over the years from Fender, G&L, Tokai, Ibanez, etc. I found two used G&L SB-1s in a Sacramento guitar shop - G&L is the company Leo Fender created after selling Fender Musical Instruments and Music Man...

Both SB-1s were from the mid-80's, they had a few chips and dings but sounded so juicy and rich. One sounded about 10% better than the other, so I decided to buy it. I went up to the register, which had a sticker on it that said "We accept Discover credit cards", but when I pulled mine out, the guy said that they only took Visa, MC and Amex. Bummer, but hey - I'll just come back tomorrow. The next day was September 11, 2001 and I got just a little distracted by more important things... :help:
Last edited by Winstontaneous on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tapper mike wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:09 pm
Forgotten wrote: โ†‘Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:31 pm A couple of guitars...

One I did own for a while - a dark cherry red Les Paul custom, which from the serial number was a '74
Had one of those but mine was a 78 back in 90. Loved it, played it out regularly in my blues band but it was so heavy I could only go through 6 songs before switching to my strat.
Stolen one night when I was packing up the rest of my gear at a gig.
Heavy for sure, but the weight contributed to its fantastic sound, especially from the neck pickup - no other guitar I have owned has had such a full sound once you start driving the amp.

not a regret tbh but around '82 or '83 when a-smith had fill in guitarists and joe perry was failing fast I had a couple interactions with them because we lived in the same area. (Waltham Mass) There was a music store in Waltham (I lived in Bedford, Waltham was 10 minutes away and I had lots of cousins there) and Perry was selling off his guitars, this guy had one. I knew the owner well (I think he had a crush on a Hink just out of the army) and he was trying to sell me Joe Perry's Explorer

I cant find other pics, there was one picture he had with it that I recall well but cant remember where, it's an explorer headstock with an arrow on it...it was that guitar.

He wanted 400 bux for it, I played it and the thing was crap. The switch was toast, when it worked Perry had put in a pre-amp and it was straight white noise and pups were not good at all but I could fix those things...needed a fret job badly, buzzed, hummed and hissed...unplugged it sounded like a shoebox with rubberbands wrapped around it, not buying his name ever and that's what you were buying.

That was one of the last times I went in that store, I was looking at Marshalls as well, shortly after that I was in New Hampshire and stumbled on a 100w plexi head for 350, next time I went in the store I told the guy about it and went asshole on me. I wanted to order a duncan invader through him, he told me to go get it in NH...I bet we as a band spent easily ten times what that marshall he wanted to sell me for (50 watt 800)...all in NH 8) :hihi: (nh has no sales tax)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purposeโ€largerโ€thanโ€theโ€self kind of understanding.

Back in the 80's. A store that I frequented sold Samick. Samich had just purchased Valley Arts. And along with the S-VA guitars some USA Valley Arts guitars came in. There was this one... (not the Californian( A strat type body with a short scale length and a fat neck. It was seriously chunky and yet extremely playable. Everybody loved that guitar but no one bit. There would be guys lined up to play it including me. So when I finally got the money up I go in the store... Sold an hour earlier to some Auto Baron's son. 13 years old and his first guitar ever.

EDIT, wrong thread, sorry guys.
Last edited by reggie1979 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A black Richmond Dorchester. It's kind of like a Rickenbacker.

They were made in Quebec by Godin. Real Canadian wood and craftsmanship. Very well made instruments. Play amazing . The look is an acquired taste. Obviously not as cool and hip as a high end Gibson or Fender. But they were going for over 1000 when they were being made and on sale.

They had a brand spanking almost new one that someone traded in for $250 and came with it's own custom hardshell case. It was hardly played and not a scratch on it. I almost pulled the trigger but kept flipping because I have too many guitars and getting to the point of where to store it. Went back same evening and it was gone. oh well.
๐ŸŒ Spotify ๐Ÿ”ต Soundcloud ๐ŸŒ€ Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to โ€œGuitarsโ€