Is recording a guitar amp still necessary?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:47 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 pm 60 is the new 40.
that's why I didn't say "get off my lawn" :hihi:
and you're not clint
"i used to stack f**ks like you 3 feet high and use you as sand bags in korea, now get off my lswn"

Hink wrote:but again if you ask me it's not a problem still, I think that problem is an unfortunate choice of words. I agree 100% that authentic can easily mean not wanting to try something new, I just dont see how that's problematic for anyone besides perhaps themselves but that would be out of my purview.

I'm 60 now, I'm allowed to be stuck in my ways :hihi:
I only mean it's a problem with people who pretty much refuse to even try amp sims.

I definitely don't mean individuals making their own choices is a problem, as that's entirely different. That's definitely not you though, as there are probably too many posts to count where you've discussed amp sims.

I haven't played through an amp at home for years. I only own the terrible one that came with my first guitar, purchased maybe a quarter of a century ago. I'm not even sure if it still works; haven't used it for decades.

The only amps I've used semi-recently (in the last 5-10 years) were bass amps in practice rooms (and the odd guitar amp when borrowing guitars in the same practice rooms). So essentially I have ~7 guitars and no amps.

I'd say they are not necessary. And it's a lot easier to use sims, although I'm sure if you have a great amp and decent mics and know what you're doing, you'll get a ton of fun out of it. But that sounds like a lot of effort to a lazy sod like me.

Proper feedback is the only thing I personally miss.

Sims can be fun, especially at 2:00 AM. Doesn't take a lot of effort to mangle the sound beyond comprehension, either.

Speaking of amps and sims, I have to go change strings on my Gretsch. Hasta la vista...
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

sjm says he's lazy...he's not alone....I just dont change my strings :lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:09 pm sjm says he's lazy...he's not alone....I just dont change my strings :lol:
that's not lazy, that's frugal.
look after the pennies...

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:49 pm
Hink wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:47 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 pm 60 is the new 40.
that's why I didn't say "get off my lawn" :hihi:
and you're not clint
"i used to stack f**ks like you 3 feet high and use you as sand bags in korea, now get off my lswn"
I dunno, I swear this just happened...I walked out to get in the car with Holly and she asked "why are you carrying your wireless mouse" (trackball) :oops: :lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

have you been at the cookies? :hihi:

Mmmm.... cookies! :D

Strings.. hard to keep track of for me. Every time I change the strings on one of my guitars,I leave a note in the case, gauge, type, date. Just did my Gretsch, and the new strings give it that extra shimmer. I hate dead strings. When I visited Montreal in 2011, I met up with a couple of friends to play guitar. The other player showed up with 6 string and 12 string acoustics. The strings were completely dead and he didn't have a tuner. 'Wish You Were Here,' videotaped at my old hangout, needless to say, was 'orrible. 12 string not in tune with itself + 6 string not in tune with itself and the 12 string. I was supposed to sing in key to that? :dog: I would never, at this point, show up for a jam with dead strings and no tuner. :dog:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I abandoned real guitar amps a long time ago, even when simulations weren’t very good. They could still be very interesting and yield great results if you weren’t married to the specific sound of a traditional amp setup. I didn’t abandon amps for convenience reasons, but for where simulations could take things to places amps could not go. It started when I got heavily into looping. Few amps had effects loops and if you put the looper in front of the amp, it colored the loop in a way that I didn’t always want. I still wanted power amp distortion and artifacts, but how do you put your looper post amp, unless you use a mic, and now you’re wrestling with feedback issues. So, I picked up a Digitech 2120. I loved it. I was too busy loving what it could do than what it couldn’t. Now I have a Kemper, and to me it’s perfect. I’ve not found an ITB solution that sounds as good.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Hink wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:09 pm sjm says he's lazy...he's not alone....I just dont change my strings :lol:
Surely that goes without saying. Strings get changed when they break. And even then, using another guitar is normally the preferable option.

Hink wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 pm

your focus is more on finishing projects, me I say it all the time...I write music to play to, I love riffing. I think my practices might be far less desirable for most people as well :tu:
Projects?!? 'Projects' are what one imagines those young Electronic Dance Music wallahs do. One writes songs. :hihi:

sjm wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:23 pm
Surely that goes without saying. Strings get changed when they break. And even then, using another guitar is normally the preferable option.
+1
I tune by ear. Sometimes i tune a tiny bit different just for certain riffs to sound right. When perfectly tuned it works for most songs/riffs but some riffs need a little bit of detune. Not as the notes would sound wrong but they get another timbre.

sjm wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:55 pm Proper feedback is the only thing I personally miss.
Yeah that’s a thing that needs figuring out. I suppose with the right monitoring it can work but then you’re almost back in ampland.

mjudge55 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:12 am
sjm wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:55 pm Proper feedback is the only thing I personally miss.
Yeah that’s a thing that needs figuring out. I suppose with the right monitoring it can work but then you’re almost back in ampland.
I highly recommend that if you’re doing any type of setup that isn’t a mic’d cab in a room, you get a Sustainiac of some flavor. I have the Stealth model in my Steinberger and if you use it with just a touch of gain, it really feels like you’re standing next to a cranked stack.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Guitars”