Is recording a guitar amp still necessary?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Using real amps: for me yes sure. My Orange OD-120 sounds way better than my Tech21 Tri-OD pedal or any ampsim I tried, which arent that many.

Miking them up: not nescessary. I got this Koch Loadbox that connects as a cabinet to the amp, but works like a DI. So I can turn up the amp to eleven and not wake up neighbours baby at midnight. While it sounds stunningly as a real miked up cabinet. All passive components, basically it's a toaster.

And this is why I don't need to try out ampsims, the real one I got is good enough.
forwardaudio wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:20 pm I've actually heard that too recently - mostly to create a reliable live setup and make the FOH's life easier :D
I've done FOH in far less ideal circumstances than what those big acts face, and guitars were always relatively easy. Suspend a Shure e906 (or was it 609, I keep forgetting) in front of the cabinet, bit of EQ to match with the natural sound. Done!

Or use that Koch Loadbox ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Even I'd say that while I suppose it isn't technically "necessary" with legitimate tools that help avoid recording an amp plus the aforementioned straight into the board technique that has been used for years, people still will and should record guitar amps as they please if that's their workflow and contributes to their vision and sound.

People have been using nonstandard approaches to recording guitar for years, anyway. For lack of a better example, Def Leppard's "Hysteria" album comes to mind as most of it was recorded through Rockman boxes (the Walkmanesque models, too, even if memory serves) with a couple of exceptions where demo tracks through a small GK amp remained on the final release. It certainly suited the sound of this material, whatever one's opinion may be about this type of 80s rock.

I and many here at IK, regardless of the fact that we create software tools to specifically reduce the need to do so, will always not only respect but will also enjoy recording guitar amps too. There are many tools in the toolbox, if something works for someone and it sounds good (even just to them, for their enjoyment) then carry on. It probably varies for many depending on the project too and using a combination of approaches can have great results too.

But I have to say the obligatory "buy our stuff and don't record your amps". Just kidding, of course. Do both. Or neither. Or whichever floats your boat.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 pm
People have been using nonstandard approaches to recording guitar for years, anyway. For lack of a better example, Def Leppard's "Hysteria" album comes to mind as most of it was recorded through Rockman boxes (the Walkmanesque models, too, even if memory serves) with a couple of exceptions where demo tracks through a small GK amp remained on the final release. It certainly suited the sound of this material, whatever one's opinion may be about this type of 80s rock.
,,,and often one string at a time. :lol:

https://www.guitarworld.com/gw-archive/ ... s-hysteria

Even as an indie bastard I still love some of those songs, crazy production and very inventive, within it's oeuvre.

forwardaudio wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 pm Hey guys, happy guitar month! :party:
:party:
forwardaudio wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 pm Is recording an amp or cabinet still necessary in times where profiling, amp simulations and IR plugins are available?
Though software has become more powerful and more easy to maintain for an engineer, I'd say yes. Especially in productions where the guitar has a major role or lead part, the quality or depthness adds it part. I've heard many pop or even rock songs with so many elements in them that the guitar has become only a triviality. You might use simulations there.
forwardaudio wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 pm And if so, how many microphones on average do you actually use to get the best results?
Usually 2 to 3 is enough for my needs. Funny enough often the same setup doesn't work for even similar songs.

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:36 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 pm
,,,and often one string at a time. :lol:

https://www.guitarworld.com/gw-archive/ ... s-hysteria

Even as an indie bastard I still love some of those songs, crazy production and very inventive, within it's oeuvre.
Yes, I didn't go into that but I did think about that somewhat bizarre technique (that's a compliment). I also agree that there are some great songs on that album and the production was inventive - and I am a fan of the Rockman, which may be influenced by nostalgia as my early high school rig was a Rockman unit into two amps which sounded cool (whether it looked cool is debatable, though).

I'm confused. An amp sim is necessary for those of us with other people who cannot be bothered by a "real" amp, but not necessarily bothered because they can be really good with a little knowledge.

I don't understand.

I prefer to play through a good amp than a sim. Just that one intangable variable, I think, makes me play better. Which isn't to say I don't use sims. Scuffham Amps gets the most use. Amplitube the least. But I would defy anyone to be able to tell the difference in a recording, especially non-musicians. They just don't seem to care. All that matters is the song is good, and the guitar bits enhance the song.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

even when using a sim i still put my foot up on the amp while rocking out :band:
admittedly, im sat down and it's more for comfort than anything.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:37 pm
mike_the_ranger wrote:But a good amp sim is just better than the cheap crap I have available here.
Totally agree - amp sims have come a long way and I'd far rather use one than a crappy amp.
mjudge55 wrote:It’s just a psychological hurdle, especially when we rock musicians are so hung up about ‘authenticity’.
I think that's a problem, as there are some people who will refuse to be convinced to give up their amps, but the one place I think real amps have an advantage is how quickly you can experiment with mic placement, reflections, damping, etc.
problem? Is my preferring to use tube amps a problem for anyone? :hihi: For some people it's part of the experience, part of the joy and that isn't a problem for me. Meanwhile there is another advantage for me, I used sims (including line six gear), sansamp gt2 (which I loved) and now that I have running this rig here for 6 or 7 years I can say absolutely, no doubt, tube amps are more inspirational for me.

It has nothing to do with quality of the sim, nothing to do with accuracy of the sim and I'm not going to sit down with a blindfold and say sim vs amp. It has absolutely everything to do with just me and how Im wired, everything I do is facing a computer screen and everything is virtual, digital, which is not a problem. But when I sit down with the guitar, my passion I truly am more inspired psychologically by doing it old school. Of course I can go much further than experimenting with mic placement and all because my system is quite modular and I also have a great collection of power tubes for swapping in and out.

Is it necessary? For me yes, anyone else I dont care...but for me yes :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 pm
mike_the_ranger wrote:But a good amp sim is just better than the cheap crap I have available here.
Totally agree - amp sims have come a long way and I'd far rather use one than a crappy amp.
mjudge55 wrote:It’s just a psychological hurdle, especially when we rock musicians are so hung up about ‘authenticity’.
I think that's a problem, as there are some people who will refuse to be convinced to give up their amps, but the one place I think real amps have an advantage is how quickly you can experiment with mic placement, reflections, damping, etc.
problem? Is my preferring to use tube amps a problem for anyone? :hihi: For some people it's part of the experience, part of the joy and that isn't a problem for me. Meanwhile there is another advantage for me, I used sims (including line six gear), sansamp gt2 (which I loved) and now that I have running this rig here for 6 or 7 years I can say absolutely, no doubt, tube amps are more inspirational for me.

It has nothing to do with quality of the sim, nothing to do with accuracy of the sim and I'm not going to sit down with a blindfold and say sim vs amp. It has absolutely everything to do with just me and how Im wired, everything I do is facing a computer screen and everything is virtual, digital, which is not a problem. But when I sit down with the guitar, my passion I truly am more inspired psychologically by doing it old school. Of course I can go much further than expirimenting with mic placement and all but my system is quite modular and I also have a great collection of power tubes for swapping in and out.

Hehe, possibly as far opposite as you can get. Unless I'm having one of my irregular forays into the murky world of rokk/metel, quite a lot of the time I don't use any amp, or amp sim, or pedal when recording, just straight DI into the komputer. I sort out the guitar sound afterwards. Being more of a chords and picking rather than a 'riffs' type of player it probably matters a lot less that you hear the 'end result' whilst playing.

Like a lot of things (musically I mean... :o ), I suspect my practices would be regarded as a bit suspect by many. :hihi:

Hink wrote:problem? Is my preferring to use tube amps a problem for anyone? :hihi: For some people it's part of the experience, part of the joy and that isn't a problem for me.
I kind of meant it the other way round - some people absolutely refuse to give up their real amps and won't even try amp sims because they don't think it's 'authentic'.

I kind of read authentic = an excuse to not try new things in the original post I quoted, but I know the experience of using real amps is something that you just can't get from amp sims.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:27 pm
Hink wrote:problem? Is my preferring to use tube amps a problem for anyone? :hihi: For some people it's part of the experience, part of the joy and that isn't a problem for me.
I kind of meant it the other way round - some people absolutely refuse to give up their real amps and won't even try amp sims because they don't think it's 'authentic'.

I kind of read authentic = an excuse to not try new things in the original post I quoted, but I know the experience of using real amps is something that you just can't get from amp sims.
but again if you ask me it's not a problem still, I think that problem is an unfortunate choice of words. I agree 100% that authentic can easily mean not wanting to try something new, I just dont see how that's problematic for anyone besides perhaps themselves but that would be out of my purview.

I'm 60 now, I'm allowed to be stuck in my ways :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

60 is the new 40.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:22 pm
Hink wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 pm

It has nothing to do with quality of the sim, nothing to do with accuracy of the sim and I'm not going to sit down with a blindfold and say sim vs amp. It has absolutely everything to do with just me and how Im wired, everything I do is facing a computer screen and everything is virtual, digital, which is not a problem. But when I sit down with the guitar, my passion I truly am more inspired psychologically by doing it old school. Of course I can go much further than expirimenting with mic placement and all but my system is quite modular and I also have a great collection of power tubes for swapping in and out.

Hehe, possibly as far opposite as you can get. Unless I'm having one of my irregular forays into the murky world of rokk/metel, quite a lot of the time I don't use any amp, or amp sim, or pedal when recording, just straight DI into the komputer. I sort out the guitar sound afterwards. Being more of a chords and picking rather than a 'riffs' type of player it probably matters a lot less that you hear the 'end result' whilst playing.

Like a lot of things (musically I mean... :o ), I suspect my practices would be regarded as a bit suspect by many. :hihi:
your focus is more on finishing projects, me I say it all the time...I write music to play to, I love riffing. I think my practices might be far less desirable for most people as well :tu:

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 pm 60 is the new 40.
that's why I didn't say "get off my lawn" :hihi:

Return to “Guitars”