Is recording a guitar amp still necessary?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, happy guitar month! :party:

We'd like to take the chance and ask about your recording behaviour.

Is recording an amp or cabinet still necessary in times where profiling, amp simulations and IR plugins are available? And if so, how many microphones on average do you actually use to get the best results?

Looking forward to some interesting viewpoints or tips & tricks!
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

Wellll...it was never always necessary in the first place...

https://reverb.com/uk/news/8-famous-gui ... -the-board

Carry on.. :hihi:

It depends - there are things that you can do when recording an amp that are very difficult to reproduce with software or digital hardware.

Even live some performers have given up using amps and have moved to hardware processors like Tech21 SansAmp drivers. Geddy Lee of Rush no longer tours with amps (he puts washing machines, rotisserie chicken, vending machines, etc. where the stacks used to be) and just uses a small piece of hardware.

I have a couple of SansAmp units (GT2 for guitar amp simulation, and Para Driver to run electro-acoustic instruments and bass through it) and prefer the sound of them over the amps that I have. Admittedly I don't have any expensive or vintage amps, but I prefer my Tech21 gear over anything that I have in software.

However, sometimes it's difficult to reproduce mic-ing up an amp and using the room or reflective surfaces to get a certain sound. I think there's room to use guitar amps to get a certain sound, but I don't think it's really as necessary these days.

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:02 pm Wellll...it was never always necessary in the first place...

I heard that about Nile Rogers before and tried it myself - straight into the board them blend a mix of re-amped guitar with it to get that clean, fat sound. Works really well for teh funk.

geddy lee sounds like an idiot.
save the fuel costs and don't put anything there :dog:

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:12 pm geddy lee sounds like an idiot.
I think he can afford it now... :hihi:

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:15 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:12 pm geddy lee sounds like an idiot.
I think he can afford it now... :hihi:
but can the planet? there! i said it! geddy lee single handedly with clarkson* killed earth.

* - jeremy not kelly. shes innocent. in this at least...

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:07 pm Even live some performers have given up using amps and have moved to hardware processors like Tech21 SansAmp drivers. Geddy Lee of Rush no longer tours with amps (he puts washing machines, rotisserie chicken, vending machines, etc. where the stacks used to be) and just uses a small piece of hardware.
I've actually heard that too recently - mostly to create a reliable live setup and make the FOH's life easier :D
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:12 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:02 pm Wellll...it was never always necessary in the first place...

I heard that about Nile Rogers before and tried it myself - straight into the board them blend a mix of re-amped guitar with it to get that clean, fat sound. Works really well for teh funk.
Generally do similar with the McGuinn type thing with the 12 strings meself - one track straight in, compressed absolutely to buggery with no bass and the high end wound up, and then the other a more normal Fender type amp sound. Nicey jangle!

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:07 pmI have a couple of SansAmp units (GT2 for guitar amp simulation, and Para Driver to run electro-acoustic instruments and bass through it) and prefer the sound of them over the amps that I have. Admittedly I don't have any expensive or vintage amps, but I prefer my Tech21 gear over anything that I have in software.
That's a good point I can understand. I would heavily use outboard equip if I'd have some that is good :lol: But a good amp sim is just better than the cheap crap I have available here.

I usually like to record the DI and 3 to 4 mics. Some for the bottom, some for the highs, one for some roughness or combfiltering and often one "room" mic (not meaning actually room mic but being just a couple more feet away).

I don’t think it’ll be long before we’ve largely left them behind in the studio. It’s just a psychological hurdle, especially when we rock musicians are so hung up about ‘authenticity’. I say this coming from technophobic underground scenes, and I fully appreciate the Steve Albini ‘record the band playing their songs’ approach.

mike_the_ranger wrote:But a good amp sim is just better than the cheap crap I have available here.
Totally agree - amp sims have come a long way and I'd far rather use one than a crappy amp.
mjudge55 wrote:It’s just a psychological hurdle, especially when we rock musicians are so hung up about ‘authenticity’.
I think that's a problem, as there are some people who will refuse to be convinced to give up their amps, but the one place I think real amps have an advantage is how quickly you can experiment with mic placement, reflections, damping, etc.

Ere's a thing, slightly off at a tangent, but related..

A lot of the time, even if I'm recording an electric DI, I'll have a 'room' mic recording the unplugged guitar sound and sometimes will either blend this in with later acoustic guitars at a low level, or even sometimes stick it in with the DI signal though an amp sim - interesting results, a bit hit and miss!

Wondering if anyone else does this, or (as I suspect..) I am a bit weird. :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 pm Ere's a thing, slightly off at a tangent, but related..

A lot of the time, even if I'm recording an electric DI, I'll have a 'room' mic recording the unplugged guitar sound and sometimes will either blend this in with later acoustic guitars at a low level, or even sometimes stick it in with the DI signal though an amp sim - interesting results, a bit hit and miss!

Wondering if anyone else does this, or (as I suspect..) I am a bit weird. :hihi:
dunno about amp sims and such, but didn't eno do a lot of that with mick ronson for the bowie sessions? or was it with fripp?
micing the strings i mean?

mike_the_ranger wrote: I think that's a problem, as there are some people who will refuse to be convinced to give up their amps, but the one place I think real amps have an advantage is how quickly you can experiment with mic placement, reflections, damping, etc.
I don’t know, don’t our sims now have tons of mic placement, EQ, and IR options that are super quick too? Even if they didn’t, guitar players being ‘stuck’ with their physical amps’ tonal limitations seems more fundamental to me. I say this as a guy with one amp, a Mesa dual rectifier that’s got one signature sound and a couple other sounds in it... which I love.

Return to “Guitars”