Appalachian dulcimer anyone?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know there are a couple of people here who play one.

I got one last year after thinking about it for many years. Very easy to play, but don't think I will ever get used to playing one with a noter - seems much easier to play without one, and I don't really see the advantage of using one other than some ungainly sounding slides that you can do.

I often reach for the one in Air Xpand!2 :D

Would love to have a real one though.. And know how to play it..

been on my list to build for a long time, maybe this winter :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I know you already built a hammered dulcimer, so that will be a good companion build :tu:

I have one, bought from Muzzicon (Muziccon?) in Dublin. It's pretty good. Not used to the noter, either. I suppose I could try a real slide, or just practice more. I hardly play it these days.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

gosh darned hippys.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:02 pm I have one, bought from Muzzicon (Muziccon?) in Dublin. It's pretty good. Not used to the noter, either. I suppose I could try a real slide, or just practice more. I hardly play it these days.
The reason I find the noter a difficult concept is that I sometimes fret more than one string on a different fret to get something other than a root-fifth-octave chord and that I use hammer ons and pull offs. The noter seems to limit playing technique, so I've never really used one.

Why did the Psych Folk band fall out of a tree?

Because it's dulcimer was hammered...

Those are hammered dulcimers. I'm talking about Appalachian dulcimers:

I know, see my joke above, and if you check his site he also makes very lovely Appalachian ones too. :hihi:

OK, only noticed the hammered dulcimers first time

Yeah, I had a good search around for Dulcimer makers (both kinds, plus Autoharps, Zithers and Psalteries) a while back, and his seemed to look the best/made the biggest visual impression, although I have not tried any in person.

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:44 pm These ones look lovely:

https://www.jamesjonesinstruments.com/h ... -dulcimers
Must be a headache to tune.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Bombadil wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:53 pm
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:44 pm These ones look lovely:

https://www.jamesjonesinstruments.com/h ... -dulcimers
Must be a headache to tune.
You need to ask Hink about that...I seem to recall he said he wore safety glasses while tuning it because of the tension on the strings!

Return to “Guitars”