Anyone using an external guitar processor?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is anyone getting good results using out of box the guitar processors/pedals?
If not, got any ITB recommendations or patches?
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Yep!

Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:13 pm Yep!

Nice, not too much, I assume when using an amp, your time based effects are in the loop.
Is this straight into PC, any IR loaders used, is your Tech 21 is on while doing this?

Tried similar using a Joyo/Harley Benton American sound with pedals before it and a Mooer Pure Boost after.

On with making a pedal board.
Going to try pedals in to GT-8, in front or loop, then out digitally and analogue as a test.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

No, I don't put anything through a send/return, I use this chain:

Guitar
Vox Wah-wah
MXR Super Compressor
EXH Soul Food (Overdrive/Loudness)
Big Muff Pi (Fuzz)
Boss DS-2 (Distortion)
EXH Worm (Phaser/Tremolo/Auto wah)
Boss Volume pedal
MXR Carbon Copy (Delay)
EXH Oceans 11 (Reverb)
Tech21 SansAmp GT2 (Amp simulator)
Amp or mixer

When I record I run the SansAmp GT2 into my mixer and use the mixer's USB interface to connect to my laptop.

I've been reduced to using only a computer and my studio monitors as my "amp" for some time now.

Strongly considering getting a V4 Kraken pedal with my interface, then using something like Torpedo Wall of Sound for virtual power amp and IRs ...

That looks a beast, no pun intended.
The Laney IRT-Pulse Ironheart USB Tube Preamp looks interesting too, even more does the Laney L5-Studio Head.
https://youtu.be/11HezQfikVI

I recently acquired the Kraken V4 and the gain sound is glorious. The closest thing I have to the Gain 2 channel in software is the Kazrog Psycho C with the "tube screamer trick"; running a TS plugin in front with very little gain and tone control raised a bit to cut lows. I've yet to make a good match to Gain 1; it's JCM-ish but with a different EQ and lots of sustain.

The Kraken has a natural low-cut so sounds tight out-of-the-box. It's rich but articulate and doesn't ruin chords as easily as a distortion pedal would. It doesn't really do cleans, though! You have to back off the input volume to make it clean up even on low gain.

you dont mention whether this is for live or for home studio recording. i havent used my guitar processor is ages. i dont bother with the VST based guitar stuff available. i feel i can easily dial up any sound without having to tinker with too many cables. i still obviously use the old GT for live.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

theres also a vfe klein bottle.
and all the modular processing too.

ocassionally i will use guitar rig, as there are se nice fx in there too, amp sims not so much.

as a guitar player im a great sound designer :hihi:

Been doing it for a long time, equipment keeps changing though.

Started with an OD to soundcard, it was more of a feel thing to be honest but did make a difference (maybe because using a hotter signal to soundcard compared to DI). Aside tone, an amp guy usually feels something missing when using plug-ins and this helps.

Then tried/added a few dist. pedals used as preamps, boss md-2 and mt-2 are great starting pedals and I still have my mt-2. I like to shred, with the right ir cab. its still a great tone even compared to todays plug-ins. I do want a dedicated preamp for solo stuff but never made up my mind, probably because dist. pedals as preamps work so well for me.

Had a Boss gt-1, sold a few months ago. Got great results when I made tones on it by referencing plug-ins. I still feel positive about the unit and recommend it highly for those in a budget, but I guess I wanted something better after enjoying it for near 2 years.

Almost every night I open backtracks to jam, don't like opening a DAW (for cab, delay etc.). These days I'm thinking of getting a cheap ir pedal and delay, liking the Nux stuff so far.

TIP; I use the voxengo tube-amp plug-in as a poweramp sim. , freeware and add a richness+cool feel to any tone with just a little drive.

Some nice suggestions and nice rigs, cool. :band:
Vurt, what's in the Rizla tin?

it's a fuzz pedal :)

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 am ocassionally i will use guitar rig, as there are se nice fx in there too, amp sims not so much.
I still mostly use NI Guitar Rig on the desktop. I manage to get the sounds I need. I have BIAS and Amplitube on iOS. I like them but not enough to invest in the desktop version yet.

What are you using for Amp Sims?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

amps. :hihi:

Return to “Guitars”