Up generic creek with just one pedal

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

maybe not original but cool as f**k!

iommi ftw! :band:

I got one of those Fat Cats in the 80s and I played it into the Peavey Pacer I had at the time. I read that it was supposed to have been a RAT clone, and there are similarities, but I think the RAT is a little sharper and the FC10 more midrangy.

I think consistency with pedals sometimes depends on the era in which they were built. In the last 20 or 30 years I think you buy a pedal and it's pretty much the same as another pedal, but in the 60s and 70s you could get quite a bit of variation in sound between pedals because there the tolerance of the components and the sourcing could be so varied.

Not sure if I remember correctly who the interview was with, but it could have been Jeff Beck - he was talking about back in the day when you didn't go to a guitar store to demo a pedal, you asked them to get every pedal they had out of the box to see which one you like the sound of best as they all sounded different.

Elektron Analog Drive

Forgotten wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:01 pm .

Not sure if I remember correctly who the interview was with, but it could have been Jeff Beck - he was talking about back in the day when you didn't go to a guitar store to demo a pedal, you asked them to get every pedal they had out of the box to see which one you like the sound of best as they all sounded different.
yeah, if you where rich :lol:
rest of us, looking around proper old second hand shops, getting a choice of one! after months of searching, if it worked it was bought!!! :hihi:

I’m pretty sure Jeff Beck didn’t have that problem... :hihi:

Forgotten wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:01 pm I think consistency with pedals sometimes depends on the era in which they were built. In the last 20 or 30 years I think you buy a pedal and it's pretty much the same as another pedal
- there are still such differences among analog pedals (someone at thegearpage recently mentioned having compared a number of T-Rex Mudhoney pedals, hoping to prove those built in Denmark were better, but ending up having to admit they all sound a little different, regardless of origin)
- differences used to be caused not only by tolerances, but frequent changes in parts (transistors, chips) and that happens less often these days.

So ONE multi-fx pedal isn't allowed? Like Kempers new one, or VOX Lab?
You really mean ONE EFFECT pedal? Analog?
Eventide H9 has a lot of effects, however only one at a time so to speak.

I can have all the dirt and gain from the amp I choose to use so not that many dirt pedals needs to be on all of the time. But in terms of ONE effect pedal, it must be some kind of delay. Any will do actually, it doesn't have to be that vintage tape vibe. One can (I can do) most things out of a delay pedal, even using it as an intonation tool should not any tuner be around...

1. By pressing the harmonic above the 12th fret, and you press down the fret when that harmonic ping returns from the pedal. If they waver, they're out of intonation, and you adjust the screws accordingly until they are in tune, and no chorusing occurs.
2. If the delay pedal has modulation, it can be turned down in the delay of a few milliseconds, and you can use it as a very good chorus, or flanger even. And a good one at that.
3. If the delays are long and it has a hold/freeze function, you can play canon, and harmonic lines in tanden, step on the pedal, freeze the recurring lines, and play on top of it. Without it going into delay again.
4. Rhythmic delays to either help keep your timing up or do cheating with dotted 8s at faster tempo, a la U2 and the likes. "Ultramarine" by exp guitarist Michael Brook is a prime example of how to use percussive drumming (on guitar) from a delay machine, sounding like an African tribe go on a spin.
5. Ordinary delays, with taps, to mimick old Shadows, Ventures type stuff.
6. Of course, with some analog warping you can do the ordinary Floydian Space Rock, and beyond with out-of-this world spacey science fiction effects... but it just last so long... but ..you can. If you turn the knobs while playing into self oscillation and so on.
7. Tap tempo button or even better STRUM TEMPO (my friend hooked me on to that) is crucial for some stuff.
8. You can do short slapback country echoes at 110 ms, and long Frippertronics delays going on for several seconds. Giving those extreme settings, as short as possible and as long as possible, after a while, you wouldn't dream of that it came from one and the same pedal.

So: Delay. Digital or Analog doesn't matter to me.

I want back my DIgiTech TimeBender. Most underrated delay pedal in the world. Still. 10-12 years old, and discontinued.

Return to “Guitars”