Your next guitar revisited

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So... I hit the streets looking for a Korg Krome or M3... Complete waste of time 8 hours of going from store to store in metro Detroit.

Along the way I see this Chibson ES-140 at a local music store. In the past I might be prone to playing the thing and if I liked it I would have taken it home. (If only dating were so simple) [/]

I've been thinking about a smaller jazz box like a 140 or a GB10 for some time. Unfortuately I finally caved and bought the korg online so I'm tapped for awhile.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

I am thinking of converting my D-28 and a Taylor 320 into a HD-35. I want a dread that'll rattle my ribcage. Sticking point is, I don't want to sell the D-28. In fact, I'm really not motivated to begin the selling process. It is almost always more trouble than it's worth.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

I still don't own a 12 string of any kind, and every now and then think about it. Problem is that I then get distracted by one of my other guitars and end up playing that for a while and forget about the 12 string...

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:18 pm I still don't own a 12 string of any kind, and every now and then think about it. Problem is that I then get distracted by one of my other guitars and end up playing that for a while and forget about the 12 string...
I bought one a year ago. Kind of regret it now.
Playing it don't weigh up the long time to tune it. And it goes out of tune fairly quick too.
I thought i would have more fun with it...

Have you set it up (or had someone else set it up)? Might be that there are issues that can be fixed by a good luthier.

It was stringed and tuned when i got it.
Maybe it's normal for an acoustic guitar with steel strings to go out of tune after a month?
I thought steel strings doesn't detune in the same way nylon does.
My electric guitars keeps the tuning several months.
Plus my pricerange is the lowest of the lows so there's that...
I like the sound from my low cost guitars. They are tunable and they have that rod in the neck to straighten it. No jar problem.

Lots of things affect how well a guitar keeps its tuning - angle of the headstock, the way the strings are wound onto the tuners, how well the strings run through the nut, humidity, how it's stored when not used.

Any of those things (and probably some I haven't mentioned) can impact how well a guitar stays in tune when not being used.

It's possible the truss rod needs tightening. You can see how tight it is and give 1/8-1/4 turn clockwise

Well. I tried a Taylor hybrid the other day. Good instrument but quite out of price range, even at a used price .around 2500 kanuk dollars. Maybe if I was Jessie Cooke. Which I am not.

https://images.app.goo.gl/fywNMWHGFcadpZs1A
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Those Taylors always underwhelmed me. Many Taylors do, in fact. I think the price/performance ratio is not so good, especially past the 3xx line.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

nix808 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:11 am It's possible the truss rod needs tightening. You can see how tight it is and give 1/8-1/4 turn clockwise
I wouldn't adjust the truss rod because of tuning issues, as the neck might be perfectly straight and tuning issues could still be there. I'd measure the curvature of the neck to determine if it needed adjusting, and leave it if it's straight.

it's possible the trussrod is not tight?
We solved this issue last time,
but where is the slipping?

Here's my latest lust -> Image

I think people have very high expectations of tuning longevity. My guitars all need tuning every time I'm going to use them.

People often blame the tuners but I think that's seldom the problem. Usually more things like string type, age and cleanliness. Humidity has a huge effect, I keep meters around and if the humidity changes 5 points some strings could be at the next semitone.

Personally, if I can get 45mins of in-tune out of any guitar while playing it I call that a victory.

My next guitar:
I'm planning to go for a rhythm acoustic. My Yamaha CPX 900 is brilliant for fingering but too dynamic for chord strumming. Just doesn't feel like home for rhythm, too much work to keep it at a constant volume/expression. I think I'll try some middle-tier solid top Yamahas looking for one with a nice tone but shallow dynamic. I used to have a very cheap laminate Yamaha that was a ton of fun to play, but sounded poor when recorded, so looking for that middle ground.

nix808 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm it's possible the trussrod is not tight?
It's possible, but I would determine that from the straightness of the neck rather than from tuning issues. Fix one and you might fix the other, but I prefer to only touch the truss rod if I can measure a problem with the neck.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:21 pm
nix808 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm it's possible the trussrod is not tight?
It's possible, but I would determine that from the straightness of the neck rather than from tuning issues. Fix one and you might fix the other, but I prefer to only touch the truss rod if I can measure a problem with the neck.
Given we're talking about a 12 string here..

A lot of people (me included) like to reduce the tension by tuning down a semitone or 2 (I like 2) and using a capo (the 'Shubb' style ones work best for 12 strings I've found). If the tuners aren't that great to start off with, the lower tension gives them more of a chance. Also avoids snapping that pesky octave G string so much (you're only tuning an .8 or .9 gauge string up to F or F#). Worth a try, you can get one of the capos on Ebay for about £5.

Return to “Guitars”