Something new for guitar coming soon from IK

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

brian may amplitude is my guess.

although some marr would be preferable :hihi:

vurt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:02 pm brian may amplitude is my guess.
You guessed correctly, though it is AmpliTube ;)
vurt wrote: although some marr would be preferable :hihi:
That would be cool.

AmpliTube Brian May for Mac/PC, iPhone, iPad Now Available

stupid phone autocorrect :grrr:

medienhexer wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:31 am Well, someone in the team liked the movie a lot, it seems. Is Brian May an obvious pick? Off the top of my head, I would say the regular lead and rhythm sound from Bohemian Rhapsody and the harmonic lead from I Want To Break Free are likely candidates. But apart from that, do you consider Brian May‘s tones very recognizable? His playing, yes, but is he known for his innovative sounds?

I mean: Eddie Van Halen.. Mark Knopfler.. James Hetfield.. The Edge.. Andy Summers.. Steve Vai.. hell, B. B. King.. there are a lot of guitarists whose sound I think is more relevant to someone wanting to sell virtual gear 😉
Brian May's tone is unique and very difficult to achieve if you have tried. The amount of clean, thick sustain he gets and his ability to stack tons of tracks and yet have each line still sound clean and clear is unreal.
I wonder if IK will be able to nail that quality of his tone.

In the past I have been able to get in the ballpark with single lines but when I try to overdub a harmony line like he does, all of the 3rds end up sounding like a smeared, distorted mess. I still don't know how he does it.

It's funny because with the players you mention, to me their tone is all about their playing style and I feel if an average player plugged in to their rigs it would sound pretty generic. With Brian May, I feel it is playing style and gear that contribute to the tone in a unique way.
I think this is a pretty cool move from IK and I'm curious to see if they got it right.

Local Man wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:46 pm In the past I have been able to get in the ballpark with single lines but when I try to overdub a harmony line like he does, all of the 3rds end up sounding like a smeared, distorted mess. I still don't know how he does it.
Is that maybe what the Deaky is for? It's a tiny cab, so presumably delivers a pretty narrowband sound that may simply stack better with a bit of EQ or a straight high/low cut.

telecode wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm I liked queen before they got all hot and hip again. After Mercury passed, they were forgotten within a few years and I liked digging into their catalog as they has a certain hidden treasures appeal to me. Now they are all too over commerciallized . I guess whoever bought the rights to Queen property after EMI went belly up must be milking it for all it was worth. Let see some Queen EDM extended DJ mixes.
Queen have had multiple afterlives. This is just the latest resurgence. I think it's a good thing. If it wasn't for the Wayne's World resurgence in the 90s I might not have been exposed to them as a kid. I think stuff like what's happening now is good for young music listeners.

That said I never watched that new movie. It looked like one of those corny VH1 rock docs and yet is somehow got nominated for best picture. Weird.

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:50 pm
Local Man wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:46 pm In the past I have been able to get in the ballpark with single lines but when I try to overdub a harmony line like he does, all of the 3rds end up sounding like a smeared, distorted mess. I still don't know how he does it.
Is that maybe what the Deaky is for? It's a tiny cab, so presumably delivers a pretty narrowband sound that may simply stack better with a bit of EQ or a straight high/low cut.
Interesting. I'll have to look it up.
The thing is that nothing about his tone sounds "narrow band." That's the magic of it.
But obviously stacking using narrow frequency ranges can add up to something much greater than the sum of the parts.

Local Man wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:57 pm Interesting. I'll have to look it up.
The thing is that nothing about his tone sounds "narrow band." That's the magic of it.
But obviously stacking using narrow frequency ranges can add up to something much greater than the sum of the parts.
What I was thinking was that the core sound is the three AC30s, but then overdub much thinner harmony lines on top that probably sound horrible in isolation but which don't ruin the fundamental texture. It's just a guess but simply looking at the Deaky, I wouldn't be surprised if it produces a tone not unlike that "toy guitar" sound you hear on Peter Gabriel's third album (which was achieved using a cheap amp picked up from a thrift store IIRC).

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:00 pm
Local Man wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:57 pm Interesting. I'll have to look it up.
What I was thinking was that the core sound is the three AC30s, but then overdub much thinner harmony lines on top that probably sound horrible in isolation but which don't ruin the fundamental texture. It's just a guess but simply looking at the Deaky, I wouldn't be surprised if it produces a tone not unlike that "toy guitar" sound you hear on Peter Gabriel's third album (which was achieved using a cheap amp picked up from a thrift store IIRC).
That sounds about right. I did try similar things years ago with just EQ but it always sounded artificial and not quite right.
But that was back when I had much less experience and I just didn't have the skill to pull it off.
Another thing I've learned since then is to pick or pluck at half the string length (which you have to change as you go up and down the fretboard) in order to get a much stronger fundamental and a clearer, stronger tone.

Is it the Lil Wayne signature guitar sound?

Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:56 pm Is it the Lil Wayne signature guitar sound?
wasnt that "bass6 in fiesta pink"?

Local Man wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:53 pm
telecode wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm I liked queen before they got all hot and hip again. After Mercury passed, they were forgotten within a few years and I liked digging into their catalog as they has a certain hidden treasures appeal to me. Now they are all too over commerciallized . I guess whoever bought the rights to Queen property after EMI went belly up must be milking it for all it was worth. Let see some Queen EDM extended DJ mixes.
Queen have had multiple afterlives. This is just the latest resurgence. I think it's a good thing. If it wasn't for the Wayne's World resurgence in the 90s I might not have been exposed to them as a kid. I think stuff like what's happening now is good for young music listeners.

That said I never watched that new movie. It looked like one of those corny VH1 rock docs and yet is somehow got nominated for best picture. Weird.
Haven't seen the queen film either. But the Elton John one is supposed to be much better.

I think the early 90s popularity coincided with the death or Mercury. I recall the last record Innuendo being panned .

I think they will keep having resurgence in popularity because the songs are very well crafted pop rock songs.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:05 pm I think the early 90s popularity coincided with the death or Mercury. I recall the last record Innuendo being panned .
Innuendo? I think it got pretty good reviews if I remember right.

Are you sure you're not thinking of 'The Miracle' that came before it? I remember that one got panned.

yeah innuendo was huge.

as for the current popularity, over here at least it's been quite high since the musical really. although it never really went away, yeah not the huge post band aid type popularity, but always around in one way or another.

Return to “Guitars”