CPU usage

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm using AMBEO Orbit in Studio one 4.5. I got a strange bug when I open my project and my CPU is 100%. Everything lags and freezes. The cause is the plugin. I had same situation before, it resolved at some point (strangely enough). I just bounced all those tracks with it. But when I'm using 3+ instances, I get it now. And I could use a lot more previously without this bug. My CPU is powerful enough to handle 50+ tracks with lots of effects, buses, mastering at the same time. That is strange. By the way, Studio One says CPU usage is low (like 20-30%) but really it's 95-100%. Guys using FL Studio get it to, just google it. 'The issue was caused by an effect plugin called AMBEO ORBIT of Senheiser, that I use for an 3D sound effect in a channel. I removed the plugin and the CPU restored a normal performance after rendering.'

By the way, the plugin reads Studio One automatization very strangely. Instead of smooth linear movement settings are crazily jumping in direction of automatization (like shaking).

Same using Reaper.

Hi Gimbatul

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Orbit.
To be able to help you, we need a bit of information about your system:
  • What version of Orbit are you using? The latest 1.0.1 ?
  • What OS are you running? Windows? MacOS? Which version?
  • What's your CPU / how much RAM do you have?
Studio One says CPU usage is low (like 20-30%) but really it's 95-100%
This could be due to the fact that you have a multi-core processor - there's no fixed convention on whether a program displays the percentage relative to one core or to all of them (and how hyper-threaded cores are counted).

In the meantime, I'm trying to reproduce the issue on our side.

Lorenz / AMBEO

Hi Lorenz, thank you for the reply.

Latest one, 1.0.1
Window 10 64bit 1909 (latest build)
4700MQ, 16 GB of RAM

No, it does not cause usually metering is fine (like maybe a couple of percents off, but surely, S1 knows it's running multiple threads). If I open a project with only 4-5 Orbits in it (not even actual tracks or other plugins), my PC will freeze. And I'm perfectly fine running any other 4 plugins that actually do something even with oversampling. Like 4 Invisible Limiters working on 768kHz are perfectly fine (16 to 20% usage) and metering in S1 and Windows is the same (maybe a percent off, but you know how it works). Try deleting a project's cache and opening it again with Orbit in it. I think this is how it started. Maybe it is caused by .NET updates? Probably, could be a compatibility issue with a new version.

Hi Gimbatul

Thanks for the info - I've tried to reproduce the situation on a Win10 machine with Reaper.
An Orbit instance uses about 3-4% CPU, in the windows task manager though, I do see a higher load of the DAW -- and I also saw the Windows Defender and its real-time malware scanner loading the system quite a bit.

On my machine, disabling Windows Defender's real-time scanners (via Group Policy Editor...) actually helped with this and brought the CPU usage to normal levels. It is probably enough to add the plugin and/or DAW as an exclusion for Windows Defender..
Obviously, disabling Defender is not a solution (!) - but if you want to try if at least there's the same behaviour in your case, go ahead and do this as a quick test (disable your internet connection for this test if you want to play it safer).

Lorenz

Hi Lozernz, thanks for the reply. I've tried disabling Defender both in GPE and Windows Settings, same CPU load. Do you have any other ideas?

Hi Gimbatul

Which project sampling rate are you using? 48k?
I'll have to discuss this with a colleague who has more specific knowledge about this, but he has OOO until next week.

I'll get back to you ASAP

Mostly I'm using 48k, but I just tried every other sample rate (44.1 - 192), it's still the same.

Hey Gimbatul,

we have a hard time reproducing the issue. Could you try uninstalling the plugin and installing the latest version from the website, again? We had a similar issue that was resolved with the latest update.

Also, would you have access to another PC to try, so we can make sure it's not something hardware related?

Thanks so much
Johannes

Hi Johannes, it's a strange floating bug, I had it previously and it just resolved at some point (don't know what happened, both Studio One and Windows were updated). I've tried reinstalling many times, reinstalling Windows .NET and other stuff, just did it again, it doesn't help. I don't think I'll be able to reproduce it easily, I had a couple of projects (quite large ones, 100-150 tracks) and it just appeared when I opened a project at some point (I delete projects cache when I'm finished, I needed to make another revision, maybe it's related). Same as the previous time. It all happened in Studio One 4+. Now every instance is bugged. I'll try installing S1 and Orbit on the other PC later. Thank you, good luck)
Last edited by Gimbatul on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, Ambeo spikes my CPU into overdrive! :scared: It goes to 100% CPU as soon as I load it. Ugh.

Sorry for the delay. I've deleted AppData folder and every registry line with Ambeo in it. Now it's fine. Strange peaks sometimes though. Automatization is still bugged.

Could you please fix at least this stuff by deleting plugin completely with uninstall?

Return to “Sennheiser AMBEO”