ARM cpu support

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does the u-he plugins work on ARM cpus such as the raspberry pi etc.

No, they'd have to offer specific builds.
Also, probably any given U-he synth would make the Pi puke. Yet, with the Pi4 shows a future where enough power will come.
I personally think it'd be super! I'd have uses for it.

A year and a half later but still a relevant topic. Thank you. I was pondering Hive on a pi4 today, but I guess that is too much to ask of the little guy.

Kind of surprised no one has created a PC in a controller keyboard for VSTi's.

I suspect the best candidate to do just that is to buy a Mac Mini M1 and cannibalize that. It's got almost nothing inside it and thus would have a really small footprint. It's also safe to completely ditch the cooling fan, further reducing the size of the thing.

I know nothing about OS X so I don't know how difficult it would be to setup a system where it boots into some kind of DAW which is ready to be played immediately or some kind of VSTi Mini-host.. but I'm sure it's possible to do.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

An old i5 mac mini (or really windows puck would be more my speed) might even do. Seemingly. Since I'd just be using the cpu for the single synth. Then maybe a Motu M2 and harvest that (since its bus powered USB). Squeeze it into an old Yamaha or M-Audio controller (they were bulky many years back).

But it would probably cost as much as a dedicated synth by the time it was all done. Also probably pretty heavy. And be an odd amalgamation in design, unless I could find someone to fabricate a new top to the keyboard.

Hopefully as Raspberry Pi grows in processing ability, there will be more avenues for this in a cleaner setup!

The older mac minis have much larger components inside the case and get much hotter. That's why the new one would be perfect for modding. It's so tiny! The Mac Mini case is almost empty inside.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “u-he Linux support”