Linux 'most' stable versions ?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have all u-he Linux products, so that's a few hundred dollars. Seeing that I bought nearly all of them including Dark Zebra, u-he gave me the last one I did not get: Filterscape. That was very cool for them to do so.

I can very well take the plug off the internet and continue making music with the equipment and plugins that I have for years and years. No need for updates. All the tools are there, I do not really want more as far as creative output is concerned. I just need to learn more about them, learn more about the craft.

Doing so would also mean to not get any other 3rd party soundsets as they will be made using features I do not have. Which also can be fine since I have a good palette and I can tweak/create.

But there's still a part of me who would like to use the updated Bazille when it will come out with new features. Who would like to get a Dark Zebra 3. Even if strictly from a creative point of view there's no need. I just have to open my ears and discover and learn what I can do with what I have.

Nevertheless, I do not want to 'try' interim releases, with potential problems they can bring to the setup I use, however good they might be. I remember that Repro-5 was running good, then I tried a new release and had to revert back for some serious problem. I do not want to install updates with a potential re-install as a result, with whatever this may include for saved presets, favorites, etc.

Some time ago I asked for a Linux subforum here and Urs almost seemed in favor in a comment, then it was dropped.

As such my question, somewhat reformulated, remains: is u-he going to post new Linux versions at some point in time on their web site to replace the ones they do offer right now ? If and when doing so, will they announce it somehow outside of reddit ?

Cheers.

The VST3 versions of the plugins do not work very well because they forget the loaded patch when I close the plugin and reopen it again.

But I think this is mentioned somewhere by Abique.

I think the reddit move may also be about removing aspects of killjoy that is inevitable here. Again, realistic expectations, etc. Keeping the buzz going is important and KVR has got that going for U-he. Yet, the Linux builds are a bit premature yet to join the party. So ... makes sense to me if this was the intention.

Aside from a few gui quirks in new products and major updates,
which Abique quickly fixed, (with input from the now closed topic)
the linux builds are ready for any party.
If someone sucks at configuring linux, mileage may vary,
as is the case with any OS used for audio production.

Considering that demand for vst plugins in general, meant that
age-old linux garbawwwwggge coding practices were uncovered
and dealt with, Abiques (nearly) singlehanded ports are both amazing,
and a pleasure to use.
Cheers

I use all u-he native Linux plugins since 2.5 years no problems whatsoever at all. All plugins are just about the original version as when I bought them (there might have been an update after I bought them, do not know so I leave some space - in any case that's at least 2 years), except for the Repros of course. Same applies for the Linux freebies.

Since they run so well I hesitate to replace any with a build-du-jour.

Hence my original question. Any u-he staff has a say to this ?

Cheers.

I don't think they like replying to these queries, because it's a buzzkill. Hah! :lol: Seriously though ... what are they going to say? They don't have a full time Linux guy; they're busy enough with other developments. They'll get around to the newer Linux builds when it's convenient. That's the boat us Linux guys are in--and it isn't just this company, it's so many of them who I've spoken to throughout the years.

Right. And, promoting a build to the website would likely mean promoting the best "build-du-jour" build which already exists, so you're really just asking for U-he to officially promote one of these builds that you otherwise don't want until they do this.
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

So far I assumed that there's a development gate. Because there was a goal at the beginning. When development and moreover 'QA' testing reaches the gate set by the goal definition, then the product passes through the gate. There will be further developments and bug fixes, but the gate was reached.

The Linux versions are u-he products as are the other versions. If not, please remove them from the web site and keep them underground. But then it's hard to pay for underground products, so they are on the web site if only for $10,000 in total revenues (just throwing a number reflecting very low outcome with these builds - like 15 people bought everything Linux). It would make sense to update the web site versions when development reaches a gate, don't you think so ?

You make good points, mevla, as you usually do.
The effect is, I go here: http://www.u-he.com/downloads/linux/beta/ --not the main website for anything really. Sooo, is that a good thing? :roll:

Good thing--I hope--is we're talking about stuff and perhaps it amounts to something.
Last edited by lunardigs on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wasn't aware of that 'dark' side of the u-he web site. It seems to have been created earlier this April. But then, 4408 which is the version of most u-he plugins I have is not in there. Did it went through the gate and up to the other side ?

No, none of these crossed the "gate," if you're talking about the download links on the public-facing U-he site. From what I remember, 4408 was the initially released builds, and this part of the site came later. First it was the builds on the public site, then it was these.

That URL is shortened from the links provided for the interim builds that we've been talking about, and you can browse all builds from there. Some of those builds are posted on the sub-reddit, and my first post on this thread listed the build numbers for each plugin that have been rock-solid for me (aside from the wonky Bazille and ACE builds).
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

It would be nice is each release directory had a short text about the changes. Or much better one changes file in the main directory for all versions.

The list starts at version 2823 and currently ends at 7669 (August 5th 2018). And 4408 is not in there.

Start your search here: https://u-he.com/downloads/linux/

Although 4408 was a public beta version, it was still something that was released, so it's in the release folder.

The links in the first post of the Linux thread still work because A) the CDN still has the files buffered, and B) there's a script in place that re-routes every call to the old (and no longer existing) "penguin" folder to the newer "linux" folder. So even if the CDN is flushed, those links will continue to work.

The creation or change date of the files in those folders will only go back to April of this year, since that was when we prepared for the new website and I started moving old folders out of the way, introducing new folders, copying back files bit by bit, creating redirects to avoid broken links and all that. So although it might say 2018 there, the early revisions are actually still from 2014.

But since Alexandre handles Linux builds pretty autonomously, I don't know how "reliably recent" the builds in there are.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

Hello Rob,

Assuming perhaps a better communication between u-he and Alex, is it conceivable to eventually (as in: planning for) have a release of (most, all) Linux builds that could be considered like 4408 was and consequently posted to the official section of the u-he web site like 4408 is today ?

mevla wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:17 pm Hello Rob,

Assuming perhaps a better communication between u-he and Alex, is it conceivable to eventually (as in: planning for) have a release of (most, all) Linux builds that could be considered like 4408 was and consequently posted to the official section of the u-he web site like 4408 is today ?
Rob, kindly, I'm interested to hear the answer to this as well.

Btw, concerning Hive, I'm quite eager to have a version which does not lock the preset database such that multiple instances cannot access it.

Return to “u-he Linux support”