Currently, the most stable VST

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just switched over to a Linux only setup. Luckily, I have a license for Renoise so I"m not w/o a nice DAW to learn whenever I get some free time....

I installed Bazille but it gave me issues...I then installed Zebra and it works (at least so far) flawlessly. Is there a u-he Linux VST that is the most stable? One that gives people the least amount of headaches? I'm guessing Zebra but figured I'd ask as I really don't want to install all of them to see. :)

Super happy to have u-he on Linux. It's really the only VST's I need.

Hi swe7...
Actually none of U-he plugins is giving me headache... I'm on Ubuntustudio 19.04 with Bitwig and Harrison MixBus32C and I own Hive, Hive2, Diva, Zebra2, TheDarkZebra, Repro-1, Repro-5, Presswerk, Uhbik (new entry), Satin, ColourCopy...

Easiest might be Hive2 as synth and Uhbik as effect, I find... Hive2 is really a little easy monster...
You might also give a try to Podolski and TripleCheese.

I should try out Bitwig as Zebra is giving me all kinds of trouble with Renoise but honestly I think it might be more Renoise than anything else. It'll be interesting to see once Bitwig is installed how stable Zebra is. In fact, I'm going to try that now. Thanks!

Ok! I can confirm. u-he Zebra demo on Bitwig 3.0 runs GREAT on Linux. Looks like I'll be using Bitwig a lot more in the near future. :)

Happy if I have been of any help! Again, I can't push Hive2 more than this... You definitely should have it to complement Zebra2... Free the bees in you! ;.D

Fabrizio...

Ops... I forgot that if you *do* make electronic music, you should also absobloodylutely add Repro-1, too...

Fabrizio

There is a linux Reaper, and the U-he collection
works fine in Reaper. It can use jackd midi,
with qjackctl patchbay, by way of command:

a2jmidid -d default

The middle of three tabs in qjackctl is
for jackd midi.

A nice Linux Reaper forum:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Cheers

any of u-he's plugins I try work on Linux -- and they work on all daw/s that I try them so its fair to say they can be considered stable.

A couple of points,

1-> u-he.com's product front-cover pages are actually out-of-date for the latest available builds, which someone told me you can find over here https://www.u-he.com/downloads/linux/beta/8272/

2-> Some daws on linux(opensource) crash when your audio/midi settings are not set up and you try to use a synth..

3-> do not use the midi settings **within the u-he plugins** on Linux --- those do not work -- You should already be using the DAW to setting up midi mapping for the particular track you are using that synth.

4->Importantly you should be using your home folder on a linux-compatible filesystem that supports symlinks. When you install u-he plugins symlinks are created under ~/.vst/u-he -- so if you are somehow using a FAT filesystem then the plugin will not install correctly.

hmm what else I may be missing.. can't think of any more.. u-he plugins are lovely, they're one of the best synths I've seen that work flawless for install and usability. I can't see how one could even be failing and others not as they all just work without issue imho..

I've tried all of them, and they're all equally stable(none of them crash) -- most stable plugins I've seen on Linux -- as long as you do not touch the hard-to-reach MIDI mappings within the u-he plugins you should be fine -- you are already supposed to be using the DAW for that..

Here the plugins are stable enough that I purchased a couple of them. That particular area of the u-he plugins on Linux may be resolved by now, but I don't think anybody uses that area of the configuration anyways.

..That still didn't stop me from purchasing a couple of their plugins as they are continuously improving in providing newer features.. I went from Hive1 to Hive2 with a decent pricing discount..

If there's a bug/issue do report it and explain in detail what the issue is, so that it helps if there is actually a problem with the plugin itself. (some Daw's fail just by not having proper audio setup -- this is not the fault of the plugin)

hope this helps

mwstl wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:31 am 1-> u-he.com's product front-cover pages are actually out-of-date for the latest available builds, which someone told me you can find over here https://www.u-he.com/downloads/linux/beta/8272/
Beta versions != release versions.

We link to release versions for productive use on our product pages, these versions are considered stable and "safe" in regard to the testedness of features. But these stable versions are not always the very latest builds, that is true.

This is the case because new features and improvements are first implemented and tested in beta versions, and only when we consider them "stable and safe" will they flow into the release versions intended for productive use.

Beta versions are experimental and can be full of undiscovered bugs, so we don't recommend using them on a productive system, unless they come with a feature or a bug fix that you definitely need.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

The Uhbiks testing versions seem to work fine in wine,
the actual linux builds should be easy money compared to
complex gui's like Hive 2 and Bazille. The audio parts
are always right on the money :hyper:

Well,
now... I have almost all u-he plugins but I use only linux...
There are more advanced versions for windows out since many weeks and now even Uhbik.
I know you all are very busy and Abique is an external resource and all the rest...
But when is a Linux update for the latest version of your software foreseen?
I don't want to smash your ... ehm... pumpkins... just in the need of feeling like you are aware that not all the Linux users are also windows or mac users.
I am not, just to mention one.
Yes, I know you do care... just in the need for a pat on the head.
Best regards,
Fabrizio

fsciarra62 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:58 am I know you all are very busy and Abique is an external resource and all the rest...
But when is a Linux update for the latest version of your software foreseen?

Yes, I know you do care... just in the need for a pat on the head.
Can't really say anything about "when", but Alex has spent the last weekend on implementing things to make the Linux builds run again.
So, yup, there is progress. Hope that counts as a mild pat on the head. :)

Well... I feel a bit better and warmer. now I will start licking my paws and ears.
In the mean time, I urge to ask if is something foreseen for Black Friday...
You never know... I'm still missing Bazille and ACE...
I know that in general U-He doesn't lower the price for synths and effects, except in very very special occasion, like the last NI special sale.
And a last thing...
Looks to me that my Uhbik effects, on Bitwig / Linux, stop working with an orrible digital noise if it's loaded to distortion. I have to unload and reload the effect... Is this a known issue?

Fabrizio

Not sure what you mean by 'loaded to distortion'. Almost all u-he plugins (except the latest delay and reverb which I did not get yet) are working fine in Bitwig (many versions, current I use is 2.4.3) and Mixbus32C (many versions, current I use is 5.2) regarding everything and also regarding outputting strange noises: none whatsoever. This on Xubuntu 18.04. Before that was Linux Mint 17 and 18.

Cheers.

fsciarra62 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 am ... I'm still missing Bazille and ACE...
I know that in general U-He doesn't lower the price for synths and effects,
If you're a repeat customer at some shops, and if their tracking
finds you've attempted to kick your spending addiction,
they will sometimes give you a 20% -off coupon to re-addict you.
In the fine print, there is often a list of excluded brands,
and sometimes they forget to put U-he on the list :hyper:

Return to “u-he Linux support”