Dunna Digs into the IK Multimedia Total Studio

Interactive, forum-based, in-depth reviews, tips, tutorials and more.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lurssen Mastering Console

Peter [KVR] wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm There are several mastering plug-ins that use machine learning for assistance. For me they make for great starting points. They can't replace a human, but they can save some time...
I'm not keen on starting points though recognise they can be useful for some.

For me the engagement with the project comes from approaching it from a completely blank slate. Part of my method is to approach each project on it's own merit, and with consideration to related tracks if it's an EP or Album.

However for those starting out or want to 'master' on a budget or otherwise not utilise an external service then I think this would provide value.
High End Mastering
www.highendmastering.com

After many years of professional mastering The Lurssen Team discovered that they tended to use certain chains (configurations of their high end gear) as starting points with specific genres. On average, each genre needed the same gear hooked up in the same way as a starting point. The process is not as vague as you seem to be implying. They do however encourage people to try different starting points (presets) to evaluate the results for themselves and work from there.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Every parameter has a default setting, whether it is chosen with intent or not. I don't see the harm in preset starting points for frequencies, timing etc. as long as the result is neutral (i.e. eq gains at zero, comp thresholds at max...). What does seem like madness is saying "I always need a 6dB treble boost for rock music".

Who said that?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Nobody in this thread, thankfully. Lots of equalizers do seem to come with non-neutral "mastering" presets; I wonder how people use those.

I own several mastering plugins and this one always gets the nicest sounds/results. It's automation feature really stands it apart from the others. The push feature to increase or decrease energy in parts really helps to brings songs alive. This is not an A.I plugin, you still have to get in there and work it. I just wish I bought this one first over my other mastering plugins.

Hey again everyone! I came back to see how the conversation was going abut Lurssen and realized that for some reason, part 2 of the video didn't get posted yet. So here it is! I talk a bit in this one about the different ways that you can use the Lurssen Mastering Console, including in my car with the iphone app! It's a nice little touch to be able to make tweaks between different spaces without having to make notes and pull the session back up again in the studio. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/BYBcTXpW_-Y

There seems to be a lot of back and forth about using Lurssen as a starting point and how much control you have after that. I mentioned in my first post that I liked some of the limitation inherent in the way that the plugin is set up... however, there is still plenty of control to be had, and lots of different presets that change the chain and the "gear" that you're running your signal through. Also, I found myself incorporating this chain with other plugins as well if I wanted a little bit more control going into or coming out of the preset chains. So the limitations aren't extreme by any means, but I find that sometimes if I have all the options in the world, it makes it so much harder to choose. Having a "menu" in front of me makes it easier to get where I need to be and the results have been great!

About Modo Bass: Apart from the selection of basses, what is setting apart Modo bass from the basses one does have in Sample Tank 3 ?

Cheers.

mevla wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:15 pm About Modo Bass: Apart from the selection of basses, what is setting apart Modo bass from the basses one does have in Sample Tank 3 ?

Cheers.
MODO Bass is a completely different tool than SampleTank 3. While each are both great tools for music making, one big thing sets them apart, MODO Bass is a physically modeled virtual instrument, and SampleTank 3 is a sample-based virtual instrument. This allows for MODO Bass to offer a lot more control, realism, and versatility in sound without a huge sample library.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Ryan_IK wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:52 pm MODO Bass is a completely different tool than SampleTank 3. While each are both great tools for music making, one big thing sets them apart, MODO Bass is a physically modeled virtual instrument, and SampleTank 3 is a sample-based virtual instrument. This allows for MODO Bass to offer a lot more control, realism, and versatility in sound without a huge sample library.
Thanks for the quick summary ! 'Sounds' interesting !

Cheers.

I've been looking for something like MODO Bass for ages, because no bass library has really been able to do it based on their demos - I've avoided them entirely. I'm not sure what it is about bass that makes it so hard in particular to capture as a library, but alas, my experiences with bass libraries has been mediocre. This time around we get a physically modeled bass that works like a dream - it's extremely easy to program and create basslines that sound authentic with it. Haven't had machinegunning effect either (which usually was the biggest problem with bass libraries for me). And the fact that all this comes in a very small (filesize-wise) package just goes to show how amazing physically modeled stuff is and I'm very excited for further applications of it.

I am hoping in future that we will get to see MODO Guitar as well. Once that comes out, I'll be essentially living my dream because it'll enable me to do so many things. I know that we already have good guitar libraries which probably allow quite some people to do what they want, but these libraries all suffer from one grave issue (for me personally): they don't perform so great with extremely low velocities compared to a real guitar, as it seems they never were intended to be used in such a way. Which is why I have to always ask a real guitarist to do what I want.

It seems to be a powerfull plugin but it's expessive in term of cpu usage I guess, I prefer plugins with cheap interface like spire and serum, it much better for my computer. But thanks for sharing your experience of professional engineer and musician it's really cool!

I love IK, but the CPU hit is tough to deal with

Return to “KVR Experts”