Modelonia and pitch bend

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just tried the demo of Modelonia, and as I want to play it expressively with my LinnStrument the first test is Pitch Bend. I could live with only 12 semi tones, but the bend isn't pitch linear! It does arrive at the correct distance for the octave, but all other pitches are somehow off.
As you worked on Respiro, you probably know what might be wrong, and of course I want Modelonia to support MPE in the future...

You are right Tj, Modelonia needs a major upgrade for pitchbend and legato. I want to do that but I cannot promise anything.

I really like the sound of Modelonia, but when I set the pitch bend to 12 and my Seaboard Rise 2's pitch bend to 12 in single channel mode it's bending significantly more than it should. It seems to work for most notes if I set Modelonia's pitch bend to 9 and leave the Rise 2 at 12, or if I put Modelonia pb at 3 and Rise 2 pb at 3.

I like the sound of the wind/brass in this much more than SWAM and Respiro---I'd say it's easily my favorite physically modeled wind/brass in terms of sound---but the pitch bend issue might disqualify it for my playing style.

Also, I'd really love it if it were possible to automate changes in physical parameters that couldn't ordinarily be changed, like the size of the resonator changing dramatically over the course of a sustaining... maybe with an lfo or mapped to Pressure/aftertouch.

Ou_Tis wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:00 pm I really like the sound of Modelonia, but when I set the pitch bend to 12 and my Seaboard Rise 2's pitch bend to 12 in single channel mode it's bending significantly more than it should. It seems to work for most notes if I set Modelonia's pitch bend to 9 and leave the Rise 2 at 12, or if I put Modelonia pb at 3 and Rise 2 pb at 3.

I like the sound of the wind/brass in this much more than SWAM and Respiro---I'd say it's easily my favorite physically modeled wind/brass in terms of sound---but the pitch bend issue might disqualify it for my playing style.
Thanks for the feedback, I don't have Seaboard to try that but I will check whether there are errors in pitchbend scaling in Modelonia. Which host are you using for Modelonia?

liqih wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:30 pm
Ou_Tis wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:00 pm I really like the sound of Modelonia, but when I set the pitch bend to 12 and my Seaboard Rise 2's pitch bend to 12 in single channel mode it's bending significantly more than it should. It seems to work for most notes if I set Modelonia's pitch bend to 9 and leave the Rise 2 at 12, or if I put Modelonia pb at 3 and Rise 2 pb at 3.

Thanks for the feedback, I don't have Seaboard to try that but I will check whether there are errors in pitchbend scaling in Modelonia. Which host are you using for Modelonia?
I tested it in Ableton 11, Bitwig 4.4.1, and Cubase 12, with the Rise 2 in single channel mode and pitchbend set to the same as Modelonia.

It also happens on playback of pitchbend automation (tested in Ableton).

Thank you, so I should see that in Ableton Live, you're using Window or Mac? ( I don't think that matters, but I can do more quickly a Windows update)

liqih wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:30 am Thank you, so I should see that in Ableton Live, you're using Window or Mac? ( I don't think that matters, but I can do more quickly a Windows update)
Windows 11.

Ou_Tis wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:29 pm
liqih wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:30 am Thank you, so I should see that in Ableton Live, you're using Window or Mac? ( I don't think that matters, but I can do more quickly a Windows update)
Windows 11.
Very good, I'll be working on a Modelonia VST2 update for Windows next week

Hello, I made a new build of Modelonia VST2 and set the PB range at 12,
using Ableton Live PB modulation the value 1005 gives a tone up,
[so if I play C and Ableton PB is at 1005 Modelonia plays the D note].
The full range in Live modulation is +8191, -8282.
Correctly if I play C and Ableton PB is at 8191 Modelonia plays the C one octave up, as it should.
Can you check, recording the pitch message from the Seaboard, which value you get
for a tone up?
Ou_Tis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:57 pm
liqih wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:30 pm

I tested it in Ableton 11, Bitwig 4.4.1, and Cubase 12, with the Rise 2 in single channel mode and pitchbend set to the same as Modelonia.

It also happens on playback of pitchbend automation (tested in Ableton).

Or you could record a short midi clip with Seaboard pitch bending, playing a synth that behaves as you need and then you will send me both the midi file of the clip and the audio rendering of the same clip, plus the info of what pitch bend range you set in the synth. So I could compare and match.

If I can recall how to get into my email I used to register Modelonia I'll try it with a few MPE controllers

Return to “NUSofting”