Sinnah preset management

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Luigi,

think I post it here cause maybe interesting for someone else. Just thinking about maybe give it a try for the contest but as I (still) preset-depending I thought I give the new VPG preset generator which now works in 64 bit a try to get some starting points. Problem: it produces (logigal cause it should work on a lot of VST and thats the only standard so far) standard fxb banks but I could not find a way to open these in Sinaah or in the daw (mulab). One single preset file could be opened with mulab but that dont make sense in this case of trying out randomly produced presets. Any idea ?

By the way, while looking at the planned featrues I was very happy to see the preset morphing feature mentioned I already hoped for in modelonia. So maybe if it could be done for Sinnah someday....

So far really interesting sounds I must say, great work again :D

tatanka wrote:Hi Luigi,

think I post it here cause maybe interesting for someone else. Just thinking about maybe give it a try for the contest but as I (still) preset-depending I thought I give the new VPG preset generator which now works in 64 bit a try to get some starting points. Problem: it produces (logigal cause it should work on a lot of VST and thats the only standard so far) standard fxb banks but I could not find a way to open these in Sinaah or in the daw (mulab). One single preset file could be opened with mulab but that dont make sense in this case of trying out randomly produced presets. Any idea ?
I've not heard of the VPG preset generator before you mentioned it here. I'm surprised it actually works at all because I gather most plugins these days use the FXB/FXP chunk format, which allows the plugin to save arbitrary data in the file. There's no way some third party application can know the format of data in the chunk.

The reason it works for an FXP file in Sinnah is basically a fluke: in Sinnah's new framework code I left in some backwards compatibility code that reads in an old-style "array of floating point parameters" chunk for use by another plugin. I didn't expect anybody to have such an FXP file for Sinnah, let alone an FXB file. Anyway, I don't think I needed that backwards compatibility code for FXB files, so I never wrote it.

As far as I'm aware, the FXB and FXP formats are intended for plugins to save their own state as they see fit, not as some input format for other tools. So, just to be clear, of course Sinnah can load (via your host) FXB/FXP files it saved (via your host). It just can't be expected to load FXB files created by some other application that attempts to guess Sinnah's custom format.

I'm sure VPG works fine for plugins using a fairly simple FXB format. But judging from the internals of FXB files I've looked at from some other plugins with their own preset managers and preset file formats, I'd expect VPG to fail with those plugins too.

Return to “NUSofting”