Can apShaper work as a clipper?

Official support for: www.apulsoft.ch
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've read the manual but i can't find out if apShaper can function as a clipper. Which would make it very interesting!! I won't be testing the demo anytime soon so i hope to find some experiences here.

Yes it can using the saturation engine. For final clipping it is not ideal as even after clipping some samples might exceed the -1..1 range (because of the gibbs phenomenon). How much depends on how much high frequency content is in the signal. Some very high frequency filtering can counteract this. To get precise results, a meter would need to be inserted afterwards and the output gain would have to be manually adjusted to get the desired maximum values.

Hi Pflugshaupt. thanks for replying so quick. ApShaper's different distortion effects sound very good in the video's. As a fan and owner of both your eq's i got very excited hearing this in action, and at the idea i could use it on a mixbus.
Hopefully i am able to try out the demo soon. Is it possible that you add more modes or 'engines' to apShaper in the future?

Certainly possible.. For clipper use I might add some way to combat those overshoots I mentioned internally. What kind of things would you like to see added?

Very kind of you. Well i really need to spend some time with the demo first. I will post or pm you after that! :)
In the mean time, good luck with the release.

Return to “apulSoft”