Apptrigger is super sensitive

Official support for: www.apulsoft.ch
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use it for my Axis A21 kick pedal. The problem is, I almost can't touch the pedal. The trigger activates even when I touch it with my finger. I tried all kind of settings. Threshold doesn't change anything, it remains super sensitive.

Hi Sulfeet. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with this pedal. Google tells me it's just a drum beater. Or is it a trigger pedal? Does the signal come from the pedal or do you use a microphone of sorts?

Possible reasons for the issue are too much gain on the input, a trigger mic that's incompatible with your sound card or a misunderstanding of the threshold settings in apTrigga3.

To figure out the correct reason, could you tell me more about your setup (Host Application, Sound Card, Microphone/Trigger) and maybe create a screenshot of the issue as it happens.

I use the same pedals as in this movie, with the AppTrigga3 software VST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiTrm5TrGDc

The problem I have is that, no matter how soft are hard the hammer hits the trigger, it produces a sound.
So, when the hammer barely touches the trigger, it produces a sound.

On page 10 of the manual it states:
"Two optional frequency analyzers can be displayed underneath
the filter response curves. One before the input filters
(blue curve) and one after the input filters (red curve). When no filter band is currently selected,
analyzer settings are displayed below the graph. If analyzers are enabled, a double-slider to the
left of the graph allows adjusting the visible analyzer gain range. Note: this will not affect the filter
curves!"

I tried to lower the gain, but that only lowers the OUTPUT(red curve) sound volume.
If I could prevent AppTrigga to produce a sound when the hammer barely touches the trigger, my problem would be solved.

The input filters should not be needed to solve this. The output of the input filter is what goes into detection.. that section exists to tweak an incoming audio signal to get some frequency separation. For this basic problem it's probably best left alone.

My main question still remains: How do you hook up the pedal output to the computer? In the video a trigger module is used, but it is also possible to use some soundcards directly. Does an audio signal or a midi signal go into the computer?

My best guess is that your incoming signal is very loud/possibly distorts and therefore even soft noise triggers. This would need to be adjusted on the soundcard. Or if you use midi (which I don't recommend), the settings of the trigger module might be too sensitive.

I wonder what you see on the righthand side of the detector pane when testing the pedal. What you need to adjust is the lower threshold so the events you don't want to trigger are below the line (-40dB in the picture below). (this is all in the case of using a sound card)

I go with a jack cable from the etriggerKit of the pedal into audio input 10 of the Behringer XR18.
(https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM ... s_M_EN.pdf)
The Behringer is connected buy USB with Logic Pro X on a Mac.
In Logic, I have an audio kick channel that has input 10 from the Behringer.

THAT'S IT DAMNED!!!

"My best guess is that your incoming signal is very loud/possibly distorts and therefore even soft noise triggers. This would need to be adjusted on the soundcard. Or if you use midi (which I don't recommend), the settings of the trigger module might be too sensitive."

I kept looking in the Logic and Aptrigga settings, but it's the gain from the XR18. It's too high.
I did a quick test and that seems the solution.
We have rehearsel this evening so that will be the ultimate test but I have a good feeling about this.
Thank you Pflugshaupt!!
(And if I celebrated too early at least I had a happy feeling for about an hour or 3 :D )

Ah that's good to hear! There might be cases where even the minimum gain setting is too much to capture a trigger signal and in that case additional signal dampening would be needed before the input. Ideally the signal graph in apTrigga3 should never fully reach 0 dB and the transients should look like spikes and not have flat spots on top.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
You have no idea how helpful your seemingly innocent word "soundcard" has been. :-) :-)
Suddenly it all made sense to me.

Return to “apulSoft”