tracks and channels in Ableton

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to send midi from different tracks in Nora to different instruments in Ableton live? Or does every instruments need a separate Nora device in Live? Any workaround if it is not possible right out of the box?

When you internally route (/Monitor) in Live, Live flattens the MIDI stream from channels 1, 2, ... 16 to channel 1 at the 'output' track. Nothing can be done in its current version to prevent this.

However they are few workarounds:

1. If you are on Mac, you can use the Nora AU version. It will create a virtual MIDI device, and you can filter them in live. Cons: You will have some small timing problems.

2. If you are on a PC, you can install some virtual MIDI port and use them. Route Nora to them, then distribute and filter them to the midi tracks. Cons: it may generate some unwanted latency.

3. You can use physical MIDI port too. Cons: you need a cable, and it will have some latency.

4. You can use Max4Live as xbiz details here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6439438. Cons: you need Max4Live.

5. Ask to Ableton that stop to force to convert all midi channels to channel 1 :neutral:

Thanks for your answer, very helpful.

anybody found a working max4live solution with Nora embedded into a max4live sender with corresponding receivers?
My initial post was on the host & application sub-forum, so sorry for re-posting it here, where it belongs:
jeblo05 wrote:unfortunately xbitz' screenshot is gone :(
the codes above describe a different use case. I just want to have a sender (Nora embedded) and a receiver, where I can enable the MIDI channels I want to receive. Obviously the receiver should work with several instances ;)

After 5 hours and countless crashes (both, Live 9.7.1 and Max 7) I gave up.

any help is highly appreciated

Hi, I only see a missing video, everything else is there. Unfortunately I lack from M4L experience to help you more. Maybe someone else reading this? :)

Return to “Squaredheads”