MIDI import to phrases

RELATED
PRODUCTS

dmitriyK wrote:Oh, didnt understand that. That seems not possible in Reaper or Ableton :-)
We are talking in english. If I talk into spanish to you, probabily you don't understand me. Even worse if I keep silence. If two software didn't talk in the same language, that cannot be acomplished. But it's even worse if one of them do not "talk". That's I mean. In the same way the most common way to talk is english, the one in sotware is the "file" language. Example: FL Studio allows drags from its browser to another external third-party windows using this (File drag and drop), so I can play with that in Nora.
dmitriyK wrote:For me Nora is a live (aka realtime) composition tool, which is used to understand in real time how different sequences in various tonalities/scales sound with the existing material. So I need to import a sequence to Nora the best way possible (from rapidcomposer for example, this is why i'm asking for chords to keep), and then I'll press a 5note chord manually (or use one of the many "chorderizers") and listen. Press record if I like what I hear… I can even do keyboard splits to input 3-4note (scale-based) chords from the leftmost octave via chord generator, and input additional non-tonal notes from the remaining keys… Really chord sequences are kept in sequencer only for future reference, the real material is almost always rendered to actual note arpeggios and stuff, tweaked and edited afterwards with CC's or automation curves per clip or whatever.

I can use as many chord generators or as many keyboards I have, so input up to 10note chord is not a problem, and it's not tiresome at all. Everything I suggest — from proper midi import to phrases to one-click pattern creation from selected notes — is practice-based need.
Yes, I understand you. So the thing I was thought have no use here :lol: Anyway, I will continue with my plans to add better conversion of a MIDI file in a Phrase. I'll write my progress here as soon as I start with it

I started with a better midi phrase import. If you want to give me some feedback, now it's the moment! Post here a MIDI, I will transform it and I'll post the screenshot, then we can talk about how nice or wrong it is.

squaredheads wrote:I started with a better midi phrase import. If you want to give me some feedback, now it's the moment! Post here a MIDI, I will transform it and I'll post the screenshot, then we can talk about how nice or wrong it is.
Let's see:
2016-06-13_223820.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just by dragging and drop on the phrase editor, this is how it looks:

Seems very promising! :tu:
here is 6 examples.
6examples.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

They are pretty similar examples, so I only rendered 3 of them. Notice the rhythm is no problem for the new script, only the note pitches. In all of these examples, there are 3 octaves and up to 3 notes per octave:

I'm thinking that if create a popup window where the user selects the MIDI scale, I could create more accurate (in the pitch axis, the time axis is perfect) results - however this mean that you would need to do an extra click (to close the window) when you are simply browsing MIDI files. I listen your ideas, what I want to know is if it's enough for a midi import :wink: .

importing the chord based materials, (in my examples C maj. triads) seems works perfectly
if also works for the 4 note chords like this (without knowing the scale)
that's already enough to me.
importing scale based phrases need more opinions from community IMHO.

Yes, it imports up to 8 note chords (logically ;)) without knowing the scale.

that is works for me too. don't need the scale. :)
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

I am late to the party. Can someone point me to video that shows current method for midi import into Nora?

you got my promise ... when we get the new version instantly :D

I thought we could do it now. I will research.

At its current version (2.56), Nora imports only the rhythm of the MIDI file. You can drop a MIDI File on the phrase editor to do it. Or in the quantizer configuration to generate a new quantizer pattern.

Thanks Juan, I appreciate it.

Drag and drop doesn't work here, but it works when I use the menu.

Return to “Squaredheads”