Basic Features still not present

Official support for: autotheorybymozaic.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

So this is the V2 of Autotheory, and we're still lacking those most basic features :
  • Save presets (not save as, the basic save, like in "overwrite")
  • Undo and History
  • A lock button next to the Steps / Accidental / Octave Rows so that those parameters are kept when switching from one play mode to the the other (relative scale to dynamic scale for instance)
  • A "save as scale" feature based on the accidentals of the current degree that will be listed in the scale selector, thus becoming transposable
  • More than one octave amplitude in the chord editor
Not so basic, but important features in order to deserve the "auto-theory" brand name, the pricing associated with it, and the ilok protection, the 2 computers limits and so on...
  • Modal transposition for each scale system (simple diatonic shifting of current scale, associated with a third drop down menu next to the scale selector)
  • Chord/Scale system (for any given scale degree, associate a different scale from the scale list)
  • a VST.
    ChordScalePlaya (http://www.chordspace.com/Playa/Manual/Midi.htm) which achieve basically the same thing managed to do it. I'm sure you can do it too.

We will definitely take your ideas into account for our next upgrade. It would have been nice to get your feedback for the most recent update, as some of your ideas would have probably been included. It is also important to note however, that maintaining a level of simplicity is very important for our product as there a wide range of experience levels amongst users.

With your "Save presets" point, are you referring to a "Save as Default" feature? That will be in a future update.

We will put Undo and History on the update list.

Getting the step parameters to lock while changing from Chord Tones/Dynamic Scale/Relative Scale would be doable, but when you go into the Absolute and Chromatic mappings it becomes much more complicated with the coding as the Chord Generator changes the chord locations. We will look into this, but I am not optimistic.

If I understand you correctly, I believe that the "Save as Scale" feature you are describing is what we have in our RE version for Reason. While beneficial to those with an established level of theory, we decided to simplify the GUI for the multiplatform version to accommodate a wider range of users.

We will put "more than one octave" in the update list.

Given the uniquely patented elements found within AutoTheory, we believe that the name is absolutely justified. The majority of our feedback reinforces this. We also feel that the pricing is fair in comparison to our competition, who cannot offer the chord editor or dynamic melody lock functions that AutoTheory does. In regards to the security, it is very important to protect your assets when you are running a business. It is a shame that those who operate in an honest way are punished for those who do not, but piracy is a very real threat. As a small start up company, I feel it is fair to protect a product of potential value.

With the modal transposition and chord/scale system ideas, I believe that they would go over the head of many users.

Initially we were intending on making the multiplatform version of AutoTheory as a VST/AU/AAX. During production however, we realized that some DAW environments would not allow for control over multiple instruments with both the Chord Generator and Melody Lock functions simultaneously. In some of the instances where they did, the process was rather convoluted. This led us to change direction with what we were doing. At this point in time, we feel the current setup provides a lot of flexibility for open ended creation once proper presets are created within your DAW.

Thanks for your insights and opinions, they are indeed valued.

Hi
With your "Save presets" point, are you referring to a "Save as Default" feature? That will be in a future update.
No, I just mean "Save", which would overwrite the current preset when you clik on it, as opposed to "save as" which asks you to enter the name of a new preset.
Getting the step parameters to lock while changing from Chord Tones/Dynamic Scale/Relative Scale would be doable, but when you go into the Absolute and Chromatic mappings it becomes much more complicated

You don't have to do it with the chromatic scale and absolute scale, which, by definition, are not relative to anything else than a global key. It's obviously just for the chord tones / Dynamic and Relative scale.
we decided to simplify the GUI for the multiplatform version to accommodate a wider range of users.

I'm obviously not in charge of your marketing but let me think you'll widen your audience by implementing a "save as scale" feature, as well as an "advanced" stock preset library*. I know it sounds like the local bigmouth wiseguy, but maybe it's because I do believe in your product and its opportunities both for the the users and for your company.

One thing I learned : I'm not unique. And I believe you underestimate the potential audience of the kind of profile I fit in; that is, A rather solid theory knowledge but a very poor performer.

For any folk composer wannabe with a degree in musical studies, there are dozens of "broken skilled" ones, who know one thing and not the other, understand complex concepts and lack basic interpretation skills etc.

Look at the number of small midi vst which show some kind of "lock to key" feature, go the forum associated with them, you'll find tons of guys asking for more and more scales, they speak of advanced modes belonging to exotic scales and yet they still need a 'snap to key' crutch ?

Well, you could benefit from those ones 

See ya!

*What would a base stock preset look like in my "perfect Autotheory" dream :
You'll have a tree/sub-tree system with for instance
  • Triadic systems (Major, Harmonic Minor, Double Harmonic Minor, Harmonic Major), then a sub menu for each scale listing the relative modes
  • Melodic systems (melodic minor, melodic major)
  • Jazz or non-heptatonic set (Whole-Tone, Diminished, bebop) -> Which leads to the question : How would you remap a non heptatonic scale without muted keys and note-on/note-off conflicts in case of a repeated note ?
  • Some penta scales

RedChameau wrote:I believe you underestimate the potential audience of the kind of profile I fit in; that is, A rather solid theory knowledge but a very poor performer.
I agree with the original poster. As a customer of Auto Theory, I would like to see future enhancements to the scope of the chord/scale library; it opens up more possibilities and may help to broaden the product's audience (e.g. I can envision the product appealing to students of music composition; many music students play non-keyboard instruments). Perhaps the UI could be modified to support a toggle between two (or more) modes of operation: a Basic mode (to accommodate the original target audience) and an Advanced mode (to accommodate those users who want to work with more complex/sophisticated composition options); an Intermediate mode could be included as a stepping stone between Basic and Advanced modes, if necessary. This method for managing different levels of feature sets can be found in common practice for numerous commercial software applications.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

+1

Return to “Mozaic Beats”