Modified Versions of the Akai MPK261, MPK249 and MPK225 for Modulation Wheel and Sustain Pedal Functionality

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After several months of waiting, I finally applied my Bitwig 2 upgrade today from version 1, and quickly realized the sustain pedal and modulation wheel did not work for my MPK261 after downloading the controller script from the Akai website. Fortunately, my old modified controller scripts for the initial MPK versions still worked fine.

After searching the web for a solution and not promptly finding one available, I decided to put on my software engineering hat and quickly code the solution myself via modifying the "MPK2<25/49/61>.control.js" and "MKP2_common.js" files from the Akai controller script download.

I have worked as a software engineer for many years, and have graduate degrees in both Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence and Computational Theory) and Computer Engineering (Embedded Systems). Therefore, it was not a challenging exercise, but more of an annoyance that Akai or Bitwig have not made the needed corrections after more than three years since the last posted update. With that said, the files are attached for others who are experiencing or will experience the same problem.

I placed the comment "/* New Stuff */" where I have added new code. Essentially, the problem is due to the fact that Akai failed to initialize the upper and lower MIDI control change values, setup User Controls for applicable MIDI control change values and establish MIDI logic for the user controls. I am a huge Akai fan, but the said example demonstrated a very poor effort on their behalf.

Based on your applicable controller you will need the following files in your user controller script folder:

MKP61
MPK261_update.control.js
MPK2_common_update.js

MPK2_PadClipLaunch.js
MPK2_PadInstrument.js
MPK2_PadSceneLaunch.js

MKP249
MPK249_update.control.js
MPK2_common_update.js

MPK2_PadClipLaunch.js
MPK2_PadInstrument.js
MPK2_PadSceneLaunch.js

MKP225
MPK225_update.control.js
MPK2_common_update.js

MPK2_25PadClipLaunch.js
MPK2_PadInstrument.js
MPK2_PadSceneLaunch.js

Please note, that only the italicized files with "_update" have been modified with the additional code. In addition, in order for the sustain pedal to work, I had to change the FootSwitch type on my Akai MPK261 controller from "MIDI CC" to "Sustain".

I hope the modified download controller script is helpful to someone in future.

Note to Bitwig: Please add a controller mapping panel to the DAW. It is ridiculous to expect users to write JavaScript code as a solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Silaris on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Duplicate Post

Worked great for my AKAI MPK249.
THX a lot.
:clap: :oops: :phones: :oops:

Return to “Controller Scripting”