Komplete Kontrol A-Series

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey bitwig people,

I recently was gifted the komplete kontrol a25, as an upgrade from my arturia minilab. I love the keybed on it and the build quality is superb, but i'm finding it's MIDI mode to be a little inflexible right now.

Though I get the expected functionality out of it when I use the KK software, Its not been especially useful for doing much of anything else in bitwig. The transport doesnt work, the knobs don't respond properly (even with using Moss's excellent flexi script to map them all as relative) and of course I can't use the big encoder for much of anything.

I noticed that Moss has a script for the KK S series Mk2 that mimics the functionality they have in Live. I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to adapt that script to work with the a series so I can get some use out of the rest of the controls, or if anyone has had any success scripting up the A series in any other fashion.

tbh, I dont really like having to use the KK software wrapper for everything, as it makes deep editing in tools like reaktor kind of a pain, so I'm hoping I can get more use out of MIDI mode. Otherwise I'll have hope that the store will accept a return.

I appreciate any help you folks can provide! :)

Did you try the moss script? You would have to select it manually...

Yes, i did try, to no avail

Best I could do was get the 8 knobs working with the 8 macros but transport and the big wheel don't seem to output anything a regular Bitwig script can latch onto so no joy there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That script looks to be about as far as I got as well after fiddling around for a while yesterday. Its too bad, as much as I like the feel of the keybed of the A25 its tough to justify keeping it when the Minilab gives me so much more functionality (shoutout to Netsu for the excellent script for that one!)

I think NI will be making available an editor for midi assignments though, they have stated this on the NI forum. Also it's interesting that the setup process in Ableton Live is completely different from the S Series. With the S Series you add the controller as usual in options but do not need to add a midi in and out because it's using OSC to communicate on a deeper level with Live (it also uses OSC in Logic and Bitwig via the MOSS script). However with the A Series you do need to select midi ins and outs so it's possible it is still using midi for communication (which would make sense given there is no benefit for A series users to 'advanced integration' as it has no screens). This suggests to me it may be possible once a midi editor is in place to create scripts that use the transport etc too.

Do you have a link for where they said that on the NI forum? Having an editor that actually works would be a huge help for sure.

Thanks for the link! I guess now the question for me is whether i should keep the board and wait for the updates or sell the hardware... :roll:

Return to “Controller Scripting”