Novation SL Mk3 - how accessible is it for scripting?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,
just saw the Novation SL Mk3. Looks like it would be almost perfect to use together with Bitwig Studio:
https://novationmusic.com/keys/sl-mkiii

It's only the question how accessible the hardware is for scripting. I mean, if the screens, light guides and RGB pad and button colors all would be accessible, it could be an awesome controller. With the USB plus graphics API introduces in BwS 2.4 it could be possible.
But of course I have no information about how open Novation is about the USB communication.
I mean, @Moss: you already have some experience also with the USB and graphics API concerning the NI and push hardware: do you think it would be easy to hack? Or should someone ask Novation to provide the information?

No idea.
It depends if these functions are available from the outside. With NI they are (but they don't tell you how) since their devices are completely dumb and all the software is running on the computer.
With Novation I guess all the logic is in the device, so the displays and light guide might not even be accessible via midi/USB. But who knows. At least what they did with Ableton should be easy to do with Bitwig as well.

moss wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 amAt least what they did with Ableton should be easy to do with Bitwig as well.
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I wrote them (Novation) a support message. Let's wait what they have to say...
Especially if the displays + lightguide was accessible via scripting it could be a very cool Bitwig studio controller.

Have you received reply from Novation. That thing needs a Bitwig script . . .

kpv wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:42 pm Have you received reply from Novation. That thing needs a Bitwig script . . .
Yes, I got an answer. The support said, that there is no specific integration with Bitwig. And it didn't sound like it is planned. For other DAWs than Ableton they just offer simple HUI support.
The Bitwig controller script support of other Novation products is probably done by Bitwig.

Maybe the market is still too small for them to do proper integration for Bitwig Studio by themselves.

At least sending them a request mail doesn't harm anybody ;)

Not being a Novation user, I still have no clue whether Novation does share every information about detailed API specifiactions of their products, especially the SL Mk3.

Thx for the reply.

:cry:

I was just looking into this controller and it looks awesome... kinda like my perfect ideal for a keyboard controller... I think ti could be possible to have ableton running and inspect what kind of information is being sent to the controller and try to reverse engineer the displays to make it work

I just received one of these and it’s indeed a really nice controller with a great feeling keybed.

I’ve also contacted Novation to ask about Bitwig integration.

tvdv wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:54 pm I just received one of these and it’s indeed a really nice controller with a great feeling keybed.

I’ve also contacted Novation to ask about Bitwig integration.

Did they tell you the same thing? Otherwise, how are you using Bitwig with this new thing?

Has anybody successfully integrated the Novation SL MK3 with Bitwig yet?

I bought a Keylab MK2 61 last week after it said on the Arturia website that its integrated with Bitwig, well, it isnt and im f**king livid that yet again ANOTHER expensive midi controller has about 20% of the functionality promised.

Before I send the Keylab back i'd like to know what I can replace it with, preferably something that actually works as advertised and has full functionality.

Seriously, how difficult is it for BITWIG/Controller manufacturer to create something that actually works plug and play, it works for 8 other DAWs, why not BITWIG. If i buy a car I dont want to have to start tuning the engine myself, I like most people, just want it to work out of the box. Seriously had enough of this. When you contact the manufacturers also they dont really seem too arsed which is pathetic, theyre perfectly happy to take your money though!

Apologies for the toxic rant, ive wasted soooo much time (that I dont have) in the past trying to fudge MIDI controllers to work with BITWIG, amongst others ive tried Moss' flexi scripts also and though theyre brilliant not everything works properly or consistently and really, if you pay £400 for something should you really be expected to find ways to make it work?

grrrrr

Because Bitwig is not popular enough to be taken seriously by the controller manufacturers. They go after the popular DAWs first, where the majority of potential users/buyers of their midi controllers are. Sadly, Bitwig is not a priority and right now is an underdog.
Regarding Novation SL MK3, it is mostly aimed at hardware users, with it's CV, gate, etc. Wasted money for "in the box" only users IMO. A cheaper version without the HW stuff would be interesting with Bitwig support of course.
Last edited by anoise on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

twitchy_one wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:54 pm Did they tell you the same thing?
“Thank you for your request. I will be sending this over as a feature request to our development team.”
twitchy_one wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:54 pm Otherwise, how are you using Bitwig with this new thing?
I tried getting MCU to work in InControl mode, both with the build-in script and Moss’s one, but had no luck. I didn’t spent too much time on it since I’m not that interested in MCU-style usage.

I am now using the SL MkIII in regular mode with a simple script to map the control knobs to the macro controls in BitWig and anything else user-mappable.

Would love to see full integration on the same level as what Novation has done for Live, but am still happy with the controller otherwise.

I knew what was and what wasn’t supported when I made this purchase, so can’t really complain. :)

tvdv wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:30 pm I tried getting MCU to work in InControl mode, both with the build-in script and Moss’s one, but had no luck. I didn’t spent too much time on it since I’m not that interested in MCU-style usage.
And what was the problem?

moss wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:16 am And what was the problem?
I honestly have no idea. In the SL MkIII manual they state:

“After hitting InControl, the SL MkIII automatically switches to HUI View as soon as it detects a Heartbeat message (sent by a DAW). If the SL MkIII does not receive a heartbeat message for over three seconds, it automatically switches back to InControl mode.”

Because nothing happens, I am assuming the MkIII never switches to “HUI View” because it doesn’t get or because it doesn’t recognize the Heartbeat messages and therefore stays in the “InControl mode” used for the Ableton Live integration.

Let me know in case you’d like me to try anything for you.

tvdv wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:49 am “After hitting InControl, the SL MkIII automatically switches to HUI View as soon as it detects a Heartbeat message (sent by a DAW). If the SL MkIII does not receive a heartbeat message for over three seconds, it automatically switches back to InControl mode.”
The explanation is very simple: HUI is not MCU.

These are 2 different protocols, which both are developed by Mackie. It is pretty surprising that Novation decided to go for HUI since this is a more limited protocol than MCU and I cannot think of a device besides the original HUI controller which supports it.

Return to “Controller Scripting”