DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:22 pm A general question, as I connect multiple controllers via a Midi merge box to the same input. Can I create multiple Flexis and are the Midi Messages then filtered out from being passed to the track? (I failed with my own script I made for my MixTAB, the cc 7 is still sent to the device...: - (
In general yes, but it depends on the driver of your device if it can be opened multiple times. The data should be the same on both instances, so you need to filter the data manually (in the latest release of DrivenByMoss you can block MIDI CC).

It seems my own javascript based script blocks the flexi. Flexi does not react if my script is connected...

moss wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:17 pm
sukebe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:06 am Is there something in your way, bitwig-wise, that is keeping you from adding the option to start recording into an empty clip as opposed to the Bitwig timeline?
I've seen someone ask if it's possible, and it wasn't.
If it's bitwig, do you think if enough people asked, they'd open the door that's blocking you from implementing this?
No, there is no problem API wise. Where ànd with which extension/controller are you missing that feature?
working just with the push2 controller:
With Session pressed, I can start recording a clip and it immediately starts playing back(I've set the post recording option to play recorded. However, and maybe it's 'me', but pressing Note right after pressing a pad (clip) to record isn't the easiest; perhaps I need to set preroll to 8 bars.
So, I was wondering if there is a way start recording into a clip (let's say, the first open one) while in Note mode? I have tried using the post recording option to record next free slot, so I thought it might be possible to, upon selecting record the next empty slot would be recorded into.

Thanks so much for your input and Time!

Hi Moss,

Small Push2 issue: For about a month I've been trying to use the Ribbon configured to CC1 (Mod Wheel), so that I can take advantage of mod wheel control across various 3rd party VST synths.

However, the ribbon has a strange problem in the lower 4th of its range. Moving my finger up and down at normal speeds, the lights on the ribbon will track my finger fairly well in the upper half of the ribbon, but the tracking lags behind my finger in a 'sticky/laggy' way down in the bottom third of the ribbon. Especially across the range represented by the bottom 5-6 lights.

In a nutshell, I have to SLOW my finger movement waaaayyyyy down in the bottom area of the ribbon for your script to track the finger movement correctly. If I don't slow my finger movement down, it will often "stick" at somewhere between 4-7 lights by the time my finger hits the bottom of the ribbon. And even if I'm moving my finger VERY slow, I often have trouble getting down to exactly one light--it will usually stick on 2 lights and I have to keep trying a few times to finally get it down to just one light.

I have Ableton Live too, and in 10.0 and 10.1 I see no tracking problems on the ribbon, so I don't think it's a hardware issue with my specific controller?

If you have a Push2, could you check whether you have similar issues when using the CC1 assignment for the ribbon?

sukebe wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:07 pm working just with the push2 controller:
With Session pressed, I can start recording a clip and it immediately starts playing back(I've set the post recording option to play recorded. However, and maybe it's 'me', but pressing Note right after pressing a pad (clip) to record isn't the easiest; perhaps I need to set preroll to 8 bars.
So, I was wondering if there is a way start recording into a clip (let's say, the first open one) while in Note mode? I have tried using the post recording option to record next free slot, so I thought it might be possible to, upon selecting record the next empty slot would be recorded into.
I see what you mean. I do not have a direct solution for you but as a workaround you can try the following:
1) Use the New button instead (I record always like this)
2) Set "Clip Based Looper" as the footswitch command

Yokai wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:26 am If you have a Push2, could you check whether you have similar issues when using the CC1 assignment for the ribbon?
Works fine for me. Maybe there was something changed with Ableton 10 or 10.1?! What firmware version does it show? Mine is 1.0 Build 60

I noticed it on 10.0 first. Only recently upgraded to 10.1. (So i assume any 10.1 related firmware updates have been made already?) Strange. I’ll check the firmware version tonight when I get home.

And yes, I positively remember that Live 10 updated the firmware on the Push2, way back. I didn’t pay close attention when I upgraded to 10.1 this weekend.

If you’re still on Live 9 and have never updated the firmware since that time, this could be a part of the problem?

Hi Moss, checked my firmware on the Push 2. It's 1.0 Build 63. And yeah, CC1 is pretty much unusable in this state. It rarely goes down below 5 dots unless I really mess with it and go slow near the bottom as described above.

If it helps I also find that I have to push the ribbon all the way up top to full lights if I want any hope of getting it down to only one or two dots on the bottom. If I start from only half way up, it will rarely go down lower than 5 dots. But if I push my finger all the way up, and then come down and SLOW down starting at about the mid-point to give the dots some time to "keep tracking" my finger movement, I can usually get it down to at least 2 dots and 1 dot if I'm really really slow and careful near the bottom of its range.

Now that I look at its behavior under "Pitch" control, it's similar. The entire top half of the range works fine, but as I drag down towards the bottom, the light will often "jump" back to center when I get down to about where the 5th or 6th dot normally sits.

Yokai wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 pm Now that I look at its behavior under "Pitch" control, it's similar. The entire top half of the range works fine, but as I drag down towards the bottom, the light will often "jump" back to center when I get down to about where the 5th or 6th dot normally sits.
HI, I updated to Build 63 and also tried with Ableton 10.1 and then back to Bitwig and could not spot any problem. So, it might be something weird with your device.

moss wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm
Yokai wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 pm Now that I look at its behavior under "Pitch" control, it's similar. The entire top half of the range works fine, but as I drag down towards the bottom, the light will often "jump" back to center when I get down to about where the 5th or 6th dot normally sits.
HI, I updated to Build 63 and also tried with Ableton 10.1 and then back to Bitwig and could not spot any problem. So, it might be something weird with your device.
Thanks for checking that, Moss. Sad to think the ribbon controller is borked already after only 2 and a half years. 😔

-deleted, got answer in another thread-

Hi Moss. would it be possible to change the clip start-stop behaviour on push2 to toggle mode (in session view)
Ableton Live offers toggle or gate options.
Maschine Jam toggles start stop per default as a Bitwig controller, althoug bitwig doesn't offer this option.
Best
Frank

gabbamat wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:29 pm Hi Moss. would it be possible to change the clip start-stop behaviour on push2 to toggle mode (in session view)
Ableton Live offers toggle or gate options.
Maschine Jam toggles start stop per default as a Bitwig controller, althoug bitwig doesn't offer this option.
Best
Frank
Will put it on the wishlist.

Hello Moss !
I would like to ask if it would be possible to add one functionality.
For the flexi or the push 2 .
But first i would like to use the flexi with The second port (midi in out 2) of the ableton push 2 but when i use Push4Bitwig it does not let me select the "user" button.Which should let me use the second port ?
Then, i would like to select directly some tracks without having to find them . Just by selecting a pad on the push or lauchpad (one pad for the same track and making custom group of track on pads to go to from one to an other rapidly)
It works for the lauchpad(can't with the push2 as i can't use the second port) but itdoes not scroll directly to the selected track when i select it on a pad (by biding with midi mapping , a pad and a track)....
Contrary to your push4Bitwig.
When i select a track on the push 2 outside of the screen on the computer ,Bitwig scroll directly to it . And i love it !
Thanks for reading.
Have a nice day !

zengel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:24 am But first i would like to use the flexi with The second port (midi in out 2) of the ableton push 2 but when i use Push4Bitwig it does not let me select the "user" button.Which should let me use the second port ?
Then, i would like to select directly some tracks without having to find them . Just by selecting a pad on the push or lauchpad (one pad for the same track and making custom group of track on pads to go to from one to an other rapidly)
It works for the lauchpad(can't with the push2 as i can't use the second port) but itdoes not scroll directly to the selected track when i select it on a pad (by biding with midi mapping , a pad and a track)....
Contrary to your push4Bitwig.
When i select a track on the push 2 outside of the screen on the computer ,Bitwig scroll directly to it . And i love it !
Hi Zengel,
I am not sure if I fully got what you are asking or what your problem is:
1) No, you cannot use multiple scripts with the Push
2) If I got you right you currently tried to map the selection of specific tracks to a pad. Which works but it does not scroll into view. Did I get this right?

Not sure what to suggest for 2), maybe you can write in more detail what your intention is with selecting those specific tracks. Is that for live use or a these tracks of a specific type?!

Return to “Controller Scripting”