DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.0)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Dear Jurgen,

I made a video really in a hurry; the video quality suffers, but I hope it makes the problem clear. I've created a new project with two tracks. First one is audio, second one is midi with instrument, auto-monitoring off, monitoring on, input from launchpad pro. If I select the second track everything works. If I select the first track, pressing notes seems to do something under the hood (round buttons change colour) but no notes are played and no keys are highlighted.

I will link the attachments to gdrive:

Screenshot of tracks setup
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jNCPA ... DW_dRAqB_h

Video
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11wPUG ... e_oUxRInH4

One other question (I've been working on this today): in the Flexi mode, I see channel numbers, but how do I assign a cc: to control the level of an effects track? I know I can just MIDI map but I'm hoping for proper feedback between the controller and the software through the flexi mapping. Apologies for such basic questions.

stamp wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:45 pm Hi moss,

I finally upgraded to version 2 of Bitwig. I'm on Push 1. First thing I tried was longpress on note to change lenght and velocity. Nice! But why does it work on a quarter basis instead of sixteenth? It there a way to change this? Maybe I'm missing something here...
Do you think you can add this functionality also to the drumsequencer and the polysequencer?

Thanks!

Hi,
I've made a Beatstep mapping image for myself but in case anyone would find it useful, here it is: https://nextcloud.hippie.lt/index.php/s/CXxgWdo9JZR2SFw

stamp wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:25 am Hi moss,

I finally upgraded to version 2 of Bitwig. I'm on Push 1. First thing I tried was longpress on note to change lenght and velocity. Nice! But why does it work on a quarter basis instead of sixteenth? It there a way to change this? Maybe I'm missing something here...
Do you think you can add this functionality also to the drumsequencer and the polysequencer?

Thanks!
That's a current limitation of the API. There is no method to move notes.

Hi moss, did you have a chance to check my video? Do you think something can be done to keep the notes from the launchpad "focused" on the instrument track(s) using it as input, even when audio tracks are selected?

jsterne wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:17 pm One other question (I've been working on this today): in the Flexi mode, I see channel numbers, but how do I assign a cc: to control the level of an effects track? I know I can just MIDI map but I'm hoping for proper feedback between the controller and the software through the flexi mapping. Apologies for such basic questions.
There should be a function to toggle between the Audio/Instruments Tracks and the Effect Tracks. Seems I forgot this function. So, gratulations you are the first one who noticed :-)
Will be fixed in the next version.

moss wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:41 pm
jsterne wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:17 pm One other question (I've been working on this today): in the Flexi mode, I see channel numbers, but how do I assign a cc: to control the level of an effects track? I know I can just MIDI map but I'm hoping for proper feedback between the controller and the software through the flexi mapping. Apologies for such basic questions.
There should be a function to toggle between the Audio/Instruments Tracks and the Effect Tracks. Seems I forgot this function. So, gratulations you are the first one who noticed :-)
Will be fixed in the next version.
I'm so proud!

Seriously, thanks for all your great work.

vincenzoml wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:02 pm Hi moss, did you have a chance to check my video? Do you think something can be done to keep the notes from the launchpad "focused" on the instrument track(s) using it as input, even when audio tracks are selected?
I watched it now and what I see is the expected behaviour, since you cannot use a note mode on an audio track. I am not sure what you are after. Simply pin that track on the launchpad and start your clips on one of your other devices (or the other way round).

Hi moss,

I really enjoy your fantastic General Flexi controller, especially with the ROLI Lightpad Block (which I drive with my own Axyz Gems app, see: https://github.com/jorisroling/axyz-gems).

What I do miss is the option to use high-res absolute CC's, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Would it be possible to add that as an option to General Flexi?

Regards,
Joris

joris.roling wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 pm Hi moss,

I really enjoy your fantastic General Flexi controller, especially with the ROLI Lightpad Block (which I drive with my own Axyz Gems app, see: https://github.com/jorisroling/axyz-gems).

What I do miss is the option to use high-res absolute CC's, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Would it be possible to add that as an option to General Flexi?

Regards,
Joris
Wow, I love the Axyz! Had not idea these were around. Thank you!
So, I also didn't know you can use DrivenByMoss with it. How do you set the Lightpad block up to work with the Flexi?

Hi Moss. I understand your replies, but you're overlooking something which is very natural here. I'll try to phrase this as cleary as possible.

I want to send *notes* to instrument tracks. Not the *selected* tracks, but the tracks that have *input* set to the launchpad.

You just suggested pinning. Pinning only works for faders, not for notes. Can you confirm? We have already discussed that, and it seems to me you confirmed this.

Let me rephrase it once again: I want to send notes to instrument tracks even when an audio track is selected, because I want to use the launchpad to send notes to instrument tracks, as I do with other controllers.

So it may very well happen that I select a track (e.g. to edit a clip), but when I do that, I want the launchpad to stay in note mode, or switch to it if necessary, and keep playing, as an instrument.

Is this clear now? Do you think this should not be possible with the launchpad pro?

@killmaster

I've updated the Axyz Gems project (now v1.12) to include the Generic Flexi for use with Axyz Gems. Please add a Generic Flexi Controller (see README), and select the Lightpad BLOCK as MIDI-in and MIDI-out, and import the Axyz Gems.flexi. It will make any devices 8 macro knobs be controlled by Gems 2-5. Now select (or create) a device page for your favourite plugin (say U-he Hive), and your done. Enjoy! 😊

joris.roling wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:51 am @killmaster

I've updated the Axyz Gems project (now v1.12) to include the Generic Flexi for use with Axyz Gems. Please add a Generic Flexi Controller (see README), and select the Lightpad BLOCK as MIDI-in and MIDI-out, and import the Axyz Gems.flexi. It will make any devices 8 macro knobs be controlled by Gems 2-5. Now select (or create) a device page for your favourite plugin (say U-he Hive), and your done. Enjoy! 😊
Thank you. I'm confused how to install it correctly. Yesterday I just copied over the whole folder to the ROLI->Littlefoot folder and that seemed to work. Today, I copied the new script contents into a text file and made it executable and replaced the Axyz Gems.littlefoot file in that folder. But it doesn't seem to work. Still says version 1.11. Exactly what is supposed to exist in that folder please? And does it need to be executable?

@killmaster

I've writen some instructions here: https://github.com/jorisroling/axyz-gems#installation
  • Only the the Axyz Gems.littlefoot should be copied to the ROLI->Littlefoot folder.
  • It does not need to be executable.
  • After installing the script, quit ROLI Dashboard, and restart it again.
It should now show the new version.
Does that work for you?

The Axyz Gems.flexi file can be in the same folder, by can be anywhere really.

Return to “Controller Scripting”