DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.0)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

vincenzoml wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am Hi, the new note repeat mode on the launchpad pro is just amazing. One hidden gem is that aftertouch will change the velocity of the repeated notes (at least that's what seems to me... how is this controlled?).
Yes, that's how it works. There is nothing to configure additionally.
vincenzoml wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am I have a feature request though: in note mode, I need a way to start recording a clip on the fly without removing my two hands from the keyboard[*].
Think e.g. a single button that will launch a new clip (first empty slot available) on the current track. In general in note mode it's uncomfortable to switch to session mode for that.
Not sure if that helps but you can also use New in the Shift mode.
vincenzoml wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am Also: do you think it would be possible to make the track "sticky" i.e. not follow bitwig's selected track, but keep an internal memory in the script and just stay on the track selected via the launchpad in note mode?
Watch my video about using mutliple controllers, to see how that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPjdhBtNNP0

moss wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:13 pm Sorry, absolutely no idea.
I've noticed another weird thing: when I'm hitting pads on my Beatstep, the only input that is active in Bitwig is "Beatstep - Seq. 1", no matter what mode I'm in (and I'm not in the sequencer mode on the BS).

It seems pretty obvious that this is not normal, but could you please confirm that I should receive MIDI notes on "Beatstep - Control" instead?

Thanks in advance

I finally got it working: the problem was that my MIDI global channel was set to 1 instead of 3...
I was sure that I read somewhere that it should be set to 1. Is there somewhere where this is indicated? Loading the provided template didn't set the MIDI global channel to 3.

Sorry for all these messages :roll: and a big thanks to Jürgen for this extension!

moss wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 pm
esq1 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:35 pm @Jürgen: I don't dare to ask the support is already awesome and fun :) , butWould it be possible for a future update if there were a label on the display for this funktions?
Not sure what you mean. The different panes and layouts are already named on the Push display. Do you mean to view a notification in Bitwig?
The PUSH Display is empty.

Hallo Jürgen,
ich beschreibe es lieber ohne G.Translate :-)
Wenn ich den Master Button gedrückt halte kann ich über die zweite Reihe, so wie du geschrieben hast, Clip luncher auf und einklappen etc. aber im PUSH Display wird mir nichts angezeigt. Das ist leer ohne Parameter Anzeige.

moss wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm
Alma Mare wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:06 pm Moss, I'm sorry to be a nuisance, but I had to point this out:

I was looking back at your video on the Launchpad X support in Bitwig ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1r8zePOmos ) because I wanted to check out the behaviour of the cursor keys on the top row (right now, for me, they just exit volume page and send me to Note page) and I noticed that at 2:20, you are showcasing the volume page and it behaves exactly as we described here :p
Ah, you mean when I press the 2nd row counting from the top! This is just a little rounding error depending on how hard you press the pads on this row. If it is hard it already lights the top pad.
Aight, I'll give it a better shot later today. As for the cursor buttons that light up in green in the top, are they meant to switch to the next/previous group of 8 tracks?

As for my other question, I already have a template with HW devices on each track. I've given up for now integrating the launchpad in that workflow, I'll just use it to control Bitwig itself.

Thanks, mate. You're a trooper! Cheers :tu:

peemge wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:05 pm I finally got it working: the problem was that my MIDI global channel was set to 1 instead of 3...
I was sure that I read somewhere that it should be set to 1. Is there somewhere where this is indicated? Loading the provided template didn't set the MIDI global channel to 3.

Sorry for all these messages :roll: and a big thanks to Jürgen for this extension!
Im glad you got it figured out.
I actually thought of mentioning the ch3 thing to you cause Moss suggested it when I was trouble shooting but I simply forgot (it was late when I was typing last night).

regarding the browser, maybe im doing something wrong but if I open polysynth and ahift+pad8, it does not open the browser, it opens the oscillator window and knobs (bottom row) dont seen to be doing anything that I can see.

Hey I have a question for you regards your beatstep and this has nothing to do with Moss' extension or even bitwig but do you experience 'double hits' on your beatstep? This is an issue for me and I dont know if its something that I can solve with settings or if I just have a lemon/bad unit.
Whenever I hit a pad that is triggering a short sample like a drum sound, there is about a %50 chance that it will trigger twice (from one hit on the pad). This is obviously very annoying.
I posted this question in the arturia sub forum but Im not sure how much traffic it gets.
This is a fairly common issue it seems, I googled it before, but I cannot find a solution

moss wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 pm
vincenzoml wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am Hi, the new note repeat mode on the launchpad pro is just amazing. One hidden gem is that aftertouch will change the velocity of the repeated notes (at least that's what seems to me... how is this controlled?).
Yes, that's how it works. There is nothing to configure additionally.
Well, I tried to do it again and it just doesn't work anymore, I've tried any setting in the aftertouch area of the setup. Can you explain better when and how that works? I badly want to play that again :) So is the expected behaviour that if I press a key and keep it pressed in note repeat mode, and change the pressure, the notes will have different velocities?

Also: you mentioned "new in the shift mode", what is that? Anyway I believe that I just want "shift+double" to be also mapped to another key; that would fit my use case quite well, even if also starting to record (instead of empty+overdub) would be interesting. But the current behaviour is perhaps easier in live looping.

Or maybe: could you add an option to invert the behaviour of "double" and "shift+double"? In live looping one really *does not* want to risk to accidentally stop the transport. And that would also address my use case.

Vincenzo

moss wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm
Alma Mare wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:06 pm Moss, I'm sorry to be a nuisance, but I had to point this out:

I was looking back at your video on the Launchpad X support in Bitwig ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1r8zePOmos ) because I wanted to check out the behaviour of the cursor keys on the top row (right now, for me, they just exit volume page and send me to Note page) and I noticed that at 2:20, you are showcasing the volume page and it behaves exactly as we described here :p
Ah, you mean when I press the 2nd row counting from the top! This is just a little rounding error depending on how hard you press the pads on this row. If it is hard it already lights the top pad.
For me it doesn't matter how hard I press on that row, the light always goes to the top row automatically. However, the actual volume will be as though it's on the second to top row. Then if I hit the top pad, the volume will adjust accordingly.

moss, would it be possible to add 1/2t, 1/2, 1/1t and 1/1 to the note repeat period and length?
I've attempted to do it myself, with partial success, by editing src/main/java/de/mossgrabers/framework/daw/constants/Resolution.java. Period seems to work when I update line 146 to 4.0 instead of 1.0. Although, the extension crashes when I go to change the note length. Bitwig then complains about going out of range.
Is there a good reason why 1/2 and 1/1 aren't there now?
By the way, I love the note repeat function! Many thanks!

hexfarmer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm I actually thought of mentioning the ch3 thing to you cause Moss suggested it when I was trouble shooting but I simply forgot (it was late when I was typing last night).
I saw Moss' suggestion, but I was so sure that it was ch.1 that I didn't understand why the heck he answered this :) When your certitudes tricks your objectivity...

hexfarmer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm regarding the browser, maybe im doing something wrong but if I open polysynth and ahift+pad8, it does not open the browser, it opens the oscillator window and knobs (bottom row) dont seen to be doing anything that I can see.
I think I came into this during my tests, but I couldn't reproduce it right now, it works as expected. Sorry

hexfarmer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm do you experience 'double hits' on your beatstep? This is an issue for me and I dont know if its something that I can solve with settings or if I just have a lemon/bad unit.
Whenever I hit a pad that is triggering a short sample like a drum sound, there is about a %50 chance that it will trigger twice (from one hit on the pad).
It happens sometimes, but I would not say at a 50% rate.
I have also an old MPD24 from Akai that is terrible with pads. It's the opposite problem; you have to hit really hard to obtain maximum velocity and no setting was enough to correct that. I finally place some rubber parts between the pads and the PCB, but now I have far more double strike than before.
Some folks say to loose some screws in order to have less pressure and avoid double strike. Maybe you could try that.
I unmount mine yesterday (while struggling to get the script working :wink:) an there are so many screws that fix the PCB to the front panel (23! see the picture ; 9 right under the pads) that you might be able to do some adjustment to improve your pads.

from https://synthnerd.wordpress.com/arturia-beatstep/

peemge wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:33 pm
Some folks say to loose some screws in order to have less pressure and avoid double strike. Maybe you could try that.
I unmount mine yesterday (while struggling to get the script working :wink:) an there are so many screws that fix the PCB to the front panel (23! see the picture ; 9 right under the pads) that you might be able to do some adjustment to improve your pads.
wow that is alot of screws.
Thanx for your suggestion, I will try this when I have some time

Moss, there are probably many posts like this, but I just wanted to say Thank You for all your hard work in doing what you do. You have opened up so many possibilities for many many people in their music creation environments and I am sure that we all appreciate it :)

esq1 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:23 pm
moss wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 pm
esq1 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:35 pm @Jürgen: I don't dare to ask the support is already awesome and fun :) , butWould it be possible for a future update if there were a label on the display for this funktions?
Not sure what you mean. The different panes and layouts are already named on the Push display. Do you mean to view a notification in Bitwig?
The PUSH Display is empty.

Hallo Jürgen,
ich beschreibe es lieber ohne G.Translate :-)
Wenn ich den Master Button gedrückt halte kann ich über die zweite Reihe, so wie du geschrieben hast, Clip luncher auf und einklappen etc. aber im PUSH Display wird mir nichts angezeigt. Das ist leer ohne Parameter Anzeige.
Ups, good catch! Will be fixed in the next update!

Super 😃...
Thanks a lot.. Fine 😃

hexfarmer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm regarding the browser, maybe im doing something wrong but if I open polysynth and ahift+pad8, it does not open the browser, it opens the oscillator window and knobs (bottom row) dont seen to be doing anything that I can see.
Just fixed several bugs with the Beatstep, this was one of them.

Return to “Controller Scripting”