DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 pm On that note, the Ableton Live sequencing on Push is pretty amazing, so if that could be implemented for Bitwig that would be super:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Press Note -> Select "Poly Seq."

pc999 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:08 pm 2- use shift + up/down arrows to go to the second half of the chromatic scale instead of the next octave. If we are using the chromatic scale then we only have the first 7 (C to F#) notes available to sequence and afaik we cant sequence the last ones (G to B).
I've been wondering about this too. I haven't had it long enough to figure out how to access the G to B notes, but there must be a way, no?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:36 pm
pc999 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:08 pm 2- use shift + up/down arrows to go to the second half of the chromatic scale instead of the next octave. If we are using the chromatic scale then we only have the first 7 (C to F#) notes available to sequence and afaik we cant sequence the last ones (G to B).
I've been wondering about this too. I haven't had it long enough to figure out how to access the G to B notes, but there must be a way, no?

Not that I know about it...

moss wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:21 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 pm On that note, the Ableton Live sequencing on Push is pretty amazing, so if that could be implemented for Bitwig that would be super:
Cool sequencer but I can't seem to figure out how to edit the note velocity, duration etc. like with the normal sequencer.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm
moss wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:21 pm
Cool sequencer but I can't seem to figure out how to edit the note velocity, duration etc. like with the normal sequencer.
That is currently not supported.

@moss do I need to do anything special to get the beat repeat working like how Ableton does it? https://youtu.be/OvZUJP-iwqI?t=53

Hi Jürgen,
two questions about the Maschine Mikro script:
- in the video you said you cannot display MIDI feedback on the Pads, had you tried changing the settings of the pads in Controller Editor? At "LED On" you'd have to change to "For MIDI in", I think. Color Mode "indexed" should also allow controlling the colors.
- what do you think about being able to press "SELECT" twice so that we can select FX tracks with the pads? If changing the pad colors really works this could be a nice way to show which select mode is active.

Hi Jürgen,

I've just installed the latest Bitwig Studio 3.1 beta 1 on my Mac. After the splash screen disappears, all that is left is a grey screen. I contacted beta@bitwig.com and they asked m to send them my `BitwigStudio.log` file. I took a closer look myself and it seems that there is a problem with the DrivenByMoss.bwextension file. Here is the relevant section of the log file...

<quote>
[2019-11-14 16:09:22 float-main-app info] Starting application version 3.1 Beta 1 revision 0b883c0a903b1d734f0163573932519d25e556b0
[2019-11-14 16:09:22 float-main-app info] Using Java version 12.0.2 from Oracle Corporation installed at /Applications/Bitwig Studio 3.1b1.app/Contents/PlugIns/JavaVM
[2019-11-14 16:09:22 float-main-app info] Starting with arguments
[2019-11-14 16:09:42 base-control-surface warning] Could not register Jython interpretter: org.python.jsr223.PyScriptEngineFactory
[2019-11-14 16:09:42 base-control-surface warning] Could not register JRuby interpretter: org.jruby.embed.jsr223.JRubyEngineFactory
[2019-11-14 16:09:42 extension-registry error] Error scanning extension file DrivenByMoss.bwextension:
java.io.IOException: No extensions found in /Applications/Bitwig Studio 3.1b1.app/Contents/Resources/Extensions/DrivenByMoss.bwextension
at iPS.Rn(SourceFile:94)
at bFU.ok(SourceFile:573)
at bFU.Rn(SourceFile:555)
at xTN.Rn(SourceFile:524)
at Lmp.mdF(SourceFile:74)
at Lmp.visitFile(SourceFile:16)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Unknown Source)
at Lia.mdF(SourceFile:622)
at Lia.Rn(SourceFile:604)
at nnH.Rn(SourceFile:276)
at C3D.Rn(SourceFile:881)
at bFU.mdF(SourceFile:514)
at bFU.ok(SourceFile:189)
at jDQ.run(SourceFile:178)
at BDq.run(SourceFile:284)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
</quote>

This wasn't a problem in 3.0.3 because, I guess, Bitwig didn't even include a copy of `DrivenByMoss.bwextension` embedded within the Bitwig application.

As an experiment, I deleted the `DrivenByMoss.bwextension` file from the `/Applications/Bitwig Studio.app/Contents/Resources/Extensions` location but the grey screen problem continues.

Any ideas?
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

One issue to report:
When the screen is set to show the clips (with names)and you open device view and then back, it goes to the session menu settings right away. Most functions remember what screens they were on when going back and forth. But this one seems to go to settings upon returning to the session view of the screen. Normally you'd want to get back to that screen with the clips, not the settings.

And a suggestion:
In poly seq mode it would be better to have the piano layout over the bottom 4 rows, thus giving two octaves for chord input rather than 1.5. And the keyboard layout is easier to visualize notes for input. Or maybe a setting to chose? Or maybe there is and I haven't come across it yet...

From the changes of unreleased version 8.00
"New: More parameters for note editing"

Velocity? Nudging and note length for the drumseqeuncer?
:pray: :pray: :pray:

carlca wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:40 pm As an experiment, I deleted the `DrivenByMoss.bwextension` file from the `/Applications/Bitwig Studio.app/Contents/Resources/Extensions` location but the grey screen problem continues.
I'm starting to think that this grey screen problem is nothing to do with the `DrivenByMoss.bwextension`. The fact that the log file indicated a problem with DrivenByMoss is a little concerning, though.

carlca wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:00 am
carlca wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:40 pm As an experiment, I deleted the `DrivenByMoss.bwextension` file from the `/Applications/Bitwig Studio.app/Contents/Resources/Extensions` location but the grey screen problem continues.
I'm starting to think that this grey screen problem is nothing to do with the `DrivenByMoss.bwextension`. The fact that the log file indicated a problem with DrivenByMoss is a little concerning, though.
I don't use any moss scripts and I have the grey screen as well, both on OS X El Capitan and macOS High Sierra. I think we'll likely see a fix for it soon.
-JH

Hi Moss

Installed 7.50 and works great on my Beatstep pro apart from one quirk. When entering notes in sequence mode sometimes the notes are entered outside the pattern loop.

So for example if the loop is 2 Bars long it may write the notes after bar 4 or even 8. Is there something I’m doing incorrect?

Thanks

JHernandez wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:51 am I don't use any moss scripts and I have the grey screen as well, both on OS X El Capitan and macOS High Sierra. I think we'll likely see a fix for it soon.
My point was that BWS 3.1 comes supplied with a Moss script embedded within the application itself, but nonetheless, I suspect this problem has more to do with the Graphics changes. As much as anything, I'm looking forward to investigating the inbuilt help for ALL devices 😀

Having said that, judging by the feedback shown at viewtopic.php?f=259&t=534662&start=45&s ... 3521fc6d71 it's probably worth leaving 3.1 well alone until a few more betas (betae?!) have been released 😉

Return to “Controller Scripting”