DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

moss wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 pm Cool, good to know. I'd like to get a grid controller, but I've already got a KK s88 mkII, a Novation SL mkI and a Novation Zero mkII, so I'm curious if something cheaper like a launchpad combined with what I have would cover the functions of a Push 2.
It depends on what you are after. If you just want to start clips, any grid controller will do. If you want to program drums it should have velocity and I can only suggest Launchpad Pro, Push or Maschine Mikro Mk3 (if you don't need sequencing). If you want to play it like an instrument it is only Push.
I'm thinking of grabbing the new launchpad x to use it as a portable midi controller since it has velocity and pressure sensitivity. Could you tell me why you think it is not suitable to be played like an instrument?

SirKen wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 pm
moss wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 pm Cool, good to know. I'd like to get a grid controller, but I've already got a KK s88 mkII, a Novation SL mkI and a Novation Zero mkII, so I'm curious if something cheaper like a launchpad combined with what I have would cover the functions of a Push 2.
It depends on what you are after. If you just want to start clips, any grid controller will do. If you want to program drums it should have velocity and I can only suggest Launchpad Pro, Push or Maschine Mikro Mk3 (if you don't need sequencing). If you want to play it like an instrument it is only Push.
I'm thinking of grabbing the new launchpad x to use it as a portable midi controller since it has velocity and pressure sensitivity. Could you tell me why you think it is not suitable to be played like an instrument?
Add the Pro and the new X to that list too! BTW Bitwig support for the new models will be ready mid-November.

It didn't last time I used it but I was using it with push 1 controller. You can make it do it your self. I'm doing it with a novation but should work the same. You need to set up an arp on a drum machine. When you turn the arp on it triggers the drum cells like a note repeat. I had launch pad set up nice so when you hit the user button on the top, the columns of buttons automate the note repeat resolution and time signature which is useful. Could do a similar thing with Push. Aftertouch/pressure from launch pad modulates the velocity control on the arp which varies the volume of the drum notes being triggered according to the pressure applied. This is the part of the effect I love. So expressive. You need to use the expressions modulator on the arp so that it receives the pressure input from the controller. Modulate velocity of the arp with pressure from the expressions modulator. You can configure the set up so it records the midi of the note repeats which for me is quite important. Do this by having two channels. Your drum machine on one and your midi/arp stuff on another. Route the midi channel into the drum machine channel. Play the midi on the midi channel and record the midi on to the drum machine channel. For me this is the best set up. Just a heads up, on the novation script aftertouch/pressure does not work on the drum machine/drum rack sequencer pads which is what I was asking moss about. It only works on one of the other note sections. Probably the same on the push script. Thanks

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi Moss,

I am attempting to use your software to control Bitwig via OSC using Haskell and the TidalCycles (http://tidalcycles.org (http://tidalcycles.org)) pattern language. (As an aside, for testing I have been developing a PureData equivalent of your Max/MSP demo patch which I can pull request later if you like: https://github.com/jarmitage/DrivenByMo ... OSCTest.pd (https://github.com/jarmitage/DrivenByMoss/blob/osctest-pd/resources/osc/OSCTest.pd)).

I have run into two issues that I would appreciate your advice with.

1. I cannot get clip actions to work, such as `/track/1/clip/1/record` and `/track/1/clip/1/launch`, neither in your Max/MSP patch, my Pd patch, or from Haskell/Tidal. Actions such as `/track/1/select` work fine, so I'm wondering what I'm missing or whether this is actually a bug. (Related to this, I am confused by the distinction of send vs. receive in your documentation, since the Max/MSP patch sends everything listed: https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMos ... trol-(OSC) (https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMoss/wiki/Open-Sound-Control-%28OSC%29)).

2. I updated from 7.21 to 7.40 to see if the above issue would resolve. Unfortunately this has led to the OSC plugin crashing with the message "OSC did something wrong: Trying to get a value while not being subscribed."

I am on Bitwig 3.0.3, and macOS 10.14.6.

Thank you for your software and your time!

jdkarmitage wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:13 pm I have run into two issues that I would appreciate your advice with.
Thanks for reporting. Both are bugs and will be fixed in the next update.

moss wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:19 pm Thanks for reporting. Both are bugs and will be fixed in the next update.
Brilliant, much appreciated :)

Hi Moss I recently got the launchpad pro which was why I was asking another question a few weeks ago about aftertouch on the drum machine section of the script. I recently saw they released Launch Pad x so I immediately got this instead of the pro. I'm pleased to read you plan to support this by mid November which is great. Really looking forward to trying this when its ready. Is it possible to sort the aftertouch for the pads on the drum machine view on the new launch pad x script? Will there be a way of utilising the custom launchpad x layouts with your script? Mine just arrived today but not even tested how this works my self yet. Thanks!

richielg wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:50 pm Hi Moss I recently got the launchpad pro which was why I was asking another question a few weeks ago about aftertouch on the drum machine section of the script. I recently saw they released Launch Pad x so I immediately got this instead of the pro. I'm pleased to read you plan to support this by mid November which is great. Really looking forward to trying this when its ready. Is it possible to sort the aftertouch for the pads on the drum machine view on the new launch pad x script? Will there be a way of utilising the custom launchpad x layouts with your script? Mine just arrived today but not even tested how this works my self yet. Thanks!
I already added that for you in 7.40. Have you tested it?

No I didn't realise there was an update. I can test today coz I''m sending the launch pad pro back tomorrow so then will have to wait till mid november to use the X.

I think the custom lay outs looks fantastic on the X. Not tested it yet. But if this works with your script then it will add a lot of value to my work flow. Will your script for the X support this feature? Going to test the new script now on the pro and get back to you shortly. Thanks

richielg wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:31 pm I think the custom lay outs looks fantastic on the X. Not tested it yet. But if this works with your script then it will add a lot of value to my work flow. Will your script for the X support this feature? Going to test the new script now on the pro and get back to you shortly. Thanks
The custom layouts are, as the name implies, custom and are a featrue of the standalone mode. Which means you can send various MIDI events in these modes. If you find a good use-case (e.g. for live) you could use the Generic Flexi instead to map anything you need.

I see what your saying. Yes I may well end up finding a use for this. Just reading about flexi as I have not tried this yet.

Aftertouch on drum machine seems to work well. Just tested it briefly. Using It made me want non destructive swing and accent per channel as opposed to just global. So I messaged Bitwig about this. Thanks

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to use the launchpad, or Push, to sequence tracks in the arranger mode (instead of just loops in the session) :?:

I mean, sequencing drums loops is quite nice, but sometimes I wanted to sequence somethings in a linear fashion so the compositions is always evolving, specially melodies. It would be pretty nice if we could use the launchpad or the Push to sequence the whole track instead of just a small loop.

Thanks

pc999 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 pm Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to use the launchpad, or Push, to sequence tracks in the arranger mode (instead of just loops in the session) :?:

I mean, sequencing drums loops is quite nice, but sometimes I wanted to sequence somethings in a linear fashion so the compositions is always evolving, specially melodies. It would be pretty nice if we could use the launchpad or the Push to sequence the whole track instead of just a small loop.

Thanks
It worked in the past but there is a long standing bug which broke it: https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... issues/140

Complain loudly ;-)

Hi , is there a way to map a off function , exemple arm off ? set arm = arm On , there is toggle , but no arm off or monitor Off for track basics :) Or am I missing something ?
Best regards :) / Stéphane

Ah and would it be possible to have more than 8 tracks with flexi ? :)

Return to “Controller Scripting”