DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

This Bitwig Studio Extension supports several controllers at once:
  • Ableton Push 1 / 2 / 3
  • Akai APC40 / APC40mkII
  • Akai APCmini
  • Akai Force
  • Akai MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One, MPC X
  • Arturia Beatstep
  • Electra One Mk I + II
  • ESI Xjam
  • Faderfox EC4
  • Generic Flexi (map lots of stuff to any controller!)
  • Mackie HUI
  • Mackie MCU (with additional support for icon QCon Pro X and V1-M)
  • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S mk I
  • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S mk II, A-series, M32
  • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S mk III
  • Native Instruments Maschine+, Mk2, Mk3, Studio, Mikro Mk3, JAM
  • Novation LaunchControl XL
  • Novation Launchkey Mk3 25, 37, 49, 61
  • Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3
  • Novation Launchpad Pro Mk1 / Mk3, MkII, X, Mini Mk3
  • Novation Remote SL, Mk I, Mk II, Mk III
  • Open Sound Control (OSC)
  • Utilities: Auto Color, Midi Monitor
  • Yaeltex Turn
Get the latest stable release from: https://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html

There are several in-depth video tutorials available: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... X9qGWuEeNm

For installation instructions see the manual which is included in the download.

Post all questions, wishes and discussion here.
Last edited by moss on Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:15 pm, edited 41 times in total.

Oh, I'm surprised to see the KK mkii on this list, in a good way! Personally I don't care much for the KK software, but if the display of the hardware could be used in a similar way to a Push2, that would be incredibly exciting. Did you manage to do that? I was always under the impression that NI are going out of their way to prevent such 'misuse' of their products.

New big update available, it requires Bitwig 2.3!

Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk 2 - v1.0
Support for Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol controller Version 2.
The feature set is identical to Ableton Live as described in the Kontrol manual.
Since the extension requires the Native Instruments Host Integration service it only works on Windows and Mac (no Linux).

Ableton Push 1/2 v9.51
  • New: Push 2: Limit names of tracks, layers, devices and parameter banks to 12 characters.
  • New: Limit texts of browser results to 14 characters.
  • New: Changed text of audio engine state to "Active" and "Off".
  • New: Displays a notification if no results are available in the browser.
  • Fixed: Program change view triggered a program change twice.
  • Fixed: In Groove mode no touch state was sent when changing a value.
  • Fixed: Touch state was not sent for master volume when changed via master knob.
  • Fixed: Some modes did not consume the delete button when used for resetting a value.
Akai APC40 v5.13
  • Fixed: The "Behaviour on Stop" setting was not respected when using the Stop button (only with the Play button).
MCU v2.61
  • Fixed: The "Behaviour on Stop" setting was not respected when using the Stop button (only with the Play button).
Launchpad v3.4
  • New: Added Piano play view (press Note twice).
  • New: Scene 1 button toggles device window in device mode.
  • New: Switched function of Double and Shift+Double.
  • Fixed: The duplicate button did always toggle repeat (should only when Shift is pressed).
  • Fixed: Could only randomly switch to Sequencer modes.
  • Fixed: Pro: Rarely happening lock up of device when switching modes (finally found it!)
OSC v5.50
  • New: Receives /device/layer/selected/... Same attributes as for a layer
  • New: Receives /device/drumpad/selected/... Same attributes as for a layer
  • New: Receives /track/{1-8}/volume/touched {0,1}
  • New: Receives /track/{1-8}/pan/touched {0,1}
  • New: Receives /track/{1-8}/send/{1-8}/touched {0,1}
  • New: Receives /device/layer/{1-8}/volume/touched {0,1}
  • New: Receives /device/layer/{1-8}/pan/touched {0,1}
  • New: Receives /device/layer/{1-8}/send/{1-8}/volume/touched {0,1}
  • New: Receives /device/param/{1-8}/touched {0,1}
  • New: Sends /device/exists {0,1}
  • New: Sends /track/{1-8}/clip/{1-N}/isStopQueued (does not work due to Bitwig bug)
  • New: Sends/Receives /click/preroll {-,0,1}
  • New: VU values are set to 0 when turned off
  • Fixed: Could not leave an empty layer with layer/parent.

Thankyou for adding Komplete Kontrol Support, this is excellent to have. I presume, as with Live, this only controls transport and DAW functions, but not devices? I did cobble together my own script for devices using the 8 knob template but it would be great if this could incorporate device control too as I am not certain I can use my script at the same time as yours (plus it still has no ability to scroll device pages)

aMUSEd wrote:Thankyou for adding Komplete Kontrol Support, this is excellent to have. I presume, as with Live, this only controls transport and DAW functions, but not devices?
The function set is identical to that of Ableton Live. I will do a tutorial video later on, in which I explain why this is the case and how it works.
You can control the transport features and Volume, Pan, Mute and Solo.

moss wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Thankyou for adding Komplete Kontrol Support, this is excellent to have. I presume, as with Live, this only controls transport and DAW functions, but not devices?
The function set is identical to that of Ableton Live. I will do a tutorial video later on, in which I explain why this is the case and how it works.
You can control the transport features and Volume, Pan, Mute and Solo.
Yes thankyou I do realise that, but does that mean it's not possible to control devices too? Personally I would have thought that was a primary reason for people to want a controller, not just a press a couple of transport buttons and control pan/mix.

Sure I can use my own script but it's a kludge and it would be great if it was all done via one solution

Anyway thanks for doing this - do you have a donation link somewhere?

Mixer and transport play/stop working fine so far but why does record arm overdub rather than start recording?

OK a few more things to work out - shift record does toggle recording - but only for the arranger view, not for clips (record without shift should record to clips as it does in Live).

Shift play should restart play but it doesn't.

Loop, metronome and tempo appear to be working fine, so does the mixer control, solo and mute (on track but not mixer strip), but not able to get pan working

aMUSEd wrote:OK a few more things to work out - shift record does toggle recording - but only for the arranger view, not for clips (record without shift should record to clips as it does in Live).

Shift play should restart play but it doesn't.

Loop, metronome and tempo appear to be working fine, so does the mixer control, solo and mute (on track but not mixer strip), but not able to get pan working
See here for a documentation (the "Ableton Live" page):
https://www.native-instruments.com/file ... -Sheet.pdf

I had it in front of me while going through it - these are things that are different from what is documented and what I can do in Live. eg record records

Can someone please help. I have the Novation 61 SL MKII I have Bitwig 2.2.2 I have placed the DrivenByMoss.bwextension in Documents/ Bitwig Studio/Extensions but the only options under Novation controllers is Impulse 25 Launchkey 49 and Launchpad. Should I not see a option for MKII. I am just trying to use the transport controls on the 61SL MKII to control Bitwigs transport and to be able to control the Mixer faders. any other functionality would be nice but I would be happy with that.

moblackproductions wrote:Can someone please help. I have the Novation 61 SL MKII I have Bitwig 2.2.2
You need 2.3.2.

Here is the tutorial video for the Komplete Kontrol mk II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ITpKDPCVk

OK thanks - all very cool. So the not recording into clips is by design? Still not clear why record arms overwrite mode instead of activates record? This is not how it works in Live.

I have found I can use the large jogwheel to record into clips though so there is a workaround.

aMUSEd wrote:OK thanks - all very cool. So the not recording into clips is by design? Still not clear why record arms overwrite mode instead of activates record? This is not how it works in Live.
I hear you :-) Will look into this but takes some time since I am busy the next week.

Return to “Controller Scripting”