boppad script idea, force cc74 to come before note and velocity to utilize instrument selector

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi I have the boppad and its great, it has per note pressure and radius awareness

I want to use the radius information of pad "A" as cc74 timbre to switch from a snare sound on pad "A" to a tom sound for instance

i can do this with instrument selector nested in a drum rack. then using the note expression timbre modulator on that nested selector to move the selector from snare samples to tom samples as i move outward on the radius of the pad.

this sort of works... but because the radius information comes in slightly after the note information the switch always happens on the second strike. I spoke with keith mcmillen guys online and its in the hardware that way but he said I could probably delay the note slightly in a bitwig script and and achieve the idea I'm trying for.

So how might I achieve an imperceptible delay of note information while allowing timbre to arrive at the modulators before?

Yes Bump!

It should be possible, as the Boppad will send these messages always, a script should be able to reverse the midi messages (not a delay, that would create too much of lag...).
Whenever it receives a noteon, dont send it out, just store it, when the first cc messages arrived, send them and send the noteon after them...
But I think it would make sense to have a mode within the firmware of the Boppad which would do that. It sounds more like a workaround...

One easy option could be using Piz Midi "MidiDelay" VST and delay only the notes, say, 1-2ms.

Doesnt work for me.
Pizmidi Exactdelay blocks CCs when only notes are delayed.

stufflin wrote:Doesnt work for me.
Pizmidi Exactdelay blocks CCs when only notes are delayed.
MidiDelay seems to let CC thru, ExactDelay doesn't...weird. If you can live with 1ms or more delay then try the former.

There's no reason that Keith MCmillen products support can't fix their firmware to do the CC correctly which should be CC first followed by the note-on. That's how it should work and does in correctly designed products. Roland positional sensing snare for example. If done as KM BopPad does it then when you play the center and move to the edge, the first note on the edge will be played as a center note because the CC (position) is behind the note-on message. That's just wrong and has been wrong in their firmware since 2017 and here it is 2024 and KM hasn't fixed it.

Lame that the firmware isnt open like linnstrument and midifighters. While it’s cool to talk about it on a forum for exposure… Did you guys message keith about this?

Not a fan of adding any extra processing either but It’s easy enough to make this extension like tj suggested. Has anyone made it yet? Does it always send a cc message and note on/off together? Shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes to program the swappy if the data is consistent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://instagram.com/kirkwoodwest/
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest

Return to “Controller Scripting”