Midi Fighter Twister support for Bitwig 2

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

I've written a simple extension for Midi Fighter Twister for use with Bitwig 2.1+. It got quite limited functionality so far. You can find it here, together with some documentation:
https://github.com/axelhjalm/bitwig-mid ... er-twister

For those of you who cannot or don't want to build the extension themselves, I've added the latest extension version for download. To run this you need to download:
1) MidiFighterTwister.bwextension and put it in the Bitwig extension folder
2) mft_bitwig.mfs and load it into your Midi Fighter Twister. This is to get the correct color and Midi CC:s for proper functionality.

Have fun and please let me know if you find it useful, find any bugs or have suggestions on how to improve it!

/Axel

Nice. Thank you! I've always had my eye on a MFT. Seems like such a great and portable tool. Will watch how this develops.

Can you manually map the other 8 knobs? Can you manually map the push buttons? The multiple pages? If I could use the bottom 8 knobs for the remote control on the active device, and manually assign everything else (e.g. To Cross fader, turn device ps on/off, other knobs, etc) would be very interesting.

Hello Axel! First of all, thank you very much for this script.
It's working very well for me.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. In track/device mode, a press on knob 7 could enable/bypass the device in focus,
and knob 8 could be used to show/hide the vst plugin window.

2. Knob 4 could scroll the playhead back and forth, as well as play/stop transport.

3. If possible it would be nice if knob 4 could flash in time with the BPM of the project.

These are some improvements I can think of. Let me know what you think.

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestions and glad that it works well for you!

I added play head scrolling, device toggle and show/hide plugin as per your suggestions. Pulsing on bpm is already there when a song is playing, I will look into keeping it flashing always if that's what you mean?

The new release is here (includes a new mfs file with updated mappings)
https://github.com/axelhjalm/bitwig-mid ... es/tag/0.2

enjoy!
/Axel

Thank you so much for these additions.
If you could make it flash in sync with the transport, as as kind of visual metronome, it would be cool!

Cool thing! Thanks a lot!

Suggestion from me:
Knob 1 - press to solo/unsolo selected track
Knob 2 - press to mute/unmute selected track

I just wanted to say again, how happy I'm with this extension by @pawnbrowker!
Actually my very first knobs controller I'm using all the time after 2-3 years of search and trying things out....

Thanks for this script! Was looking for a suitable controller for weeks now and finally found your script. You made me buy a midi fighter twister. Thanks!! I really hope you Will keep updating It now and then.
Cheers!

Hey,

glad you all enjoy the script, it means a lot to hear!

I just release version 0.3, please try it out: https://github.com/axelhjalm/bitwig-mid ... es/tag/0.3

In brief I've added preset browsing, fine and coarse control for parameters (configurable by user). Documentation on github is updated with the changes.

If you have other ideas please let me know and maybe I can add them!

cheers

Hi Pawnbroker

I just got my midifighter and it's amazing so far.
I have some strange behaviour with the bigwig script when controlling the parameters. When I turn the knobs, the increase to the right is faster then to the left. Also when I turn it fast to the left, it seems as if the parameter also increases a bit to the right. The effect is when I 'wiggle' the knob around one point, the parameter does not move around one point but increases. When I turn it slow the increase turning right is also more course then to the left. I tested it with Ableton to see if it was my midi twister, but it seems to work fine there. Do you have the same issue?
Btw the volume and pan parameter work fine for that matter.

Hi,

I noticed that too, will look into it! I accidentaly changed the side button CC:s in the last update, which broke the drum sequencer, will fix that also.

I just released version 0.5 which fixes the encoders (hopefully). I also added a page (access via lower left side button / Page 3) with support for up to 8 sends, loop region selection and toggle, zoom in/out.

See documentation for more details!

Link to release:
https://github.com/axelhjalm/bitwig-mid ... es/tag/0.5

Wow you're fast. Can't wait to try it tonight

Seems I mixed up coarse and find control scales (so by default parameter encoder will move slowly). I'll fix it, but in the mean time, you can either press the encoder to change mode or change the value in the settings page for the controller in Bitwig.

Hi Pawnbroker,

I'm sorry to say that the control issue is still there (unless I did something wrong in the installation, but I tried twice). What I found is that if you pass center value to the right, the value increases more then it decreases, meaning the value slowly increases when 'wiggling'. Also, the further the value is from the center, the bigger the effect is. But when you are in the left of the center value decreases more then it increases, so the effect is the opposite. Maybe this helps you trouble shoot whats happening. Assuming you have the same of course.

And thanks for adding even more funtions!

I found that Knob 13 is also end of section not the start of the section.

Lastly, my suggestion is to keep the layout of the mixer and device page the same. Now it feels as if the layout is turned 90degrees. If they are consistent, the interface feels more natural to me.
I would suggest to make the bottom knobs the send knobs (9-14). Then I would keep knob 1-4 the same as the device page. Then you could make knob 5-8 to do the other functions (like zoom, section start point, section end point) another function you could add is scroll left/right and increase decrease beat grid size (maybe with pushes).

Another suggestion might be a dedicated volume mixer page (16 volumes) . I'm not sure if this fits the rest of the layout though. I really like you philosophy of selecting the track and then have the knobs do dedicated things on that track. The fact that knob 1 scrolls through tracks is brilliant and very quick and intuitive imo. It feels that this controller layout you are making is really focussed on production and less on live use. Which I think is a good thing.

Keep up the good work and thanks again for sharing your script.
Last edited by M-Prod on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Controller Scripting”