New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

RELATED
PRODUCTS

moss wrote:Are you using the latest version? This should control Pan by default.
Yep, latest version from your website.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

moss wrote: Yes, but using the icon QCon Pro X
I hate you :hihi:

I know they are not that expensive (relatively) but I have nowhere to put it :cry: Anyways, looks like a winner, thanks for your continued work!

Hi Guys, an hi Moss

I'm a faderport 8 & bitwig user as well.
Thanks for your MCU Script! If i can help you with anything, Reports, tests etc... let me know.

Just released an update 2.1 which should make people with devices like icon Platform M, Faderport 8 or Zoom R16 more happy:
  • New: Startup mode is now panorama
  • New: When you touch a volume fader, volume mode is temporarily activated until you release the fader.
  • New: Support to switch editing modes (track, panorama, volume, device) for devices who have no dedicated mode buttons. Option 1 is to enable the new setting to use the vertical zoom buttons to switch editing modes. Option 2 is to assign the new functions "Previous mode" and "Next mode" to function buttons.
  • New: Setting to use the faders like the editing knobs (enable for devices which do not have knobs).
Enjoy!

Cool! :-)

Thanks moss!
Will give it a try on the Platform M.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

thanks moss!!!!

i will do some testing on presonus f8

Hi moss,

Thanks for the fp8 support. The faders now control the device parameters in device mode. :party:
and the track left and right buttons select the previous and next device, but when I try to switch to bank mode to select the next parameter bank I get a nullPointerException:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at de.mossgrabers.mcu.MCUControllerExtension.updateFaders(MCUControllerExtension.java:601)
at de.mossgrabers.mcu.MCUControllerExtension.updateVUandFaders(MCUControllerExtension.java:544)
at de.mossgrabers.mcu.MCUControllerExtension.updateButtons(MCUControllerExtension.java:449)
at de.mossgrabers.mcu.MCUControllerExtension.flush(MCUControllerExtension.java:177)
at Zhz.kcS(SourceFile:34)
at ioO.NKo(SourceFile:264)
at qjj.Wcd(SourceFile:82)
at ioO.jtS(SourceFile:249)
at XbA.Gnn(SourceFile:242)
at ASZ.r_(SourceFile:261)
at CBC.run(SourceFile:83)
at ASZ.run(SourceFile:115)

Also I can't seem to get into track mode edit mode, but I think this is because the track button triggers the pan button as well, so I have sent off to PreSonus about that. If they fix it that might solve that problem.

Thanks for your time on this. I tried to have a go updating the bitwig mcu javascript script from APIv1 to v2 and customizing it for the fp8 but I didn't get very far. Rewriting the deprecated methods was too much for me.

elnubis wrote: Thanks for the fp8 support. The faders now control the device parameters in device mode. :party:
and the track left and right buttons select the previous and next device, but when I try to switch to bank mode to select the next parameter bank I get a nullPointerException:

Thanks for reporting, will fix it.

Small bugfix is up:

#2.2
* Fixed: Crash when using faders as knobs and no track is selected.

Hi moss,

thanks for the fix. I don't get the error in the console window anymore, but banking through the device pages in devices mode still doesn't seem to work. With bank selected pushing the next and previous buttons shifts to the next device in the chain (the same as when channel is selected for tracking). The other problem is that when I am in devices mode and try to change between channel (to track left and right) and bank (to bank left and right) the script freezes and shows Please select a track... in the display.

The track and bank buttons of the controller share the same left and right buttons. When you switch between track and bank, no midi messages are sent, it only changes the midi note values that the left and right buttons send, but that seems to trip up the script.

Once again, thanks for spending time on this.

This is so awesome, I just got hold of a iCon platform m (with display) and love it, brilliant work Moss!

A couple of observations:
- The Mixer button does the same thing as the Write button, is this intended behaviour?
- Neither direction of zoom works when enabled in the prefs, but then this is best disabled anyway to switch between the modes.
- Pressing the wheel switches from "Track" to "Device", while turning it with vertical zoom enabled goes through all four modes. Would it be possible to have all four modes available when pressing the wheel? This would be much faster plus the zoom functionality would be there too.

On a more general note: Does the Mackie protocol allow to use the faders to control devices as well or are they 'hard wired' to the mixer? Being able to control for example an 8-band eq completely would be even more awesome (fader for gain, pot for freq and press-pot for q perhaps?). But then the limitations of the display might make this less attractive in reality.

Lastly, how is the behaviour on a device level when using extenders? For example with one extender page 1 with 8 params on unit 1, page 2 with 8 params on unit 2 and when we hit the bank button page 3 on device 1 and page 4 on device 2?

Vathek wrote: - The Mixer button does the same thing as the Write button, is this intended behaviour?
No, it is not. I will ask icon if they can change it in the Firmware. For the time being I think you can also change it with the Platform M editor.
Vathek wrote: - Pressing the wheel switches from "Track" to "Device", while turning it with vertical zoom enabled goes through all four modes. Would it be possible to have all four modes available when pressing the wheel? This would be much faster plus the zoom functionality would be there too.
Good idea. Will think about that.
Vathek wrote: On a more general note: Does the Mackie protocol allow to use the faders to control devices as well or are they 'hard wired' to the mixer? Being able to control for example an 8-band eq completely would be even more awesome (fader for gain, pot for freq and press-pot for q perhaps?). But then the limitations of the display might make this less attractive in reality.
Lastly, how is the behaviour on a device level when using extenders? For example with one extender page 1 with 8 params on unit 1, page 2 with 8 params on unit 2 and when we hit the bank button page 3 on device 1 and page 4 on device 2?
That's a bit weird. I configured it that on each device 8 parameters will be shown but actually a bank contains always 8 or 9 parameters, which means that you can edit 8 or nine parameters. So you get not much benefit for device editing with multiple devices.

Thanks for the information, I'll have a look at the iMap software, hopefully it should work in a virtual machine as well.

And sorry about being unclear about that last part, I used the word 'device' for different things, which I think is the confusing part. In the last sentence really be 'unit 1' and 'unit 2', the actual physical Platform M and X, not Bitwig devices. Does it make more sense now?

Vathek wrote:In the last sentence really be 'unit 1' and 'unit 2', the actual physical Platform M and X, not Bitwig devices. Does it make more sense now?
Thats what I understood and my comment was about.

Ah ok, so now I'm confused :)

I guess I'm not sure what your 'weird' was targeted at and assumed you meant my question.

So do I understand correctly that it is not possible to have Bitwig Device Page 1 on MCU unit 1 and Bitwig Device Page 2 on MCU unit 2 etc? If so is that a limitation of the protocol or would this perhaps in the future be possible to implement?

Return to “Controller Scripting”