Open Sound Control (OSC) is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mathiross wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:29 pm The laptop is on a keyboard played by another musician who can monitor his actual settings directly on bitwig. The keyboard sound presets are in an instrument selector on track 1.
A second 10" screen is pluged in the same laptop and placed next to my foot pedal where I play a midi wind controller. My sound presets are in an instrument selector on track 2. While playing live, I would like to keep an eye on my actual settings via this screen thanks to OSC.
This is why I need to monitor the active layer, and why not, to know which are previouses and nexts layers to appease my brain while a live performance :)
You can apply a trick, which I also use for a live setup. Instead of trying to visualise the selector layers you can use clip or scene names.
For each layer/sound create a clip on the track with the instrument selector. In each clip set the automation value of the first parameter of the instrument selector to match the required layer. If you now start the clip it will automatically select the matching sound! If you do the same for track 1, you can select both sounds by starting the scene. Another advantage is that you can also add backing tracks and start/select everything with the press of a button.
In your OSC viewer you can either use the name of clips of the track or the scenes.

:tu: :tu: :tu:
This solution seems to match with our needs !! I saw once a tutorial about how to use these famous "dummy clips" and I didn't make the link with my actual needs !
So great, we also need to launch some samples and sound FX.... Finally, just with 1 foot pedal switch, you can play your whole concert setlist !
Jürgen, thanks a lot !! I've a lot of work now !

Mathiross wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:26 am :tu: :tu: :tu:
This solution seems to match with our needs !! I saw once a tutorial about how to use these famous "dummy clips" and I didn't make the link with my actual needs !
So great, we also need to launch some samples and sound FX.... Finally, just with 1 foot pedal switch, you can play your whole concert setlist !
Jürgen, thanks a lot !! I've a lot of work now !
Great! Post a photo of your next gig!

Some compositions are on their way...
Still a few things to learn and I'll be able to post a preview !

Hey, I have a question concerning the use of osc with kontakt instruments. The embertone blakus cello vst, provides a costum touchOSC layout, to control the parameters of the instrument, but i cannot make it work with bitwig. The touchOSC template you provided works for me without any issues. I think the problem is, that bitwig does not foward the osc messages directly to a certain track/vst? Thanks a lot for any hints :)

d.noel wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm Hey, I have a question concerning the use of osc with kontakt instruments. The embertone blakus cello vst, provides a costum touchOSC layout, to control the parameters of the instrument, but i cannot make it work with bitwig. The touchOSC template you provided works for me without any issues. I think the problem is, that bitwig does not foward the osc messages directly to a certain track/vst? Thanks a lot for any hints :)
I guess the template translates to MIDI CC and does not send OSC to the Kontakt instrument?

moss wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:26 pm I guess the template translates to MIDI CC and does not send OSC to the Kontakt instrument?
Thanks for your quick answer :)
Yes, I think so, too. But is it possible to forward the osc messages directly to the kontakt instrument, with your osc script?

d.noel wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm
moss wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:26 pm I guess the template translates to MIDI CC and does not send OSC to the Kontakt instrument?
Thanks for your quick answer :)
Yes, I think so, too. But is it possible to forward the osc messages directly to the kontakt instrument, with your osc script?
No.

Checking out the current state of everything Bitwig and also checked your Open Stage Control template Jürgen. It's very nice!

Seems like the new OSC 1.0 alpha isn't able to load your template properly. See picture. Would be nice to know what to do to get things back, then I would help.

irre wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:07 pm Checking out the current state of everything Bitwig and also checked your Open Stage Control template Jürgen. It's very nice!

Seems like the new OSC 1.0 alpha isn't able to load your template properly. See picture. Would be nice to know what to do to get things back, then I would help.

Won't have a look until this is at least a Beta. But feel free to have a go :-)

I used to use Lemur until it stopped working a few versions ago. I seem to remember reading here that Bitwig are aware and working on it.

Does it work again in newer versions of Bitwig? Can't use Open Stage Control as I have no internet connection in the studio.

wvshpr wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:41 pm I used to use Lemur until it stopped working a few versions ago. I seem to remember reading here that Bitwig are aware and working on it.

Does it work again in newer versions of Bitwig? Can't use Open Stage Control as I have no internet connection in the studio.
Up to my knowledge, everything works fine. But I do not know about Lemur.

Greetings-

I'm very new to all of this, but I believe there's a small error in the documentation. Using DrivenbyMoss 8.98, the OSC module with the demo Max script.

(Thanks for DrivenbyMoss, a really rich and deep piece of work, truly valuable!)

On p. 38 of the PDF, section 10.3.10, I believe the filter columns in the seventh bullet point are not correct. Via Max, I get /browser/filter/2 for "Location", 5 for "Tags" and 1 for "Favorites". I haven't as yet ascertained the others.

I also had two questions. It seems these are asked a lot, but I don't feel I have any definitive answer.

1) After sending "/browser/preset", Bitwig sends enough info for me to parse and send something back like "/browser/result/4/select". Does this action exist, or must I repeatedly send "/browser/result/+" to select the device preset I want?

2) In both the OSC documentation and in the Java API docs, it seems one can set the name of a clip, but is it possible to get the name of a clip somehow? In Bitwig, I store the relevant preset name as the name of the clip, so a programmatic link between clip name and preset selection by name would be really handy.

Thanks so much!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

cturner wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:09 pm 1) After sending "/browser/preset", Bitwig sends enough info for me to parse and send something back like "/browser/result/4/select". Does this action exist, or must I repeatedly send "/browser/result/+" to select the device preset I want?
Best is to look at the Open Stage Control template which is included as well. the Open Stage Control software is free, I made also several videos about it, check out my Youtube channel.
cturner wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:09 pm 2) In both the OSC documentation and in the Java API docs, it seems one can set the name of a clip, but is it possible to get the name of a clip somehow? In Bitwig, I store the relevant preset name as the name of the clip, so a programmatic link between clip name and preset selection by name would be really handy.
You can only display (get) the name, not write:
/track/{1-8}/clip/{1-8}/name

I've checked all the filters now:

1: Favorites
2: Location
3: File Type
4: Category
5: Tags
6: Creator

I notice also that bullet point nine should read "/browser/result/+", not "preset".

I looked at your Open Stage Control JSON and I guess interaction by name is hobbled by the Bitwig UI paradigm. I saw some more direct messages coded in your Java source, but those don't seem to work for me.

Thanks again!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Return to “Controller Scripting”